Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-24-2001, 08:43 PM
Reggae

My Favorite Wheel and Tire

My favorite wheel is Mickey Thompson Alcoa Challenger hot forged aluminum. These wheels are strong, light, round and straight. After switching from el cheapo steel wheels I do not regret the decision a bit, these new wheels even unbalanced carry 35” meats better than those steels right out of the tire shop. I took those wheels to the Hammers and they stood to the abuse bravely.

The tires I am running are Goodyear MT/R. Those tires are very sticky and yet quiet. For the rocks, on my SWB jeep I run them aired down to 8 PSI, and they perform wonderful. For mud, I run them at street pressure (24 PSI on my jeep), even though tires work good in the mud I do not like mud at all (because of all the cleaning you have to do to the jeep thereafter).

If I was building a new jeep again, this is the exact same wheel/tire combo I would choose.

For a 4” suspension lift on a TJ with 1” body lift and front hub conversion (that spaces out the front wheels another 3/4 of an inch) 4.5” backspacing is perfect on a 15” rim for 35” MT/Rs.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 05-26-2001, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Those would be my favorite also with one minor exception- I need a few more bolts in mine. Just about 24 more per wheel.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you