Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-22-2005, 08:39 PM

Question gas

hey, does anybody have a rough idea of how many "gallons per hour" my TJ will use while off-roading? I went out on a run the other week just to "get used to" off-roading, and noticed that gas disappears very quickly, especially going up large hills or in 4L. I have a 4.0L Auto.

Basically, I'm wondering how long you think it would take to eat up all 19 gallons if I was in the backcountry.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:50 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Mike, I suppose there are a ton of variables involved here, but I can tell you I have spent more then a few full days in Low range crawling out here in the east and I have never used up more then 12 gals off road in any single day.

Some of these days have been quite long, over 12 hours.

Thats the best I can do to give you some very variable guidance.

Hope it helps.

Frank
Old 12-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

As Frank said, lots of variables involved.

Several of us did a Rubicon run and we spent the better part of 3 days on the trail (about 8 hrs per day). I had more than 1/3 tank left when I finished (started pretty close to full). That was with a stick and 4:1 t-case. If I remember correctly, Robert used about the same amount with his automatic tranny. Day #2 of the trip was spend in low range, 1st gear, all day long. FWIW, we traveled about 18 miles over those 3 days.