Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > The Photo Circle
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Photo Circle Our brand spanking new forum to discuss and ask questions about anything related to photography. Also share you pictures and talk about creative works.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:41 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

color of night

these are a series of pictures i snapped the other night. i am attempting to learn how to use this camera and some of the features. these are all with a canon 10d and sigma lens. there is no flash. i tried a number of shutter speeds to get "the look" i was going for.
here are a few of the ones i like.

the pictures were taken in "raw" format, and saved as tiff. then for the web, they were converted to jpeg. in the conversion, some of the brightness was lost, but i think they still look pretty cool.

these are all in shoreline village, and the boat is the queen
enjoy.... feel free to comment. i can take the criticism :wave:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 07-06-2005, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the pics! I have yet to visit this area and it sure looks beautiful at night.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 07-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Banned

Really nice. I have the little bother to the 10 D the Digital Rebel I love that camera. Are you using any sort of filter on any of those?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 AM

Eric,

What the hell you doing in LB??? It has been a while sience I have been down there I used to work about a block away from where you took those picts. I forgot how nice it is down there at night when most the people leave.

Scott
Old 07-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Banned

Maybe you can give me some pointers on using my Digital Rebel.

Kentucky River

Cumberland Falls Kentucky

Yahoo Falls Kentucky

Some where in the Cumberland Mountains
Old 07-08-2005, 07:54 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

Quote:
Really nice. I have the little bother to the 10 D the Digital Rebel I love that camera. Are you using any sort of filter on any of those?

no, there are no filters. on one of the two light house pics i added some red in photoshop.

Quote:
Eric,

What the hell you doing in LB??? It has been a while sience I have been down there I used to work about a block away from where you took those picts. I forgot how nice it is down there at night when most the people leave.

i live in lakewood. about 15-20 minutes from the queen.
i just went there because there are interesting things to photograph
didnt you live in lakewood before?

Quote:
02_WHITE_TJ_X Maybe you can give me some pointers on using my Digital Rebel.
the rebel is a very similar camera, and i am sure it is capable of great shots. my first guess is that you are using the lenses that came with it. if this is the case... there is a big part of the problem.
i spent some money on lenses to get the crispness of those pics.
the lens in those is a sigma 24-70 lens @2.8
it is an upper/middle quality lens. if you want to get really fancy, you can get the canon L glass lens, but expect to spend a lot of money.
the sigma lenses i bought have the same numbers as the canon L lenses, but i am sure there is some reason other than the name alone why canon gets double the money

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 07-08-2005, 09:04 AM

Yea I grew up in Cerritos and got my first house about 3 mi. away in LKWD. It just seems like so long ago I think it was 2.5-3 years ago.

Scott
Old 07-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
Thanks for the pics! I have yet to visit this area and it sure looks beautiful at night.
*cough* Buddy Passes *cough*

You'd like the Long Beach area. Plus stay on the QM, it's actually quite comphy.

I do like your pic of the QM Nailer.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

NAILER341,

Nice pictures, I like your touch.

Criticism? Ok, how about this: your pictures number 201 and 202, and of essentially the same thing. Pick one and throw the other one away (or combine them through digital means to take the best out of the two, and merge into one image for presentation).

02_WHITE_TJ_X,

try to dial a bit of negative White Balance compensation in your camera (you can also try "Cloudy" or "Shady" WB settings). Get the saturation up ("Vivid" mode or something similar). Put a hood in front of your leans; try not to shoot against the sun (unless that's the effect you are going for). Instead of shooting in the middle of the day, go for early morning or late afternoon. Also try a circular polarizer filter, it helps to darken the sky, and tone down haze.

Your waterfall picture has a lot of camera shake. Put the camera on a tripod.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 07-08-2005, 10:46 PM

Erik,
<insert Dodge Truck commercial guy> Sweeeeeeeet
One of the benefits of working at the terminal right behind the Queen Mary is when working late, I get to drive over that same bridge in your second shot. Long Beach, at night, all lit up is really a beautifull sight. Nice pictures. Thanks for someone else's view.
Note to self, self, visit Kentucky.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason L Williams
Erik,
<insert Dodge Truck commercial guy> Sweeeeeeeet
One of the benefits of working at the terminal right behind the Queen Mary is when working late, I get to drive over that same bridge in your second shot. Long Beach, at night, all lit up is really a beautifull sight. Nice pictures. Thanks for someone else's view.
Note to self, self, visit Kentucky.
Kentucky is really nice in some spots most of the really pretty stuff is right in the middle of Red Neckville so watch out for the banjo playing guy I moved from OH and as far as stuff to take pictures of Kentucky is way better. IMO Ohio is one of the ugliest states that I have been to. CA is probally my favorite states I've been too, you guys got it good out there except all the people the state has way too many people.