Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Can I buy a clue?

Lift Kit Suggestions

I need some advice on lift systems.. I guess some of you would call it "your preferance". I currently run the SJ 8'' lift with 1''BL and 1'' coil spacer. Whenever i wheel and flex on the ramp, i do not get as much flex as i would like compared to my friends w/ RE. (Keep in mind they are climbing to such heights as 108 on the ramp.) However, i have noticed that the SJ coils are very road friendly with little or no sag at all.(mine have been on now for 2 yrs and no sag). I guess im stuck- my ? is should i switch to RE for more flex or just keep SJ-My mind was set on RE but after reading a previous post on the RE lift my view has shifted. please help!!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:15 PM

What previous posting on the RE kit changed your mind? Got a link to it? I'm installing RE's long arm kit within the next few weeks. If I had the 8" SJ kit, I'd probably be looking at something else too... the RE is a good kit, plenty of hard-core offroaders that are very happy with theirs... which is one reason I'm going with RE's long-arm kit for my next lift.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:35 PM

re uses radius arms, 5 link rear and their springs prefer to leave the perches rather than stretch. I do like the fact that their crossmember design allows for the t-case to be accessed without dropping it.

full traction is a bit closer but they need to finish up a few minor details.

skyjacker does not have any compliance due to the use of heim joints at all mointing points.

i'd either wait on the full traction or work with what you have by changing joints so you get some 'give' out of it. I believe currie now has a johnny joint that will thread into your lower arms.

guess my question back to you is how much flex do you need on a ramp? we only use the ramp to make sure things clear and there is no bind. if your rig is stable and predictable on the trail - ramp performance is the last thing i'd worry about.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:23 PM

This is funny as I have had the same experience with 8" SJ coils. They are relentlessly stiff and refuse to give like many springs. I understand they take quite some time to break in. I've recently switched to the 6" SJ coils and find them to be much more compliant. My Jeep rides better on road and seems to flex better without unseating the coils. Stu was there the other day when my Jeep was flexed with the fork truck. I think we all were pretty impressed. Stu also had a good analogy of what was going on with the 8" coils. I don't have a SJ lift like you, so comparisons are hardly fair here. The SJ coils are a stiffer rate than the RE's which is better for on road driving in my experience. (Less body roll.) Like stated above; flex isn't everything. What kind of wheeling are you doing? Is your Jeep a DD? What are your main complaints on the trail?
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 07-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I had RE springs on my first lift and wasn't impressed. The fronts sagged almost 2" in a few years while the rears didn't budge. As a matter of fact, the rear spring rate was such that they didn't really want to stuff, leaving the front to do all the work. The addition of the Currie AR helped this somewhat.

I was much happier with the ProComp coils I swapped in in place of the RE's. The 6" coils I have with my Full Traction lift seem to built along the same line as the PCs are (lots of wraps and a modest spring rate). At full droop, they are long enough that they don't come unseated.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Can I buy a clue?

thanks guys.. to follow up to some ?'s the Jeeps notta DD and i crawl rocks... not boulder size but yea mainly rocks and a little mud thrown in. Even though its not a DD, i still would like to get that flex i need when wheelin.. thanks 4 the GREAT feedback guys. I think im going to actually look into procomp also!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by H8PVMNT00
thanks guys.. to follow up to some ?'s the Jeeps notta DD and i crawl rocks... not boulder size but yea mainly rocks and a little mud thrown in. Even though its not a DD, i still would like to get that flex i need when wheelin.. thanks 4 the GREAT feedback guys. I think im going to actually look into procomp also!
Only one problem there....You can only go up to 4" ProComp coils. That's all they sell. It would be neat to find out who makes the coils and the rate. Do you really need such a tall lift? The guys here talked me into lowering mine and i'm loving it! I bet you'll see a big improvement right there.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Can I buy a clue?

yeh ya know, to be honest, i dont know why i have a 10'' lift. When i built it, i had the radical idea of "extreme or nothing" and i guess that was kinda the wrong approach to take cas its kicking me in the a** now lol but i do love the feeling of being high eventhough its a little big for the trails. However, lowering it is not outa the ? yet..thanks guys
Old 07-16-2004, 07:06 AM
Can I buy a clue?

Hey dsrtjeeper, what do u think of the lockrite locker. I was looking at gettin gone and was wondering if there were and things u particularly liked/or disliked...thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by H8PVMNT00
Hey dsrtjeeper, what do u think of the lockrite locker. I was looking at gettin gone and was wondering if there were and things u particularly liked/or disliked...thanks
Lockright with 39's, your kidding right????
Old 07-16-2004, 11:30 AM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
Originally posted by igofshn
Lockright with 39's, your kidding right????
Depends on his axles. Have you ever seen a lockright for a Dana 60?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:03 PM

The LockRite works just fine in my application and with almost my entire group. If I redo my axles; i'll most likely switch to selectable lockers for the convenience.