Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-20-2004, 06:42 PM

'61 cj with pinto motor?

will this make a good rig to build up? I still have a 77 cj auto w/ a 304 , but some friends who are more into jeeping than me say the '61 has a much better drive train, etc. what do you think?

thanks,

steve
Old 05-21-2004, 07:29 AM

It's almost impossible to say with any certainty without going over both of them closely.

One may have a better drivetrain, but have considerably more rust, and frame areas where attention is needed to be reliable etc. Wiring, overall body, suspension, steering, brakes, and a big host of other items are all what I would consider into the big picture whether one is better than the other.

In your other post you mentioned that the Pinto motor is seized, but have another motor you want to install (but didn't give any specifics what kind it is except for a year & w/ 50, not sure what w/ 50 means ).

So, assuming the '77 is driveable, I'll bet it currently has a better drivetrain (but maybe not overall).

Got pics of either?