Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > The Photo Circle
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Photo Circle Our brand spanking new forum to discuss and ask questions about anything related to photography. Also share you pictures and talk about creative works.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Picture organizing/editing program

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced program that can not only organize your photos but has easy to use tools to adjust the pictures to correct for photography sins? One that will take most of the guesswork (artistic ability) out of the equation is a definite plus. Also, the obligatory red-eye reduction, etc.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
Re: Picture organizing/editing program

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Any recommendations for a reasonably priced program that can not only organize your photos but has easy to use tools to adjust the pictures to correct for photography sins? One that will take most of the guesswork (artistic ability) out of the equation is a definite plus. Also, the obligatory red-eye reduction, etc.

Thanks!
I havent used it yet, but Google just came out with a free download- Picassa I know they have organiztion and basic editing tools

Not sure if its even worth trying.

Tam
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Picture organizing/editing program

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepGal
I havent used it yet, but Google just came out with a free download- Picassa I know they have organiztion and basic editing tools

Not sure if its even worth trying.

Tam
Take a look at the second page. That program finds and organizes all the pictures on your computer for you. I'm not sure that's something everyone may want.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Re: Re: Re: Picture organizing/editing program

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Take a look at the second page. That program finds and organizes all the pictures on your computer for you. I'm not sure that's something everyone may want.
Yeah, I used the original version of Picasso when it first came out and I was less than impressed with both its file organization and touch-up capabilities. For a free program it was fine, but I'd rather pay real money for something with a bit more ability yet easy or somewhat easy to use.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Picture organizing/editing program

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Yeah, I used the original version of Picasso when it first came out and I was less than impressed with both its file organization and touch-up capabilities. For a free program it was fine, but I'd rather pay real money for something with a bit more ability yet easy or somewhat easy to use.
Adobe Photoshop Elements has a lot of auto correct features that are pretty easy to apply and undo.

Take a look.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Reggae

For another no extra cost option take a look at software bundled with your camera. Unless something has been changed recently, Nikon should have included ether Nikon View or Nikon PictureProject. You can also go to the Nikon USA web site, register, plug in your camera serial number, and they should let you download these software packages.

You can try them both and see witch one you like more. PictureProject is probably easier to use for beginners and has more features built-in. Nikon View may be better if you use something else, like Adobe Photoshop or Corel Photopaint, to edit you images in.

You should register on the Nikon website anyway, so you can download any firmware updates for the camera.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Reggae

I agree on the Adobe Photoshop Elements recommendation. This is a very well received software package, and probably the best low-cost option these days. Look for various coupons and special offers that can bring the price down even more. They used to include such coupons with cameras, scanners, pen-tablets, and other hardware.

Another thing you can do is download 30-day trial of Nikon Capture or the newer Nikon Capture NX. The NX version is Nikon's attempt to compete with Adobe.

I currently use the big Adobe CS2 suite that includes Photoshop and Bridge. Before that I had been a long fan of the Corel Draw line of tools. I also liked Micrografx Picture Publisher, which is now also owned by Corel.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
I agree on the Adobe Photoshop Elements recommendation. This is a very well received software package, and probably the best low-cost option these days. Look for various coupons and special offers that can bring the price down even more. They used to include such coupons with cameras, scanners, pen-tablets, and other hardware.

Another thing you can do is download 30-day trial of Nikon Capture or the newer Nikon Capture NX. The NX version is Nikon's attempt to compete with Adobe.

I currently use the big Adobe CS2 suite that includes Photoshop and Bridge. Before that I had been a long fan of the Corel Draw line of tools. I also liked Micrografx Picture Publisher, which is now also owned by Corel.
Elements was included in the video edit software Kat bought.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

there is another one called acdsee. it also sees raw images.
http://www.acdsee.com/
i have not used this much, but the fact that it sees the raw images as well as the jpegs in the same window is a cool tidbit.

try it out for free. if you like it... get it. it is only like 40 bucks.
post some feedback if you have any.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
picasa has been updated somewhat. I actually like it for most web-based stuff. And the "I'm feeling lucky" button works for most pics I want to post online.

Also, emailing from within the program is a snap. It's also a ghetto-simple way to resize a pic or a bunch. Set it to resize to whatever size you choose when emailing, and then send it to yourself.

For free, it's way cool.