Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Can I buy a clue?

radiator leak

hey guys gotta radiator problem for ya..i go out to the jeep this morning and theres a puddle of radiator fluid underneath. I checked the hoses-all were fine and also the drain plug and it was in. I opened the cap to the radiator and the funny thing was taht fluid was still to the brim-can it be that its just over filled and that excess is spilling out?...my dads said that it can also be water pump-can thisbe? please help me asap.. thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 11:56 AM

I had a radiator leak in my ZJ that would occur randomly.

Everything always checked out fine (cap, plug, hoses, pressure test).

Turned out that one of the plastic side rails on the radiator had a hairline crack in it that would only start leaking at certain times.

So I'd drive, park the jeep, and then sometimes come back to a small puddle under it.

You might want to check for something like that.

Don't know about the pump though.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:28 PM

Re: radiator leak

Quote:
Originally posted by H8PVMNT00
my dads said that it can also be water pump-can thisbe?
Sure can....and probably is. I would check the pump first. Look at the weep hole on the front of the pump to see if you see some antifreeze seeping out. If you can't see the hole look at the front of the block, you can usually see antifreeze there if the pump is going out.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:51 PM

Also look at the top of the radiator. Those stock radiator leak all the time at the seams.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jays89YJ
Re: Re: radiator leak

Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Edge
Sure can....and probably is. I would check the pump first. Look at the weep hole on the front of the pump to see if you see some antifreeze seeping out. If you can't see the hole look at the front of the block, you can usually see antifreeze there if the pump is going out.
I checked there before when I had the same problem and didn't see any fluid. Maybe this was because my engine was still hot or it evaporated the fluid...

A sure way to check is make sure you have fluid in your radiator & overflow container. Then start your Jeep for a few minutes and shut it off. Jump out of the Jeep and bend down to see if it's puking fluid on the driveway under the engine area. That's how I knew my waterpump was done.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Can I buy a clue?

thanks guys ill do that and let you all know what it is!..if i dont get back to you all have a merry christmas and happy new year