Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-06-2004, 08:32 PM

MORE Traction Bar is in (lots of pics)

For us YJ guys who are SOA, it's almost a must to run a traction bar. I've had my RE 1.5" SOA leafs installed for a little over 2 years and it came time to add a traction bar. Axle wrap was becoming more & more of an issue. I looked at a few different designs & considered toying with making my own. After considering my options, I decided to go with the MORE.

Here's a few pics of how the install went today. Many thanks to Blaine for his expert assistance & welding skills. Sergey also lent a hand to help things along.

1/4"x2" tcase skid reinforcement plate goes in. It's bent & molded to the contour of the stock skid. Also, a vertical plate is added to the rear section & shaped to add strength to things. This gave things somewhat of a boxed design for the shackle to mount to.

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2004, 08:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Looks awesome joe! A few questions about axle wrap though.

There are those pinion snubbers ( or whatever they call him) bolt holes behind the spring hanger but in front of the u-bolts. if you could fab a piece of steel that would bolt in using those bolt holes and made the same thing like you have only smaller, would it work? Or does it have to be a certain length? Just wondering.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:25 PM

Interesting idea. I haven't seen that design used/tested yet.

I know what you mean. The frame mounted bumpstops are there for when the leafs get flexed really flat, but too often they end-up like an "S" shape. They help so that they don't allow the leafs to get inverted as easily. At first, they helped so that the reverse eye leafs didn't wrap so much. My leafs are now broken in & it was time to take other measures to counter axle wrap.

Maybe your idea would work, I don't know. But I like that you think "out of the box".
Old 06-07-2004, 01:01 PM

Does MORE recommend mounting to the driver's side?

91yj, SOA
Old 06-07-2004, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bob91yj
Does MORE recommend mounting to the driver's side?
looks like joe's exhaust runs on the pass. side, so he may not have had much choice . would there be any benefit to running one side or the other, or is it just a matter of where the traction bar will fit?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:39 PM

It's been my experience that they work best on the right side.

I won't even pretend that I can explain the suspension geometry that causes this.

91yj, SOA
Old 06-07-2004, 01:43 PM

Engine torque

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 06-07-2004, 01:54 PM

Chris designed this item for Allen (MORE). I spoke with Chris a couple months ago about placement of it. He mentioned as long as it's mounted as close to the housing as possible (either side), the bar will work equally well on either side.

Also, since I run the 8.8, the axle tube is slightly longer on the drivers side (and the exhaust is in the way on the passenger side), which gives me a slightly better choice because you want to mount it as close to the center of the axle as possible.

CJ's tend to install them on the passenger side, while YJ installs are the opposite due to exhaust routing.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce David
Engine torque
I beleive it is a function of engine torque and driveline rotation.

91yj, SOA
Old 06-07-2004, 08:48 PM
AA reject

Re: MORE Traction Bar is in (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard
[B Many thanks to Blaine for his expert assistance & welding skills. Sergey also lent a hand to help things and wore a thong.
[/B]
Looks good Joe..although I am not sure of the whole "sergey in a thong" thing. Bad visual. Maybe it's my new glasses
Old 06-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Reggae

Chris,

I don't floss my ass, nor do I wear cheap rubber sandals. Must be a mistype.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Chris,

I don't floss my ass, nor do I wear cheap rubber sandals. Must be a mistype.

I didn't know you could floss your ass with cheap rubber sandals. And even if you can, I don't want no pics, thank you.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
I didn't know you could floss your ass with cheap rubber sandals. And even if you can, I don't want no pics, thank you.
I bet all kinds of things could be used for ass flossing by a creative person, including rubber sandals; but I wouldn't know it, since I don't do that sort of thing.

Thongs refer to two things nether of which I wear:

a) Pathetic excuse for underwear, also known as "ass-floss". Usually consists of some see through material and a bit of elastic. Thongs usually cost more then the average pair of jeans. Mostly worn by 11-19 year old girls who want everyone to know that they wear thongs because they are halfway up their back. They do this to attract attention of guys much older then them.
b) A type of sandals, usually cheap and made out of rubber, flip-flop shower shoes of sorts. When you read, "No thongs allowed" on a door of a restaurant, that's the kind of thongs they are talking about.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Looks good Joe. You will notice a huge difference in traction, and launching outta stoplights is now reality! It will stiffen the ride a bit though.

Nice job mounting/welding. It's great to have buddies who will jump in and help, 10-4?

Now, when your ready to throw them leafs in the dumpster for ballast, let me know, and I'll fix Ya up with some round springs
Old 06-08-2004, 07:54 AM

You guys & your floss/thong comments... LOL

Yep Chris, I agree! I'll be testing it out in a few weeks & see how well I like it.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisO
Now, when your ready to throw them leafs in the dumpster for ballast, let me know, and I'll fix Ya up with some round springs
Shhhh. Keep those things to yourself Chris. Yet another idea I've been toying with. Hell everytime I'm thinking about a mod to the YJ it seems that you've just finished installing it.