Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed Enter at your own risk. This is the land of political discussions, jokes, and nonsense posts.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Banned for being bad

Is this a good one

http://content.sears.com/data/produc...958000-190.jpg

DeWalt 15 amp Circular Saw, 7-1/4 in. with High Strength Base

15 amp, 7-1/4 in. circular saw has high strength base that can withstand 1 story drop. Electric Brake stops blade after use. Lightweight design makes this power tool easy to use. 129.99
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:17 PM

HEY!!! You can afford that!!

.....in just a few days!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Cement_guy
HEY!!! You can afford that!!

I got a miter saw but now I need to be more flexable, I see alot of stuff to cut up

.....in just a few days!
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:27 PM

We should create a power tools forum for Don.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by William
We should create a power tools forum for Don.

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Don, you are doing the gilligan thing. You ask the question, but you don't tell us what you are doing.

Start there and then we will know if your selection meets any or the criteria you have.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Don, you are doing the gilligan thing. You ask the question, but you don't tell us what you are doing.

Start there and then we will know if your selection meets any or the criteria you have.
Your right, what I want to do is cut some replacement boards for the garage, the person before me covered the lower part of it with carpet. Also I have a door and extra plywood to get rid of that the contractor left behind, so I want to saw it up for the trash can.

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
Your right, what I want to do is cut some replacement boards for the garage, the person before me covered the lower part of it with carpet. Also I have a door and extra plywood to get rid of that the contractor left behind, so I want to saw it up for the trash can.
Define replacement boards for the garage.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:34 PM

Don - I suggest you hire a handyman so you don't screw up your house
Old 03-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Define replacement boards for the garage.
Im will take some pictures and post them Im not sure how to discribe them.

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Im will take some pictures and post them Im not sure how to discribe them.
if you can't describe something, are you sure you oughta be cutting it up with a saw?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Don - I suggest you hire a handyman so you don't screw up your house
That's odd, the wife said the same thing

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Not myopic, just need glasses

Quote:
Also I have a door and extra plywood to get rid of that the contractor left behind, so I want to saw it up for the trash can.

BONFIRE
Old 03-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by shmekelhead
BONFIRE
ain't been to CA much, have you?

If he took that stuff and started a very safe bonfire in his backyard, I'd have to go bail his butt outta jail. I kid you not.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
if you can't describe something, are you sure you oughta be cutting it up with a saw?
I want to say 2x4's but bigger

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Don - keep this post so you can show your insurance man what you cut when he comes out to deny your claim (after you cut down a 6x6 or 8x8 load bearing stud or beam and your house colapses).

Old 03-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
In that case, invest in a tape measure and learn how to read it.

Most lumber used in homes in generally rectangular in shape with one narrow side and one side that is longer.

Measure the short side, measure the long side and post the results.

Unless they framed your home with dimensional lumber, it will be S4S (surfaced on four sides) which will make it seem like you got ripped off as it generally takes about a 1/2" of material to get all the splinters to go away.

In a nutshell, a 2x4 will measure 1 1/2" and 3 1/2".

It's not really 1 1/2 though because if you stack two of them side by side they measure 3 1/8". Not really of any concern to you unless you are laying out walls and need to know how wide to frame in the RO for a doorway using pre-hung doors.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 AM

Re: Is this a good one

Quote:
http://content.sears.com/data/produc...958000-190.jpg

DeWalt 15 amp Circular Saw, 7-1/4 in. with High Strength Base

15 amp, 7-1/4 in. circular saw has high strength base that can withstand 1 story drop. Electric Brake stops blade after use. Lightweight design makes this power tool easy to use. 129.99

There is nothing wrong with the unit shown. It will cut you 2x4's just fine. .... but if you have not already bought it you might want to look at a SKIL 7 1/4" Wormdrive.....standard of the industry ..... the reason that 90% of the professionals use them is that they are durable and strong.

With that said they are a little more expensive also.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Is this a good one

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottyY2K
There is nothing wrong with the unit shown. It will cut you 2x4's just fine. .... but if you have not already bought it you might want to look at a SKIL 7 1/4" Wormdrive.....standard of the industry ..... the reason that 90% of the professionals use them is that they are durable and strong.

That Skil would be one of my dust collectors
Old 03-10-2004, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Is this a good one

Quote:
That Skil would be one of my dust collectors
So, it is collecting dust because you prefer to use a non-skil or non-wormdrive model? Do you like the smaller saw because it is lighter or easier to use? Just curious.

Whenever I go on any jobsite the only saw I typically see is a skil worm-drive. I always much preferred my wormdrive to my dad's non-wormdrive (He ALWAYS gets the "BEST/CHEAPEST" deal he can find on a tool (or anyting else too). That is years ago though and both of our saws had seen lots of use.

I thought the skil was stronger and cut better. Especially when doing any ripping. My father-in-law (all 120#'s of him) made me buy him a 6 1/2" skil wormdrive when we built my house.....it was a littler lighter and easier for him to handle. He was a professional home builder....
Old 03-10-2004, 07:58 AM

I'll toss a vote in for a wormdrive also. When I finally broke down and bought one several years ago, I wished I'd of done it sooner. Feels different in the hand, but nicer to use...IMHO.

All depends in how much you want to spend, how important the quality of tool is, and how often you plan on using it.

BTW, before you start cutting any lumber that is inside walls, I'd learn how to tell the difference between load-bearing and nonload-bearing walls...
Old 03-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is this a good one

Quote:
So, it is collecting dust because you prefer to use a non-skil or non-wormdrive model? Do you like the smaller saw because it is lighter or easier to use? Just curious.

Whenever I go on any jobsite the only saw I typically see is a skil worm-drive. I always much preferred my wormdrive to my dad's non-wormdrive (He ALWAYS gets the "BEST/CHEAPEST" deal he can find on a tool (or anyting else too). That is years ago though and both of our saws had seen lots of use.

I thought the skil was stronger and cut better. Especially when doing any ripping. My father-in-law (all 120#'s of him) made me buy him a 6 1/2" skil wormdrive when we built my house.....it was a littler lighter and easier for him to handle. He was a professional home builder....
Nope, it's collecting dust because I quit building custom homes, cabinets, remodels, tenant improvements, and got out of construction.

The Skil 77 is the standard by which all other circular saws are measured. Better than, worse than, heavier, lighter, it's still the benchmark.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is this a good one

Quote:
Nope, it's collecting dust because I quit building custom homes, cabinets, remodels, tenant improvements, and got out of construction.

The Skil 77 is the standard by which all other circular saws are measured. Better than, worse than, heavier, lighter, it's still the benchmark.
Thanks for the clarification .... I can certainly understand that.

Congratulations on getting out of construction!! That has to be a move in the right direction!!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Don - keep this post so you can show your insurance man what you cut when he comes out to deny your claim (after you cut down a 6x6 or 8x8 load bearing stud or beam and your house colapses).

Gee thanks diddle

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
In that case, invest in a tape measure and learn how to read it.

Most lumber used in homes in generally rectangular in shape with one narrow side and one side that is longer.

Measure the short side, measure the long side and post the results.

Unless they framed your home with dimensional lumber, it will be S4S (surfaced on four sides) which will make it seem like you got ripped off as it generally takes about a 1/2" of material to get all the splinters to go away.

In a nutshell, a 2x4 will measure 1 1/2" and 3 1/2".

It's not really 1 1/2 though because if you stack two of them side by side they measure 3 1/8". Not really of any concern to you unless you are laying out walls and need to know how wide to frame in the RO for a doorway using pre-hung doors.
I will get a correct mesure tonight after work

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Banned for being bad

Re: Re: Is this a good one

Quote:

The wormdrives do not have an electric brake. is that importent.

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I'm still using the Gold Aniversary Edition. I can't tell you how many houses that thing has built.
If your cutting out boards that are all ready in place you might want to consider a saws-all. I've seen a few hands cut off by people not using their circular saw correctly.
Bob
Old 03-10-2004, 12:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Is this a good one

Quote:
The wormdrives do not have an electric brake. is that importent.
To be honest I have not used a circular saw with an electric brake. On the skil the steel guard slaps back into place and you can set the saw down as soon as you are done with a cut without waiting for the blade to stop. I am sure the guard on the dewalt slaps down just the sam.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

http://ai.pricegrabber.com/product_i...822257_125.jpg
skil 77 is a great saw.. but not for the amateur. the worm drive is unforgiving. the picture is a magnesium skil 77. a great saw, and lighter weight.
this is the best for framing ant that type of work.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 03-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Don,

Based on the posts I've read (selling parts to pay phone bills, etc.), I'd skip these saws altogether and aim a lot lower. Home Depot sells a Skil Saw with case for about $40. Take the rest of the money you were considering spending on the Dewalt and go buy a sawzall.

I'm not downplaying the importance of quality tools for the professional or demanding enthusiast, but it sounds like your tools will see pretty light duty. Remember, for tools on a budget, Harbor Freight is your friend.