Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-15-2007, 07:14 AM

1" BL and 2" BB what else should I get?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all. have an inch of icey snow this morn.

2000 TJ sahara suspension all stock.
I am getting a 1" BL and 2" spring spacers (Budget boost), and rear bump stops. This my first moderate/major upgrade. Eventually I would like to add a 3" suspension lift if I need to clear 35's but not real soon.

What else should I get I'm sure I need

shocks
dico's 2"-4" unless a 3"-6" is made.

I am going to order a MML found on this site in a thread http://www.goferitoffroad.com/ for the MML $43.00 just a metal spacer and new bolt and a hollow threaded insert use's original MM. I read on here about bullet proof, MORE and Currie so I'll try these guys in NC.

Do I need trackbar relocation brackets, Rear sway bar extensions, brake lines etc. Someone told me on another site I could drill a new hole for my rear trac bar and certainly makes sence

I dont want to make my first upgrade to be more of a learning experience than neccessary Running and ordering parts because I was not prepared And I will attempt this mostly alone which may not be as nice (no one to else blame).

Larry
Old 12-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Reggae

Get the motor mount lift installed at the same time with the body lift; it’s the best to do both together.

If you can swing a belly-up plate (the one from Currie’s is a good one, the one from Terra is not strong enough for hard wheeling) this is also a good time to do together with the body and motor lift.

Your potential issue is the transfer case shifter. It may just work with no changes, or you may need to relocate the shifter bracket on the tub a little bit. Or you may need one of them transfer case shifter brackets that decouple the shifter pivot point from the tub. Skyjacker and Advanced Adapters make the brackets (the adapters may need further modification to function the best).
Old 12-15-2007, 04:47 PM

I ran that same size lift on my 2000 TJ. I did have to use a rear trackbar relocation bracket, but not one in the front. I did not extend swaybar links either.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:47 PM

how to install a BL and spacer lift, what parts?

You didnt have to extend the rear sway bar links thats good then I should be good. The daystar kit I ordered has a bracket for the transfer shifter. I will get the MML and install with the BL, looked at a couple sites for the BL and BB install dosent seem to be a real tough job, unless things get misalligned somehow. I am hopping to just drill a new hole for the rear track bar.
some of my research sites
http://www.stu-offroad.com/
http://www.universityofjeep.ca/Tech/...pacerTJv2.HTML
and http://www.jeepbrokers.com/jeep_project_1_body_lift.htm

thanks, if you think of anything else
Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 PM

Well for the beginners like me, I was able to use the stock shocks and sway bar links front and rear, I realize the shocks being stock defeats the extra distance or flex I was after until I put longer ones on.
(rear shocks measured ~12" fully colapsed and ~19.5" fully open) end to eye.

not sure what length shocks I can put on, I do want to install a 3-4" suspension lift in 2008 so I dont want to buy shocks twice in a year.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

If you're adding a different lift sometime in 2008, just use the stock shocks until then. You'll have a bit less travel and more money for your future lift.

Call me crazy, but I'd just keep the spacers and add a set of OME shocks all the way around. It'll ride like a Cadillac and kick butt offroad. If you need a bit more load carrying capacity, swap in some OME springs as well. Put your money on some ARB lockers and you'll be tearing it up.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weston View Post
Call me crazy, but I'd just keep the spacers and add a set of OME shocks all the way around. It'll ride like a Cadillac and kick butt offroad. If you need a bit more load carrying capacity, swap in some OME springs as well. Put your money on some ARB lockers and you'll be tearing it up.
You're not crazy. I miss how my Jeep drove with the OME lift (even the stock springs and OME shocks was a good combo). It was just too hard to fit 35's without lots of cutting....

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-29-2007, 04:07 PM

sounds good, I would like to get to 35's with no rubbing - Missouri has lots of mud and rocks so the ground clearance would be good "and it looks cool". I will be haulling some camping gear maybe need springs but a trip or two will help me decide. I'll check out OME.

and yea a locker for sure i was looking at OX because it is cable not air actuated.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 PM

x3 for OME, i have the 2.5" HD lift and it's worth every penny. don't let the cost scare you, you really get what you pay for in this department. also keep in mind that the springs and shocks are rated for 100k miles, so they'll still be truckin' long after the other guys have sagged and softened.