Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-04-2001, 06:09 PM

2002 Rubicon Trip

We are making plans to run the Rubicon Trail in 2002 with the Jeep Jamboree.

Who would like to go along? We decided on the Jeep Jamboree because they bring all of the food and its nice to have a hot meal after a long day of wheeling.

Kat
Old 09-04-2001, 06:35 PM
Reggae

I think I’d love to go, when is it?

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 09-04-2001, 06:53 PM
Administrator

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Which is more important, the degree or education?
Old 09-04-2001, 07:01 PM
Reggae

I have a dentist appointment for 2002. But I’ll see what I can do.

Old 09-04-2001, 07:52 PM

How about we skip the Jamboree and I cook?

That way we can enjoy our friends with out the crowds and moove at our own pace. If I had a head count and day count I could come up with a menu. I usually top out with about 16 people with my outdoor cooking. I think 1 cooler in each Jeep as comunity food and we could do it.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 09-04-2001, 08:28 PM
Reggae

Hmmm. I like the “move at our own pace” idea.

Old 09-04-2001, 08:41 PM
ghall

“move at our own pace” (with food) Yeah I like that!
Garry
Old 09-04-2001, 08:56 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeepKat:
We are making plans to run the Rubicon Trail in 2002 with the Jeep Jamboree.

Who would like to go along? We decided on the Jeep Jamboree because they bring all of the food and its nice to have a hot meal after a long day of wheeling.

Kat[/quote]

What, you don't consider hot dogs on skewers roasted over the campfire or the old standby Dinty Moore stew to be a hot meal? I read some trip reports and see how they enjoyed lobster and t-bone steaks and wonder how they packed it along with all their gear. As for the JJ, I've never been on one but I do know their grub is good on the Rubicon. On our first trip Chrysler was running their JJ's for their So. American salespeople. My younger brother and brother-in-law were welcomed in (or snuck in?) for the biggest steak dinner with all the trimmings. Our Dinty Moore wasn't looking so good then!

BTW, 10 mos. is a long tease to wait for the Rubicon. The season's not over yet. I drove it as late as early October. Other than freezing at night, it was fun!

Jeff
Old 09-05-2001, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Not to step on anyone's toes or anything remotely offensive.

We are going on the 2002 Jamboree, period.

We have several who have indicated strong interest in joining us. This will be the official thread for those that wish to do so.

It is a Jamboree with all of it's associated quirks and benefits. If you don't like crowds, don't go. If you don't like live entertainment, full bar, soda fountain, good food, interesting people, tons of jeeps, mobile repair shops, and a good time, don't sign up. If you like all of the conveniences of a motel, hand delivered for you, then please sign up here so Kat can keep track.

The 02 schedule hasn't posted yet, so I don't know if it is in July or August.

If your own pace is really an issue, Saturday is a full day of doing whatever you want. Get up at 6 am, go hit the trail, get back to camp at midnight. Should be enough wheeling for anyone. That means jump in your jeep and go back up the trail to whatever you think you can find to amuse yourself. That is what I plan on doing.

In 00, we did the Jamboree and had a really great time. I am a little hesitant to entertain snivelling from those who have never attended one. For us, we wound up in a group of 6, that just cruised along and had a great time. The only part that was a pain was waiting on the stockers and the grands to get down the big sluice. That would have been much smoother if the rock stackers had of known what they were doing.

Those that know me understand that I am not a fan of big runs and large crowds. There are other reasons for doing this. They are the same reasons that I do stuff like Rocktoberfest. I enjoy being with, and wheeling with my friends.

The jambo allows you to concentrate on that part of it and takes the logistics out of the equation.

Old 09-05-2001, 05:49 AM

I would be interested in going but I wanted to point out that maybe we can plan something like this as a comunity.

I understand the reasons you pointed out what I got from the begening of the thread was "hot meals wanted on trail" I enjoy cooking so I thought I would volunteer.

I have never been to a Jamboree so I think this would be a good one to check out.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 09-05-2001, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Jeff, sorry about the tease. Our schedule is full until mid October. This is just with planned events. After October, our wheeling season begins in earnest. I am going to JV at least once a month, hopefully more.

The long lead time is to let those who don't have camping gear accumulate it at a reasonable pace. Some of us want to do a few more mods. Some of us owe a trouble free trip to others. This way we have enough time to get it all figured out.

There is also the money issue. Jamborees are not the cheapest upfront, so time is important to get the money together.

Old 09-05-2001, 06:49 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Hill:
I would be interested in going but I wanted to point out that maybe we can plan something like this as a comunity.

[/quote]

We are, that's why the sign up is here on this board and nowhere else.

Logistically, you would have to go in ahead of us by about 3 hours to get set up and have everything ready when we get there. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Old 09-05-2001, 07:34 AM
Reggae

I have never been to a Jeep Jamboree. I think it is worth to check out. Count me in (unless something unexpected happens, you know, like aliens attack, or I have to go to a proctologist).

Old 09-05-2001, 07:40 AM

I'm in.

I have a 3 person (read two comfortably) tent and spare sleeping bag if anyone is not wanting to purchase camping equipement for one trip. I will also likely have a seat open too for anyone that wants to ride along (no charge for gas).

The appeal is to have time to relax, and taking cooking out of the equation is cool.

It's a little expensive, but deciding this far in advance gives me time to save up.

My newest MOD:

Rubicon bound penny saving jar.

R/
William Karstens
Old 09-05-2001, 09:51 AM

I'm in. My experience on the Rubicon is that if I can get out of having to coordinate buying, carrying and cooking food - I am all for it. The trail is not over the top difficult (if you don't go hunting for obstacles and stay on the main trail) but it is one thing after another which frankly, after a long day of wheeling the last thing you want to do is fool around with getting your camp organized. That means more quality time on the trail and also, with the repair facilities available, less mental stress. Read our write up and those of many others - for some reason its pretty easy to get broke good on that trail If I can get out of having to deal with my camp - that means I have a decent shot at taking a good day wheeling up the Old Sluice the next time I am up there.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 09-05-2001, 10:05 AM

Not for me... Sorry guys, but I can't do it. I think that pace would drive me insane.

Besides... I get to go run rubicon in 2 weeks. :-P

Humpty Dumpty Land: Formerly Tightey Whitey World
Old 09-05-2001, 10:44 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Some of us want to do a few more mods. [/quote]
Hopefully, I'll be up in running my "Want to be" posistion by then!

R/
William Karstens
Old 09-05-2001, 04:00 PM

Do they uphold a width of vehicle dimension rule? Anybody know what the max is? Do they measure outside of tread/sidewall or where? I am going to be close or over max, me thinks.
Old 09-05-2001, 04:03 PM

Little 2000 TJ ... itching to grow
Old 09-05-2001, 04:17 PM

AmyTJ,

Why the sad face? It's a year away, who knows maybe you'll plan a vacation out this way and join our group on the Rubicon.

Kat
Old 09-05-2001, 04:44 PM

hmmmmm, let me think on that ... could visit pappy in Arizona and slide on over

Little 2000 TJ ... itching to grow
Old 09-05-2001, 06:34 PM

I'm undecided on this not having been on a Jamboree before. Operating without any specific knowledge I'm concerned that the pace would be very slow and choosing "innovative lines" on obstacles would be discouraged. What's the scoop from some of you that have been on these before? I'm all for lobster and a full bar in the middle of the sierras, but I'd gladly get by with Pop Tarts and Beer if it meant more fun on the trail.

Also, what's up with the width limitation that Tumbleweed mentioned? I might be pushing the limit by the time my poor TJ is rolling again (if it ever is!).
Old 09-05-2001, 06:51 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seth:
Not for me... Sorry guys, but I can't do it. I think that pace would drive me insane.

Besides... I get to go run rubicon in 2 weeks. :-P

<A HREF="http://seth.rockcrawler.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE" TARGET=_blank>http://seth.rockcrawler.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE</A>>

Seth,

What days are you gonna' be on trail? I was just looking at my calendar for another run in 2 or 3 weeks. Are you going with Paul? If so tell him I said hi.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 11:37 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert J. Yates:
I'm in. My experience on the Rubicon is that if I can get out of having to coordinate buying, carrying and cooking food - I am all for it. .....after a long day of wheeling the last thing you want to do is fool around with getting your camp organized. [/quote]

Robert,

For people who can not control their alchohol consumption, there is AA. For people who can't control their spending, there is credit counseling. For people who beat their spouse, there is jail time.

For people who can not "coordinate buying, carrying and cooking food", there is the Rubicon JJ. LOL!

For everything else, there is MasterCard!

And you guys kept making remarks about the way I camped. I learned long ago that all that extra work was no fun. Two cups of boiling water + 10 minutes = dinner or breakfast (and some pretty good meals at that!)

I probably won't jump into this run, but I wish all who do go the very best! I'll catch some of you on the trail somewhere!

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 09-06-2001, 01:40 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art Welch:
I'm undecided on this not having been on a Jamboree before. Operating without any specific knowledge I'm concerned that the pace would be very slow and choosing "innovative lines" on obstacles would be discouraged. What's the scoop from some of you that have been on these before? I'm all for lobster and a full bar in the middle of the sierras, but I'd gladly get by with Pop Tarts and Beer if it meant more fun on the trail.

Also, what's up with the width limitation that Tumbleweed mentioned? I might be pushing the limit by the time my poor TJ is rolling again (if it ever is!).[/quote]

Art- as far as I know, the only restrictions on the JJ are 35" tires(not checked), 5" of lift total(not checked), skidplates(not checked), and that's about it. Well, the obvious, of course, it has to be a jeep.

As far as the lines you choose, I was only calmed down once and that was because the stacker didn't want me to move the rocks he had in place for the stockers. Everything else was fair game. I had a great time and did some stuff that I didn't see anyone else doing.

The only time it slowed down for us was at the Big Sluice, that was mostly because everyone wanted their picture taken and the cheering section was pretty large.

Old 09-06-2001, 04:01 PM

Do they give an option for the Little Sluice and Old (True) Sluice? It seems like that would really slow things down quite a bit. Oh yeah, they say the trail is closed to outsiders during that time but is it really true? No, I don't plan on crashing any Jamborees I was just curious. As for food, Hostess Donettes & Mountain Dew for breakfast, sandwich and chips for lunch and hot dog and beer for dinner. Can we say nutritious?

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 04:18 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Weston:... beer for dinner. Can we say nutritious?

Jeff[/quote]

Depends upon the beer.

No Soybeans?

R/
William
Old 09-06-2001, 05:26 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Weston:
Do they give an option for the Little Sluice and Old (True) Sluice? It seems like that would really slow things down quite a bit. Oh yeah, they say the trail is closed to outsiders during that time but is it really true? No, I don't plan on crashing any Jamborees I was just curious. As for food, Hostess Donettes & Mountain Dew for breakfast, sandwich and chips for lunch and hot dog and beer for dinner. Can we say nutritious?

Jeff[/quote]

You go in from Loon on Friday, make your way to camp at Rubicon Springs campground. That pretty much does it for Friday. Saturday is do whatever you want day. Sunday, get up to a nice hot breakfast, then head up Cadillac or wherever else you might want to go. We chose Cadillac.

Old 09-07-2001, 08:57 AM

Stu,
I wouldn't eat what you ate on the trip for anything - I like my tri-tip over hot coals just fine Besides, us non-vertically challenged people can't fit in a SWB Jeep to sleep either. Now, if I can toss somebody a few bucks so I can get out of having to cook - that would be a deal.

I figure that by having that stuff taken care of - I can make reasonably sure next time that I actually have 4 wheel drive on the trail and will be able to find the time to play rather than simply survive

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 09-07-2001, 01:20 PM

Jeep Kat,

1. I was on the DC Jeep Jamboree this July. There were 50 Jeeps in our group. Cost was $275 per person for three days. The facilities and services you describe sound like this group. This group had mechanics, parts and a helo to fly the parts and mechanics anywhere on the trial in 15 minutes or less. They also had EMTs that could be heloed if necessary. By the way, the parts and repair services and included in the $275.

2. Following us on the trail was a group out of central California called the "Jeepers Jamboree" with about 80 Jeeps. They did provide food on the trail, but didn't have a campground as such. I don't know how much this group charged per head.

3. Which group are you talking about?

DF