Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-30-2001, 09:55 AM

Suggestions? 3" Suspension Lift for 2000 Jeep Wrangler...

I'm looking into a 3" suspension lift for my Jeep Wrangler TJ. I'm not looking into spending a lot of money but still want a "quality" kit and installation.

Kits seem to range between 500 to 1000 bucks w/o shocks. I haven't been able to find any rough estimates on installation, though.

And HONESTLY, no I don't do much off-roading in it - I just want to make it look a little better. My apologies to the hard core guys and ladies!

Does anyone have any suggestions/information regarding on what kit I should buy, what to expect, or a rough estimate as to how much all of this will cost?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:10 AM

You're a day late and dollar short. A few weeks ago I sent a 3" lift, shocks, track bar relocator and some other stuff to a jerk in Tenn. for postage. Also some springs to a guy in Stockton Calif. for the same.
Don't lurk so long and things might happen!
Ron
Old 11-30-2001, 10:16 AM

Sounds like you've been playing Santa Claus......

Do me a favor and let me know if anything else sprouts up from your bag of goodies.

Yeah, I've actually been trying to do some research of lift kits online but there's not a lot out there. My co-worker pointed me here a while ago - I've just been slow to act!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:26 AM
Reggae

See what you get for lurking? I told you, like two month ago, to post and say “Hello”.

We need to get you out on a run, I am sure you will love it, and change your “I just want to make it look a little better.” attitude.

Still, with just 3” of lift you jeep won’t look anywhere near as good as mine. But more than 3” and tires larger than 33” is mucho money.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 11-30-2001, 10:42 AM

:) Dude, that alias is SWEET.......

"Hello".

Okay, now if anyone has any spare suspension lifts send them my way

Seriously, I'll go out on a run if you don't make it too dificult. Gotta go easy on me until I get some new toys installed.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:47 AM

Hay William

What ever happened to those OME springs I gave you. If they went to somebody else thats cool but if they are still laying around, we can maybe give the lurker here a hand

To the lurker, eh, I mean Scott Welcome. You do not need to necessarily buy a kit to get the best lift for the money you have available to spend. Each kit has its pluses and minues and frankly, if you are not planning on a huge build-up - the stock arms, a modest lift such as a budget boost (or the OME if we still have stuff laying around), some disconnects and a new set of shocks will suit you very well. Your TJ will be able to go everywhere that Jeeps on 33's go short of say Johnson Valley or Stoddard Wells.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

Old 11-30-2001, 11:02 AM

Budget Boost?

What exactly is a budget boost? Is that just new springs and bumper stops? Forgive me if I'm not up with the Jeep lingo!

Wouldn't just installing larger springs cause problems with the angle of the drive shafts/transfer case - I'd have to drop the transfer case down too, right?
Old 11-30-2001, 11:14 AM

No new springs needed Scott - a budget boost is a set of spring spacers that will also give you lift while maintaining your stock ride. I ran one of these for about 8 months and frankly, until this past year when I went up to a 4" lift and so forth, my Jeep on 33's really didn't go any further than my Jeep on the budget boost and 31's. We might be able to scare up enough stuff here so you don't have to spend big bucks on a lift. I have some bumpstop extension spacers you can have, a bb or spring spacer kit is only 100-150 and then you will need some shocks and a set of disco's. No biggie really.

Most bb's don't really alter pinion angle to greatly - more depends on the Jeep actually. Mine vibrated right off the showroom floor - thers can lift to 2+ inches with nothing needed.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

Old 11-30-2001, 11:41 AM

Hi Scott. What's your time frame for this? I need a little more lift to clear the 35's and will have some springs available in the next month or so.

There is no bolt on kit called driver skill. If you want it, you have to actually go out and drive...offroad.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:15 PM

Time Frame

I'm just reasearching the possibilities right now. So far you guys have been a great amount of help.

I like the way my Jeep is now and don't want to do anything to it that would jepordize reliability or safety or anything. I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!

I really don't have a deadline for anything - well, unless TObject has his way and plans a run where I might need the modifications.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:33 PM
Reggae

I run plenty of trails with my jeep without any lift at all. For most trails around here lift is not required at all. No matter what you do thick wallet is required. JEEP stands for “Just Empty Every Pocket”.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 11-30-2001, 06:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Vandervort:

I like the way my Jeep is now and don't want to do anything to it that would jepordize reliability or safety or anything. I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!

[/quote]

Bwaahahahaha! Join the club Scott! That's funny. I'm gonna steal that for my cute thing at the bottom of my post!
Thanks Scott,
Ron
Old 12-03-2001, 06:40 AM

:)

Heh, heh, heh..........
Old 12-03-2001, 06:46 AM

Pretty cool, huh Scott!

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!