Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Reggae

The weekend at Johnson Valley…

…was a really pleasant adventure. Given that there were only three jeeps we had been able to move relatively fast, and run the Jackhammer and Sledgehammer on Saturday and the Outer Limits on Sunday. Blaine and Garry run the Sledgehammer twice, since they had to finish the trail go back to the camp, pick up the spare axle and run the trail up once more to where I had my jeep disabled with a broken U-joint and a blown hub.

Jackhammer is an extreme trail. There are three logical parts to the Jack:
Technical: up the waterfalls.
Scary: Climbing the top of the mountain.
Brutal: going downhill amongst piles of giant rocks of all sizes.

Sledgehammer is supposed to be one of the easiest trails at JV, however I just keep braking parts on it. The ring gear that one time. And yesterday I launched the pieces of a front hub flying as high as 25 feet up in the air.
That’s amazing how jeep parts work through the toughest stuff, and then they give up on relatively easy ground.

The Outer Limits turned out to be the trail where I was getting stuck the most, and had to have the highway built for my jeep multiple times, even though I took bypasses twice.

Thank you to William for the slipping bags – they kept us warm. Thank you to Mr. Blaine and Kat for letting us to try out their tent, spare parts, rock stacking, coffee, all the camp toys and help with fixing my jeep. Thank you to our program director, Garry, for leading and spotting, running for the parts, help with packing the camp up. We had wonderful time, thank you guys.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 03-17-2002, 09:50 PM

It's great to hear you had these folks along for the trip! Sounds like a memorable trip to say the least.

Did William prepare any soybean meals?
Old 03-17-2002, 10:22 PM
ghall

It was just a fun weekend.
Garry
Old 03-18-2002, 03:06 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghall:
It was just a fun weekend.
Garry[/quote]

Awesome... can't wait, time is close... I wonder if I should bring my dust raincoat

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 03-18-2002, 06:47 AM
Administrator

My perspective is a bit different.

Sergey had diagonal tires on rocks and the other two in the air. Right rear was about six feet off of the ground and he was a little tense in places. We kept telling him to turn left and come down. He just didn't believe us. I had just come through the same spot and I perfectly understood. It just doesn't look like it can be done from behind the wheel.

As he turned left and came down, the jeep tipped forward a bit, so he throttled out of it. The left front tire eventually stopped forward progress by slamming into a little outcropping of rock from the left side canyon wall. That's probably where the u-joint that broke later, on Sledgehammer, was initially stressed.

When the joint snapped, it exploded the locking hub. Everything worked as it should. The object here is to save expensive parts and the axles are in perfect shape.

Now for the fun part. Garry and I round tripped the spare parts from my trailer back to Sergey's rig in under 45 minutes. Total time of the breakdown was 1 hour and 10 minutes from breakage to rolling again. This was one of the more fun things I have ever done in JV. It is also something Garry and I have always wanted to do.

We had one back-up on the whole trip. I never left the passenger seat, but there was this one time just past the plaque where the rocks on my side were a little closer to me than I wanted them to be, that I really considered it.

Big giant hugs and kisses to my wife for getting us a set of soft half doors. They were a lifesaver out in the wind this past weekend and as of now I wouldn't trade them for anything. I have to figure out how to lock them to the jeep, because Garry kept trying to steal them.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:58 AM

It sounds like a good time was had by all!
I'm interested in your breakage. You say you broke a u-joint and a hub at the same time?
Would you mind telling me:
What kind of obstacle were you on at the time?
Were you hammering it on the Hammers? I know at times you have to.
Could you put in a new hub and still be driveable?
Are your Warn axles ok or do they have to be replaced?
Do you think a guy should get some Warn stub axles for spares? I know stock inners will work.
I want to be prepared if I get in a situation as ugly as the Hammers.
Thanks,
Ro

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 03-18-2002, 08:04 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
It sounds like a good time was had by all!
I'm interested in your breakage. You say you broke a u-joint and a hub at the same time?
Would you mind telling me:
What kind of obstacle were you on at the time?
Were you hammering it on the Hammers? I know at times you have to.
Could you put in a new hub and still be driveable?
Are your Warn axles ok or do they have to be replaced?
Do you think a guy should get some Warn stub axles for spares? I know stock inners will work.
I want to be prepared if I get in a situation as ugly as the Hammers.
Thanks,
Ro

_I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!_[/quote]

Ron, it was a nothing obstacle. Sergey was just coming up a little section right before you get to the mail box.

It looks like the joint blew one pin off, and the shock exploded the locking hub. No other damage to anything. Had we wanted to, we could have swapped the u-joint out right there and went on. As it were, all the spares got left behind on the trailer.

For that level of trail running, I would get a full set of spares, assemble them with u-joints and have them handy.

You know I am a big fan of the small hub conversion. But, I always carried a set of spares, assembled and ready to go.

I now have the big conversion and am working on the same thing.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Reggae

Ron, if you want to be prepared (assuming you already have a hub conversion up front), get a set of Warn alloy inner and outer axles, and CTM U-joints. Also have a spare set of axleshaft assemblies ready, and a spare hub. That’s what I am going to do, anyways, and it looks like a way to go with Dana 30 and 35-inch tires.

I wasn’t at an obstacle when the parts went flying. Well, not an obstacle by Hammer standards – just a pile of rocks. The breakage happened because of the stress accumulated before and possibly broken parts out of the sight, earlier – just like Blaine said.

If you know that it times you have to hammer on the Hammers, then why do you ask? If I weren’t, I would be still sitting there looking for a “different line”.
I put dents on the fender, hood, corner and other various places on the tub, run the fenders into the rocks three times, squashed the exhaust pipe, mangled the muffler, made the bumpers shiny, broke the turn signal bulb, and chipped away a big piece of the outer lip on one of the rims; maybe more, I just havent had a chance to look the jeep over. Was I hammering? Hell, yes!

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 03-18-2002, 08:31 AM

Humm.....

Pilot, ready for take off.....

Wacko Crazy Jeep Guy

Is my tire in the air?

In case I forgot to mention it, the pictures are up http://www.justaddrocks.com/Johnson_...son_valley.htm
Old 03-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Looks like fun! Judging by Sergey's attire, it must've been cold, huh?

To secure my soft doors, I drilled and tapped a hole on the hinge pins and secure them in place with button head bolts. It will keep the snatch and grabbers from just pulling them off in a parking lot.

Jeff

{edit} the new rocker guards look pretty slick Blaine!
Old 03-18-2002, 09:20 AM

You guys are too much! Far out wheeling!
Thanks for all the explanation. It really helps. I'm glad to hear the axles weren't harmed. Good advise on spares, but expensive. I know, "you wanna play, you gotta pay"!
Anyhow, any where else but the Hammers you could have thrown a spare hub on and got home with the help of a strap, if needed?
When you guys go (and you're gonna) to Highway to Hell, Axle Alley etc. in AZ, I want to be there!
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 03-18-2002, 10:27 AM
ghall

Ron:
Did I hear somthing about Axle Alley and Anaconda?
I had way to much fun there last time. So how soon?
Garry
Old 03-18-2002, 10:39 AM
Banned

Looks like another great trip, I'm bummed I couldn't make it. I had the alarm set for 5:am but had to cancel at the last minute.
I can't believe you guys round tripped Sledge in 45 min. I'd have the narrowest bus around if I tried that.
Paul
Old 03-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Sinclair:
Looks like another great trip, I'm bummed I couldn't make it. I had the alarm set for 5:am but had to cancel at the last minute.
I can't believe you guys round tripped Sledge in 45 min. I'd have the narrowest bus around if I tried that.
Paul[/quote]

Don't forget, that round trip included a run both ways to the wash at the furthermost edge of the lake bed where we normally camp.

Old 03-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Banned for being bad

Big giant hugs and kisses to my wife for getting us a set of soft half doors. They were a lifesaver out in the wind this past weekend and as of now I wouldn't trade them for anything. I have to figure out how to lock them to the jeep, because Garry kept trying to steal them.

You only recommend the soft doors for the trail correct?? Because they are light and easy to store.

Don.

01 Sport, Auto, BACK STREET BOYS RULE, Silverstone ,IDE RULES, D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 ,Harry B Sux, Tera S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, Currie steering damper, Bilstein Shocks, GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-18-2002, 12:37 PM

When you guys are ready to come run Anaconda or Armaggedon or Annihilator, let me know and we'll set it up.

A small group of us would definitely be interested in coming out to run the Hammers, too.
Dion

94 YJ Wrangler, soa, 36 SX, locked, gears, skids, winch, questionable judgment. Sawzall'd and flat painted.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghall:
Ron:
Did I hear something about Axle Alley and Anaconda?
I had way to much fun there last time. So how soon?
Garry[/quote]

Garry, You've been to both. How do the hardest JV and Mineral Mountain (east of Florence) compare? I've not seen the harder JV trails but have walked a few of the AZ trails, Axle Alley being one of them.
Ron

Old 03-18-2002, 12:55 PM

Ron: I haven't wheeled JV yet, but I've done MOST of the extreme Arizona trails.

Axle Alley is fun and kinda hard. It has a high rating because of the two winch-mandatory obstacles. Otherwise, there's not much to it. A small group of built rigs should be able to run it in a couple of hours, barring carnage.

Highway 2 Hell is quite difficult, though I hear it's been stacked badly. I also hear there are a couple new hardcore trails in the FJ area.

In the Table Mesa area, Anaconda is extremely difficult and scary. Annihilator is VERY scary, but short. Armaggedon is long and technical and frustrating as all hell.

In the White Tanks area, Upper Firebird is extremely difficult and technical and doesn't get much use. Also a new trail out there called Asylum is very extreme.
Dion

94 YJ Wrangler, soa, 36 SX, locked, gears, skids, winch, questionable judgment. Sawzall'd and flat painted.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Administrator

I don't recommend the soft doors to anyone. We only got them for the high speed runs to an from the trailhead. We normally run about 40 to 50 mph and the icy wind blowing sideways through the open doors of the jeep is brutal. At least with the soft lowers, your legs and few stay warmer with the heater on full blast.

Before, our jackets and gloves kept the top warm, but the wind through the jeep froze our legs.

Old 03-18-2002, 06:36 PM

Blaine, I have the stock half doors and have been caught on the highway with out them in the cold and suffered severely. The half door makes a huge difference. Where did Kat get them? Is there any provision for some type of window?
I have used the a/c with the top on and no windows. Not even the half door windows. It will cool you off pretty good. I don't know how long you can run it but I know it's good for 10 minutes or so. I've heard you can't freeze these a/cs up but I don't know.
I would like those as I could throw them in the back. Kind of hard to do with the metal ones.
Ro

Old 03-18-2002, 06:51 PM

Hey Ron,

I'm going to order a set for myself for the "Newbie" run. I got them from Quadratec, they are light and easy to assemble and made by Bestop here is the info:

Item# 11141 15 HALF DOOR SET 97-00 TJ BLACK DENIM Color# 53039-15 Price$ 139.95

Kat
Old 03-18-2002, 07:26 PM
ghall

Dion:
I want to start putting a trip together. AZ jamboree was fun however a small group of similarly twisted individuals would be a lot of fun. We need to talk.
Garry
Old 03-18-2002, 07:45 PM

I wanna go! Can I, can I. Please please please. Even though I may not be properly twisted I can drive my Jeep close to the action. As it won't be going over the really bad stuff, we can load it down with peoples stuff and parts or whatever.

Old 03-18-2002, 09:08 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Ron,

If you want windows, you can order the 2-piece door for about twice the price that Kat listed for the 1/2 doors. It's basically the exact same as the 1/2 door with soft window uppers that slide into 3 holes on the door. Those are the ones that I got and am pretty happy with them. For the summer drive to work I keep the uppers on in the morning and then throw them in the back and go with the lowers only for the drive home. If I drive to a trail with them, I can take 'em off and put all 4 pieces in the storage pouch and secure them overhead on top of the bikini top for open door wheeling.

Jeff
Old 03-19-2002, 06:37 AM
Banned

Well, we've got a 9 day trip to AZ/JV coming up in 2 weeks, all you need to play is a well built XJ (no oxymoron jokes please). Garry, you already have a XJ front end, & you need a new body anyway, & you're now looking for some doors...
Paul
Old 03-19-2002, 07:31 AM

Garry: I hear you on the small group thing. Most of the really extreme stuff we try to keep the group size to about 5-6 appropriately built rigs. That ensures plenty of time to get through the trails ... and plenty of time to heckle your fellow Jeeper (grin).

Feel free to contact me directly at amstaff@extremezone.com
Dion

Old 03-19-2002, 08:43 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Sinclair:
Well, we've got a 9 day trip to AZ/JV coming up in 2 weeks, all you need to play is a well built XJ (no oxymoron jokes please). Garry, you already have a XJ front end, & you need a new body anyway, & you're now looking for some doors...
Paul[/quote]

When are you going to be in AZ Paul? I am going to be wheeling in Phoenix with some of the AZ guys over Easter (3/29-4/1). Looks like that Saturday we will be doing the Mineral Mtn trails over by Florence Junction. Give me a holler if you are going to be over that way in the same timeframe.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

Old 03-19-2002, 11:18 AM

Robert: You guys still plan on running the Table Mesa area on Friday the 29th? If so, I'll be taking the day off to run with you.
Dion

Old 03-19-2002, 12:32 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blatant:
Robert: You guys still plan on running the Table Mesa area on Friday the 29th? If so, I'll be taking the day off to run with you.
Dion

94 YJ Wrangler, soa, 36 SX, locked, gears, skids, winch, questionable judgment. Sawzall'd and flat painted.[/quote]

I'm running something that Friday but you'll have to ask Stu what it is Cool Dion, I appreciate you taking the day off to go wheelin.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

[This message was edited by Robert J. Yates on March 19, 2002 at 01:41 PM.]
Old 03-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Dion and Robert....yes, we will be up at Table Mesa. Now that Lower Term was destacked this past Saturday, they say it is much more fun. I'm thinking of giving it a try.

The ONLY cabana boy in this community who has won a raffle!
http://www.stu-offroad.com