Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Frank,
I'll pass on my thoughts on batteries, having been a ham operator for 30+ years and never without a handie talkie for the past 15.

Ni-cad and Ni-mh both have a self discharge problem. While Ni-mh are better than Ni-cad, they will still go flat just sitting there. Li-Ion are better, but in my opinion, find a radio that uses plain old alkaline batteries.....or at least one where you can alkaline or recharable cells.

Alkaline batteries have a shelf life that is measured in years and can they be readily obtained at any corner quikie mart. Rechargable batteries are great for daily use.....and they do like to be used every day. They suck at sitting around, waiting for an emergency to happen.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by T.Dome
frank,
instead of a flashlight, how about a head-light to keep your hands free while wrenching, walking........... whizzing... etc.

probably more compact.

also get a reflective space blanket that is not silver, if there is an air search and you use it for signaling you want a reflection not found in nature, gold comes to mind.
IMO you would want at least three lights. A head lamp to keep your hands free when needed, a shake light to conserve your battery supply (the Nightstars Stu reviewed would be my choice), and a high intensity flashlight (I like Streamlights Propoly 4aa Lux Led for this) for times when extra light is needed.

For fire starting I would throw in a Magnesium fire starter.

My first aid kit has almost as many comfort items as life saving ones. Sunscreen, bug dope, tummy aids, sanitary napkins for my better half (good for sterile dressings in a pinch), some fifty cent ponchos are what I can remember off the top of my head.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:13 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Blaine and I had an opertunity to chat last night and he gave me a better idea on the fishing vest, recomending a tactical vest.

We have a company called Galls located here that sells all types of Police equipment. I will check them out in the next few days.

I did find a vest online that might fit the bill nicely. It has 15 nice size pockets that look to be bigger then what I have seen on fishing vests.

Here is a link if anyone would like to check it out.

Cost about $53.00

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1234

Thanks Blaine!

Have a great day,

Frank
Old 12-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Hi folks, I just came across a rather neat radio made by Sony. It is very small, uses just 1 AAA battery and covers AM/FM, TV and Weather bands. Wal-mart sells it for $26.97.

Here?s the data from the Sony site.

Tune in to Sony Style with the SRF-M37V TV/Weather/AM/FM Radio Walkman. Perfect for an intense workout, this product features 25 Memory Preset Tuning (5TV/5Weather/10FM/5AM), 5 Direct Key Preset Memory, an LCD Digital Display with a Clock, and a Local/Distant (DX) Switch that provides optimal reception of both close and distant radio stations. So spice up your workout with a new radio station, Sony's SRF-M37V produces the sound you need to get your adrenaline pumping.

Here is a link with more detail if anyone is interested.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Sony_SRF_M37V

This radio comes with a set of headphones that I would probably replace with ?ear buds? to save space.

Stu, thanks for the reminder on the rechargeable batteries, you?re right. Use them or they drain stone dead.

I do keep a small older ICON 2-Meter radio in my GoBag. It uses rechargeable AA?s and will work well on simple everyday alkaline batteries as well.

I appreciate the reminder.

Ron, I am not sure I am following your discretion of the candle and lantern holder. I?m sure it?s me but could you give it another try, maybe with a picture for those of us who are verbage challenged?

Thanks my friend. How is Rita doing? I hope all is well with you.

Frank
Old 12-10-2005, 10:35 AM

Frank, they have gone up in price a bit.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Don
Old 12-10-2005, 10:56 AM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Commonly called BOB on the gun forums (Bug Out Bag).

Mine will include all the guns I own, thousands of rounds of ammo, 2 tubes of chapstick, and one bottle of water.

I will then take whatever I need from people who don't have guns.

You'll need that chapstick when someone takes your guns from you
Old 12-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mnjeeper
You'll need that chapstick when someone takes your guns from you
only outta my cold dead hands....
Old 12-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks Ron, for taking the time to post the link. I appriciate it.

I followed it and found a deluxe version of that candle lantern which includes an LED flashlight in the base of the unit.

Here?s the link

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=21754139

At $28 dollars it is a bit pricey but I think I may order one, along with 3 replacement candles for $2 per pack of 3.

Each candle lasts for 9 hours.

The LED flashlight they say will burn for over 40 hours.

Between this Lantern/Light and my other portable light sources I think I?ll have what I want.

Now I need to find a ?crank to recharge type? Combo, Light/Radio/Blender in compact size.

LOL

I have a new name for my Emergency GO Bag; I will now call it the E-GO Bag, then again, BOB works too!

Frank
Old 12-10-2005, 02:53 PM

I found an even better Sony Walkman AM/FM TV Weather radio that is weather resistant. Cost is about $37, and it uses 2 AAA batteries.

Here?s some info and a link if you want to take a look see.

Sony presents the SRF-M80V S2 Sports Walkman digital tuning TV/ weather/AM/FM stereo armband radio. Strap this ergonomically designed Walkman player on your arm and spring into action. The TV tuner and Weather Band tuning function enables you to listen to TV stations and local weather broadcasts, while the direct weather button offers one button-tuning of weather bands. The convenient LED display angle is easy to read on the run. Bad weather is no match for S2, as the water resistant Sports series design keeps your music pumping. Tune in with the digital AM/FM stereo tuner and surf your favorite stations using 25-station preset memory. Also featuring a stop watch with a split timer - the SRF-M80V is the perfect companion for any activity where timing is essential. Headphones are supplied - so buy today Ready, set, go!

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Sony_SRF_M80V

Frank
Old 12-10-2005, 03:10 PM

I think this last post confirmed it. Nuts!
I live in hurricane country so we do maintain an evacuation pack. But I'm sorry, it doesn't include guns.
Oh, and for the post that said "what about a nuke?" Get real. By the time you know it's there you are fried ass meat.
This is a really scary fantasy you're having.
do

Oh yea, and for that "emergency in which you don't want to be found" don't turn on the d*%$ EPIRB!
Old 12-10-2005, 03:33 PM

With the vest idea, you may want to check out www.cheaperthandirt.com (it's where I buy ammo sometimes to fulfil mysilly Rambo fantasy). I would post more links, but I am having trouble getting a wireless signal in my 80 foot deep bunker

They do a good bit of surplus things, and a lot of odd things, but they have some deals in there too. My first aid kit is from there, and a bunch of odds and ends like a spool of parachute line, etc.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captdoogie
I think this last post confirmed it. Nuts!
I live in hurricane country so we do maintain an evacuation pack. But I'm sorry, it doesn't include guns.
Oh, and for the post that said "what about a nuke?" Get real. By the time you know it's there you are fried ass meat.
This is a really scary fantasy you're having.
do

Oh yea, and for that "emergency in which you don't want to be found" don't turn on the d*%$ EPIRB!

Yup! Nuts! You caught me!

Can?t help it at times. It?s a genetic thing, or was it inbreed in me in the Corps. Whatever.

This is kinda a friendly place here, or at least it is most of the time when we attempt to discus things, share ideas and maybe just maybe some of us who aren?t as bright as others on all topics can help one another flush things out.

This post was for my benefit, and perhaps of benefit to others too.

It?s great that you keep an emergency kit ready to go in case of a hurricane. Care to share what is in it? I know I?d like to know.

As for the guns, there is no need for a chain-jerking contest. I sure own my share.

Do I plan to keep one in my EGO Bag? Probably not.

But then again I figure I can kill anything with my Leatherman if I have to. But that?s just me, Nuts!

For those saner then me guns sound reasonable to me. (Is that a circular statement or what!?)

Seriously, what?s in your EGO Bag? Insane minds want to know!

Besides, maybe there is someone here who isn?t speaking up and flapping his or her lips like I do all the time.

Perhaps instead they are listening and trying to learn and gathering info to put together a much needed and much put-off Go Bag for themselves and their families.

In any regard I am sure they can make their own decisions as to their ?right to keep and bear arms? or choose "on their own" not to.

Hmmmm?.Maybe I need a copy of the U.S. Constitution in my EGO Bag too!

Naaa, I have it memorized. (Oh if the old gray matter would only work when I need it too! LOL! But oh so true!)

Have a great night. I plan to!

Frank
Old 12-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mnjeeper
With the vest idea, you may want to check out www.cheaperthandirt.com (it's where I buy ammo sometimes to fulfil mysilly Rambo fantasy). I would post more links, but I am having trouble getting a wireless signal in my 80 foot deep bunker

They do a good bit of surplus things, and a lot of odd things, but they have some deals in there too. My first aid kit is from there, and a bunch of odds and ends like a spool of parachute line, etc.

Neat place this CheaperThenDirt place.

Here is a description from a page there with military type vests those who wish to exercise their right to Keep and Bear arms in the EGO Bags might find helpful.

Enhanced Load Bearing Vest, latest design with pistol belt, fully adjustable padded shoulder straps, quick-release waist and chest buckles, two inside pouches are single magazine (AR-15) pouches, two outside pouches are double magazine (AR-15) pouches; all secured with snaps and Velcro, BLACK

Neat, I am starting to remember how to mark the text up to do fancy things with it! I?m good! (Or at least not as feeble as I was a few minutes ago!)

Here?s a link to the page on the CheaperThenDirt site.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/d...TJ0BT6WNPQ3GUC

Frank
Old 12-10-2005, 09:07 PM

My Bug-Out kit includes:

-Shotgun(12Gauge 11-87 Upland Special w/full choke if you care which) a case of shells and a bird bag to carry the ammo
-Rifle(Mini-14 Ranch) inc. 200 rounds in a vacuum sealed baggie +2 loaded 30 Round Mags.
-.38 Special revolver +2 boxes(vacuum sealed)
-$1000 Cash - 50 x $20 Bills(at a minimum - I also take whatever cash I have on hand)
-4D-cell Mag Light(and extra batteries)
-Sony walkman Am/FM Radio(& AA Batteries)
-20 Gallons Gas(4x 5 gallon Jerry Cans)
-10 Gallons Water(and I always have more around for my water dispenser)
-40lbs Dog Food(for the dogs, and me if necessary)
-20+ 'Zone' Bars(similar to Powerbars, but taste better and have more nutrition)
-10 old MREs(probably expired)
-2x Space Blankets
-My Favorite'Green Girl' blanket from college(long story)
-MSR Dragonfly stove(this thing will burn Veggie Oil)
-pUr Hiker water purifier
-500W Power Inverter for the Car +100ft extension cord

I keep most of this stuff in a rubbermaid tote out in the garage, I know I have other stuff in there, but basically it is the remnants of my old hiking bag plus some other stuff thrown in and the stuff I keep around the house that I wouldn't forget as well as the stuff that stays in the car.

I have a GPS in my Car, but I also bring a compass with me(and have good Topo maps of Texas) - I probably don't need it, but it is nice to have - and I am good at Land Nav. I also have a XM MyFi Portable XM Radio so I can listen to Fox News as long as the sattelites are floating. My Cell phone has a car charger - basically as long as I have gas I am pretty cool, and when gas runs out we have bigger problems than electricity can help me handle!

I feel like the most important things are cash, weapons and my vehicle - unfortunately I can't fit everything in the Wrangler, but I would love to get an offroad trailer one of these days and at that point I would be able to!!!

Past Jeeps:
Shale Green '03 Rubi Auto
Empire Blue '69 CJ5 225 3speed
Old 12-10-2005, 09:24 PM

Frank, get the reflector option for any candle lantern you get. Weighs an oz. or so and worth it to reflect the light in one direction if needed. The optional citronella candles might be a great option - being dual purpose.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed
Frank, get the reflector option for any candle lantern you get. Weighs an oz. or so and worth it to reflect the light in one direction if needed. The optional citronella candles might be a great option - being dual purpose.
Hi Folks,

Thanks Ron for the advice. I ordered two of those Candle Lanterns today from Campmor along with the reflectors, and 2 packs of candles with 3 nine-hour candles each. I went with the regular candles, as the citronella and my nose don?t always get along.

I appreciate your advice on these. They look like a nice product for what I am looking for.

Folks in the next few days I plan to go through this entire post and collect and organize all the ideas presented and put them in some type of grouping. As soon as I have that done I will post it.

I also plan on taking a cut at an outline for an EGO Communications Plan. When I get it done I will post it for comments and suggestions and make any needed changes. Maybe I can put it up as a word document so people can pull it down and type in their own data to make it a real personal plan.

There is one area I need a little more help with and that is how to stay warm, if need be when we have to leave. Most likely I would have my Jeep or my truck, but who knows.

We have space blankets on the list, and a few candles and a few hand warmers, but I don?t feel comfortable that we have flushed out the best ?stay warm? solution. Does anyone have any ideas they could recommend?

One last note, I stopped by Lowe?s before and bought 10 chemical light sticks. These were on clearance (Halloween leftovers) for 27 cent each. I can live with Orange and Red and Blue for 27 cent each.

Thanks folks, if you have any other ideas you?d like to post please feel free to do so, and give some thought to the ?Stay Warm? issue, it needs some help.

Have a great night,

Frank
Old 12-12-2005, 05:41 PM

Frank, polypropylene long johns are light, and work well. A set of these in a vacumn packed bag from your food saver are small and light, and waterproof til you need them. The food saver works great for sealing and vacumn packing small items and clothes for storage. I try to keep a good/hooded raincoat that is 3/4 length around close. If I can keep mostly dry and windproof-I am warm.
Most everything I keep in my staged bags are in foodsaver pouches. Knives stay dry and rust free, etc. A knit stocking cap will keep your head warm, and most of the bodys heat loss if through the head and feet-especially when sleeping. Fleece gloves can keep your hands warm, but are useless when wet, and won't break the wind. Leather gloves rarely keep your hands warm, but are great for working in. I like the knit gloves with the rubber grippy palms, especially if they have a light thinsulate layer. Tight fitting, warm, cheap-around $4/pr.; and they dry well with little shrinking.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:16 AM

The suggestion for polypropylene or otherwise synthetic clothing is a good one, because the first thing you should do is leave all the cotton at home. It is a liability in a cold weather situation the second it gets wet--it dries significantly slower than synthetics, if you can get it to dry at all. 100% synthetics are also sigificantly lighter than cotton when dry, and pack a lot smaller.

Socks should be a polypro liner, and then a wool or synthetic sock. A great combo not only to stay warm and dry, but also prevents blistering. Shoes/boots need to be waterproof. Polypro unders top and bottom. Then layers on top of that, none with cotton. REI makes a great synth tearaway pant. The Marmot Precip line is great too--lightweight, highly packable, synth, and waterproof--breathable as well, which isn't great for retaining heat, but they are good as an external waterproof barrier in all seasons, and fighting the water is half the battle.

Chemical hand warmers are okay for comfort, but I recommend you get a pack stove to carry. MSR Whisperlite Internationale is a good choice because it is super lightweight, tiny, easily maintainable, and burns on almost anything. MSR also makes a tiny little 1 qt. stainless alpine teapot that is about $10, and lightweight. Boil water and put it in a lexan Nalgene-style waterbottle. These can be held close to the body to add heat. Lasts all night in very cold weather. And until you run out of fuel your heated element (water) is reusable in many ways. The pack stove is great as well for boiling water in the purification process. Now you can also carry backpacker's pantry aka "space food"... dried, lightweight, small to pack, and high in nutrients-- also stores well for years.

If you're carrying a bag, stop by an outfitter and pick up a pack cover. Easily packable, lightweight, and you can use it to keep the innards dry. Waterproof compression bags are a great lightweight way to store your stuff too, lots of good choices there.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM

Part of staying warm is staying dry. I have a rain jacket and rain pants that are very light duty. The plus to that, both the jacket and pants fit in sandwich size ziplock bags.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:04 PM

two more things I remembered

whistle
signalling mirror
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 PM

Well I did not read everything but a ew important things I have in my bag and check once a month are

emergency water small light weight bags of costguard water (medical nessesity for me)

Medicine I would be dead in about 2-4 days with out it.

Emergeny blankets

hand crank radio with weather band and light

2400 calorie food bars one days food in 1 bar and not bad. the once I have are from Datrex
http://propertyguard.com/ has good small kits

Jacket (it snows here)

female pads and an ace bandage sterile dressings for wounds and can really help females too.

insurance pappers and medical records (medical records are for if I cant talk when or if help does show up)

This is the short list but my GO back is a duffel bag as it supports 4 people for 4 days

Scott

PS now I will read everone elses post
Old 12-18-2005, 05:36 PM

If anyone is interested K-Mart has a small portible Battery operated AM/FM/TV and Weather Band radio advertised in todays paper for $11.00

I do not know the quality of this but for $11 it might work out great in an EGO bag.

Also

Kohl's has an LED "Wind-up Crank" flashlight in todays paper for $11.82

From the picture this looks like the same one I see in the sporting goods stores for $29.00

Have a great night

Frank
Old 12-21-2005, 05:51 PM

?EGO? Bag

Contents to Consider

I have tried to take all the input given on this thread and categorize it without performing any audits or edits on the information. Perhaps this list will help each of us review or create our own Emergency GO Bag.

EGO bag Requirements

All contents to fit inside a single backpack and be able to sustain two (2) adults for two (2) days in the event of an unforeseen evacuation or emergency

Safety
Fire Arm
Ammo
Basic First Aid Kit
Prescription medication
Neosporin,
Aspirins, Tylenol, Advil, ect.
Pre threaded needle
Pepsid
Rolaids
Alka Seltzer
Emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB
2 tubes of Chap Stick

Light and Fire
Two (2) small LED Flashlights
Extra batteries.
Two to four candles
Waterproof matches
Bic Lighters.
Candles
Head-light Flashlight
Candle lantern available from any outdoor store.
Shake light flashlight
High intensity flashlight (
Magnesium fire starter.

Heat
Chemical Hand Heaters (4-8).
MSR Dragonfly stove(this thing will burn Veggie Oil)
MSR Whisperlite Internationale
Sterno

Shelter
Mylar Space Blankets ? Two (2)
Tent
Rain Coat
Plastic Sheeting 9?x12?
Emergency Sleeping Bag - Mylar

Food
MREs,
Power bars,
Dried / Prepared Meats
Water
Fruit Juice in Bags
Mixed Nuts,
Granola type bars,
Canned Fruit
Water
Pet Food
Gaiter Aid / Sports drink
SPAM in CAN
Dried Nuts

Tools
Small fishing kit (Line and Hook)
Multi function knife (Letaherman Type)
Water Purifier
Small hatchet.
Knife
Multi Function screwdriver
Locksmith picks
Cutters
Saw (may be a wire saw)
-pUr Hiker water purifier

Money
Money Cash, $300 Min.
Credit Card
ATM card
Roll of quarters

Communications
Cell phone, car charger, and batteries.
Documented Emergency Plan
Communicate Emergency Plan
?GO PLAN
Identification documents:
Copy Passport main page,
Copy Driver license.
Copy Bank and credit account numbers
Phone numbers of the corresponding institutions.
Radios short-wave radios when the local stations are down.
Transistor radio No Digital Display
Grundig has a great SW/WB/AM FM crank powered emergency radio with LED Flashlight, signal light emergency recharging of cell phones
Weather / All Alert radio.
Pad and Pencil
All Condition Portable Radios.
Sony SRF-M37V TV/Weather/AM/FM Radio Walkman.
ICON 2-Meter radio (HAM Radio)
Repeater Directory
XM Radio

Transportation/Navigation (i.e. maps, ect.)
Maps, Road and Topo
Compass

Quality of Life
Imodium-AD
Trial size toiletries,
Leash for your pet
Toothbrush,
Toothpaste,
Flose
Razor.
Liquid disinfecting soap
Baby wipes
Sunscreen,
Bug dope,
Tummy aids,
Sanitary napkins
Spare Eye Glasses or Contacts

Clothing
Clothes (one outfit min.),
Rain gear
Two sets of good socks each person
Polypropylene long johns are light, and work well.
Vacuum packed bag from your food saver
Rain Coat
Fisherman?s Vest 37 ? pockets.
Tactical Vest
A knit stocking cap will keep your head warm,
Fleece gloves can
Leather gloves
Knit gloves with the rubber grippy palms,
Synthetic clothing is a good one, leave all the cotton at home.
Socks should be a polypro liner, and then a wool or synthetic sock.
Shoes/boots need to be waterproof.

Supplies
Paper towels
Bailing Wire
Parachute Cord
Duct tape
Rope,
Superglue,
Zip Lock Baggies
Two Plastic Garbage Bags
25 feet of parachute cord.
25-feet or bailing wire.
Alkaline batteries
Food saver pouches.
Pack cover waterproof

I am going to finish updating my EGO bag over the next week. I plan to list and post here exactly what I will be packing away. Perhaps it will be helpful to others, as your ideas have been helpful to me.

Have a great evening folks.

Frank
Old 12-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Frank, another thing I thought of that i have started to carry on trips out. I carry a tube of oral analgesic, any common brand to numb pain from a tooth/gum ache. There is not many pains that are similar to toothache. Can decimate even the toughest folks.
A numbing analgesic may get you through til you can see a dentist or whatever. Personally, this has saved me from returning home on a 3 day trip. just a thought.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:10 PM

May try these soon.
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_inf...6528eae325f59a
Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

there is a lot of great stuff in that bag of tricks. are you going to carry it in a little red wagon?
how much do you expect that thing will weigh?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-22-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341
there is a lot of great stuff in that bag of tricks. are you going to carry it in a little red wagon?
how much do you expect that thing will weigh?
Hi Erik,

Yes you're right there is a lot of good stuff on the list. I however do not intend to carry it all. I tryed to include everything folks suggested so that with one big list people could choose what they want to put in their own EGO bag.

Right now my dinning room table is half covered with all the items (all but three) I will put in my EGO bag. I hope to put a complelte list up with my EGO Inventory in a day or two,along with some pictures and the final "poundage".

I do know I can get all my stuff in one Pack pack.

Stay tuned!

Have a great night and a Merry Christmas / Holiday Season

Frank
Old 12-22-2005, 07:30 PM

EGO Bag Inventory for Daless2

All Items to fit inside one Back Pack.

I will have one Tactical Vest and one Fishing Vest. These will not be packed, but kept on top of EGO Bag ready to go with EGO Bag for use in emergency.

I also will carry a 9mm and four loaded clips. I am highly unlikely to need this, but I do not fear carrying a weapon in case I do.

TOOLS ? 1

Multi-function Tool, Leatherman
Knife, 4-inch folding
Screwdriver, Multi-point
Work Gloves, Rubberized

SUPPLIES ? 2

Cord, Parachute (50 Feet)
Duct Tape (10 Yards)
Plastic Drop Cloth (9?x12?x 2mils)
Garbage Bags (2 @ 30 Gals.)
Travel Sacs, Plastic (15 @ 4 Gals.)
Cable Ties (2 Large, 2 Medium, 4 small)

LIGHT ? 3
Candles (3 @ 8 hours)
Candle Lantern for Above Candles
MagLite Flashlight (2-D Cells)
Mini-MagLite (2-AA Cells)
Mini LED Flashlight (1 ? AA Cell)
Key chain LED (1-Red)
Key chain LED (1-Blue)

FIRE and HEAT ?4

BIC Mini Lighters (2)
*Magnesium Fire Starter (1 bar)
Matches, Waterproof (25)
Magic Heat Fuel (1 can @ 7 Hours)
Heat Pads, Chemical Large (4 @ 24 Hours)
Heat Pads, Chemical Medium (4 @ 18 Hours)

SHELTER ? 5

Blankets, Mylar Space (2)
*Sleeping Bags, Emergency Mylar (2)
Rain Ponchos, Plastic (2)
*Tent, Emergency Plastic (1 sleeps two)

COMMUNICATIONS ? 6

Cell Phone (Not in Bag)
Radio, Mini Auto Scan AM/FM w/LED light (2-AAA Cells)
Radio, Sony AM/FM/TV/Weather (1 AAA Cell)
Whistle, Signal
Pad, Spiral Bound (4?x5?)
Pencil, Mechanical
Sharpie Large (1 Black)
Sharpie, mini?s (2, Red, Green)
Pen (1 Black)
Personal Phone Book
Pre-Paid Calling Card (200 Minutes)
Post-It Pad, 3M (1 ? small)
?EGO Plan?

BATTERIES ? 7 (extras)

Two DD (2)
Four AA (4)
Four AAA (4)
Cell-Boost Emergency Batteries (2 Cells)
Spare Cell Phone Battery
Cell Phone Car Charger

FOOD and WATER ? 8

Water (4 @ 500mL)
Sport Drink (5 @ 200mL Bags)
Gatorade Powder, Dry (1 bag)
Beef Sticks (small, dried 4.5 oz)
Beef Sticks (Large, dried 7.2 oz)
Salami, Italian (Dried, 12 oz)
Trail Mix (1 bag, 10 oz)
Sun Flower Seeds, Shelled (16 oz)
Power Bars (2 @ 2.3 oz)
Peanut Butter (tube, 7 oz)
Mixed Fruit, Canned (4 @ 4oz)
Sweet Tarts (one roll)

FIRST AID KIT (basic) PLUS Extra?s ? 9

First Aid Kit (Basic)
Plus these extras
Alka - Seltzer (4)
Pepcid Complete (4)
Alavert (hey fever ? 3)
Aleve (8)
Tylenol (10)
*Advil (10)
Motrin (8)
Aspirin (8)
Aspirin, Children?s (8)
Neosporin First Aid Cream (1 tube)
Nitrile Disposable Gloves (4 pair)
Needle and Thread (Pre-threaded)

PERSONAL HYGIENE ? 10

Tooth Brushes (2)
Tooth Paste (1 tube)
Razor, disposable (2)
Soap Bar, Antibacterial (1)
Instant Hand Sanitizer (1 Tube)
Mouth Wash, Scope (1 small)
Baby Powder (1 Small)
Dental Floss (1 container)
Kleenex Pocket Pack (2)
Disinfectant Wipes (1 pack)
Moist Wipes (1 pack)
Lens Cloths ? Glasses (6)
Spare Glasses (1 pair)
Spare Contacts (1 set)
Contact Cleaner
Toilet Paper
Chap Stick (2)
Two Wash Cloths
Prescription Medication

NAVIGATION / MAPS ? 11
Compass
Driving / Highway Maps
Topo Maps
?EGO Plan?

DOCUMENTS (copies) ? 12

Drivers License
Passport
Electric Bill
Phone Bill
Insurance Policy

MONEY (Minimum) ? 13

$50 Singles
$150 in Fives
$100 in Tens
ATM Card
Credit Card

CLOTHING per person

One Complete Change of Clothing (non Cotton)
Two changes of Underwear

Notes:

Items with an ?*? in front of them will go in the EGO bag, but I do not yet have these.

Items are grouped logically for me and will be kept in the bag grouped inside ziploc baggies, to keep organized and to keep dry.

I also have a dog who will be going with me. I will pull together a list of what I will pack in a small separate bag for him tomorrow. Probably Food, Water, Leash, Chew Toy, bowl, and Vaccine Papers.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:27 PM

go bags

Well this may start a whole new discussion, but I'd like to ask what is the purpose of a "To Go" bag/kit? What situation do you envision would make you need a "To Go" bag?
Please, I'm not trying to create a problem. I've openly voiced my concern on this subject. I'd like to just as openly be educated as to the concern/risk. I am truly trying to understand people's concerns.
Regards,
Doug
Old 12-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Reggae

Sometimes you have an advanced evacuation warning, in that case you usually have plenty of time to load your most worthy possessions in the smelly rust bucket with four wheels and drive away. Other times you have to evacuate immediately. The EGO Bag is great for the second type of situations.

And the EGO Bag is stuffed with tools and supplies that you may need once you evacuate. At least it is good for supporting you while you are calling around for that vacant room in Marriott or trying to secure transportation to your second cousin's house out of state.