Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 10-13-2006, 08:11 AM

Who's using a non-TJ steering box

...on your TJ? I am sure several are, but I am looking for a bolt on soluation. I have a leak in my factory 99 box and called up www.westtexasoffroad.com about a rebuild. He reccommended that I just scrap the TJ box and get an 81 or later box from an S10, J20 or CJ.

Before I call up a parts store and order something, does anybody have any further reccommndations/experience? Thanks!!

-Bart
Old 10-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Many of us here are using the Tommy Lee 808 box and Brian has the PSC box, all of them were bolt-on. Howe also makes one. None of them are cheap.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Re: Who's using a non-TJ steering box

Quote:
Originally posted by bart
...on your TJ? I am sure several are, but I am looking for a bolt on soluation. I have a leak in my factory 99 box and called up www.westtexasoffroad.com about a rebuild. He reccommended that I just scrap the TJ box and get an 81 or later box from an S10, J20 or CJ.

Before I call up a parts store and order something, does anybody have any further reccommndations/experience? Thanks!!

-Bart
The issue you may run into is that externally many of them are identical looking and the rebuilder may not have used the larger parts for the application. I've read a few things about confusion on cores and such.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:07 AM

Re: Re: Who's using a non-TJ steering box

Just going by what WTO said, it seems that most of the aftermarket boxes (I asked about PSC) are just stock TJ with a shiny endcap.

Blaine, that sounds exactly like what I was worried about. I called AutoZone and they could get me an '81 J10 box for $169 + $80 core. I asked if I could swap my TJ box as a core and they said yes. WTO said the body/endcap of the J10 box should be ~1/2" bigger, so it would be easy to check. I can just see myself getting it and some mounting holes or fittings not be right.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:15 AM

PSC can upgrade your box using it as a core.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 PM

Apparently a Durango box is another option. Sounds like it is beefier, but loses some turn radius. Also hearing more about the "true" J20 box being very hard to get. I'm still driving around with a leaky one, what little it is being driven.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Apparently a Durango box is another option. Sounds like it is beefier, but loses some turn radius. Also hearing more about the "true" J20 box being very hard to get. I'm still driving around with a leaky one, what little it is being driven.
Throw a WJ pitman arm on there and you'll get your radius back.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:59 PM

Speaking of steering boxes, has anyone had any luck turning an old steering box in as a core for $$$ without having bought a new one? My old steering box is sitting on a shelf dripping hydraulic fluid and I'd hate to just toss it if it's worth anything.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Throw a WJ pitman arm on there and you'll get your radius back.
Hmm, what's limiting it? I figured it was something internal to the box. Do you have a WJ pitman?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Hmm, what's limiting it? I figured it was something internal to the box. Do you have a WJ pitman?
I don't have one at the moment, but they are longer.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 AM

Re: Who's using a non-TJ steering box

Quote:

-Bart
Hey Bart,

that's where I had mine (stock) rebuilt and they showed me what they upgrade (complete rollerbearings instead of partial on the sector shaft) and it's been holding up so far
Old 01-10-2007, 12:57 PM

FWIW, I bought an AGR box from the RockRam system from a local guy goiung full hydro. However, it was a 36 spline and the TJ is 30 spline. I ended up ordering a box from PSC. It has the larger piston, different ratio, and is ported for hydro assist. Works great.