Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-27-2005, 09:49 AM

Question Looking for some Warn 8274 info

I came across this winch I believe to be an Warn 8274. The winch belongs to a coworkers neighbor who wants to sell it along with the bumper it?s mounted on and the controls. It was mounted on a full size mid 70?s Chevy truck. The owner claims it still works. To me, it looks like it needs some TLC. The owner is asking $200 all together for the bumper, winch & controls. My coworker did me a favor & took a few pics of it for me. I haven?t seen it yet but it is local to me.

I was thinking at some point to maybe swap it on my Jeep & remove my XD9000i.

I did read a couple threads over on Pirate about the codes stamped on it ? but I?m still at a loss as to what the numbers/letters exactly mean for this one. If somebody knows ? I?d appreciate the breakdown on this one. Thanks!

Does it look like it's missing something(s)?
Thoughts?

Old 12-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
That thing is way old. Its the old band style of brake, not the lever lock style. I'd stay with your current setup over this winch
Old 12-27-2005, 11:49 AM

Yeah - after hearing more about what it seems to be, I'm apt to keep my "old" XD9000i.

I found this thread/link on POR & it seems it's not too desireable, especially if it needs parts or much work.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90552
Old 12-27-2005, 08:09 PM

Pretty sure that is a Bellavue model. Early to the 8274 models.
Tough winch, but getting hard to find parts. Without having a power out mode, it can be a pain trying to get rope out of the drum if it is bound up. For the weight difference, and radiator blocking-I would keep what you have. And those band brakes are not very effective.
BTW, that may be a foot forward mount as well; yours is a foot down mount. Check that first. Almost every newer winch plate mount is designed to be foot down. It is all in where the strain on the mount goes.