Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 PM

EBC brake pads

I am thinking of putting in some new pads on my rig and also some new front disks.

I am thinking the EBC is some good stuff. That said I am wondering on the recommendation for EBC pads for my '03 TJ used as a daily driver. I know EBC make several types of pads and wondering about the best "fit" for a 5500 lb. daily drivers spinning 37 MTRs and on occasion pulling a M 101 military trailer.

And the recommended pads are: __________

visit my forum: all rigs, expedition type travel in the SW and beyond, all are welcome, no cost just friendship...

www.savagesun4x4expeditions.com
Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Re: EBC brake pads

Quote:
Originally posted by SavageSun4x4
I am thinking of putting in some new pads on my rig and also some new front disks.

I am thinking the EBC is some good stuff. That said I am wondering on the recommendation for EBC pads for my '03 TJ used as a daily driver. I know EBC make several types of pads and wondering about the best "fit" for a 5500 lb. daily drivers spinning 37 MTRs and on occasion pulling a M 101 military trailer.

And the recommended pads are: __________
We are enjoying excellent results with the EBC 7000 series SUV green pads on Van's kits.

With one exception, all users and testers have let me know that I really should have warned them about how hard they would stop. They said it's not fun to have to clean the nose prints off the inside of the windshield.

I have heard several times that there is now a street version of their Yellow Stuff pad, but we have yet to test it. You don't mind being a guinea pig, eh? Buy some and let us know how they do.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 AM

Re: Re: EBC brake pads

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

I have heard several times that there is now a street version of their Yellow Stuff pad, but we have yet to test it. You don't mind being a guinea pig, eh? Buy some and let us know how they do.
OK, I am always up for that [10 years in in R&D gave me a taste for pushing the envelope ].

Give me some time, to track down the pads and disks. I will contact off line and let you know before I start testing etc.

visit my forum: all rigs, expedition type travel in the SW and beyond, all are welcome, no cost just friendship...

Old 07-21-2007, 11:32 AM

Blaine's guidance on BP beak-in

"I have good success with 15-20 easy to moderate stops from 30-35 down to 3 mph.

Don't stop anywhere during that process and rest your foot on the brake. If you have to stop, use the parking brake to hold you until you can move again. Do the stops back to back if you can.

After the last one, get it out in higher speed traffic where you can drive for about 10 minutes or so at 60+ mph to cool the rotors down.

After the cool down interval, do a moderate to serious stop from 60 to 3 mph, again without resting your foot on the pedal after the stop.

Do that twice and go for another cool down run. After that, you should be highly impressed with your brakes, surprised in fact."

Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
We are enjoying excellent results with the EBC 7000 series SUV green pads on Van's kits.

With one exception, all users and testers have let me know that I really should have warned them about how hard they would stop. They said it's not fun to have to clean the nose prints off the inside of the windshield.

Blaine, time for me to place an order for new front Disks, pads and rear pads.

You still going with the above recommendations.

Thanks....

Old 05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
Blaine, time for me to place an order for new front Disks, pads and rear pads.

You still going with the above recommendations.

Thanks....
We have been using the Yellow pads from EBC with great success. They are by far the single best brake pad I've ever seen.

We've gotten a few reports of less than stellar first thing cold stops in the mornings, but I've not had that experience with the several sets I've put on, tested, and daily drive.

I suspect it's an issue of ambient colder AM temps and not an overall concern with the pad in general.

Patrick is still doing well at last report on them in Colorado, so that may tell you something.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Thank you

Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Patrick is still doing well at last report on them in Colorado, so that may tell you something.
I thought this might be a good place to offer my opinion how the yellow pads are doing. I've only had them on my Jeeps for a couple months now, the lowest temperature they have been driven is probably 35-40F. My issue with brake pads is I often drive on the highway or rural areas where I will not use the brake pedal for 10-30 minutes. This will decrease the efficiency of any brake pad that relies on heat for an increase in stopping power.

I have noticed a definite correlation between the temperature of the pads and braking performance. So what does that mean? The short answer is nothing. When cold, I would compare the yellow pads with the green pads when warm. In other words, they work well, certainly better than the average pad out there. And after they get warmed up, they just get better and better.

The long answer is a bit more complicated. My TJ has Van's kit with the small rotors, large calipers, yellow pads, hydroboost and large MTRs. On this Jeep, there is no temperature differential. I can easily lock up the front brakes at anytime. The limiting factor with this Jeep is the traction of the MTRs (or lack of). While the hydroboost is probably a contributor to this, I have had pads on the TJ (PF) that I could not lock up the front tires with when they were cold.

The ZJ is different. It is stock, with street 29" tires and Van's 16" kit with yellow pads. Yesterday morning I had to drive into Denver for work. On the way back the temp was 53F. I exited the highway at 75mph and hit the brakes hard. I couldn't get the ABS to come on. I did stop hard enough to get the front tires to start to howl, and I did stop shorter than I expected, but not enough to lock up a tire. I repeated this at my next stop about 10" later, while going 55mph. Same results. When cold, the pads work very well, better than any other pad I have used. But what makes these pads special is how well they work when warmed up. They start grabbing sooner when pressing the brake pedal, and if I continue pressing harder they will quickly lock up the front tires (activate the ABS). It is quite amazing and almost scary.

At this point my biggest problem is making the transition from the ZJ to the TJ. The brakes work so well with the ZJ that I forget to leave myself more room with the TJ when I am late braking into corners. Nothing like raising your pulse level when you realize you are quickly running out of straight road before a turn and the fronts are starting to lock up as you press the brake pedal just a bit more than you should trying to scrub off even more speed.

I think the added cost of these pads are worth it, they work well. Don- I am curious how well they work with stock brakes. Let us know how they work for you.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:17 PM

Patrick, thanks for the impression. One of the ways you could help improve your braking is to move to a better climate. 53F here is Scottsdale is dead winter, heck my pool doesn't even get that cold...

I hope to get them ordered this week and Gawd only knows when I will have them put on, but its high on my list.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
Patrick, thanks for the impression. One of the ways you could help improve your braking is to move to a better climate. 53F here is Scottsdale is dead winter, heck my pool doesn't even get that cold...

I hope to get them ordered this week and Gawd only knows when I will have them put on, but its high on my list.
Shoot me an email before you break them in so I can forward a set of break-in instructions to you. If you break them in hard, you will ruin them.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Shoot me an email before you break them in so I can forward a set of break-in instructions to you. If you break them in hard, you will ruin them.
Thanks Blaine.

I am chasing parts numbers now for my front and rear (1/2 T Chevy, Ford Explorer). I have sent a e mail to DynaTrac to find out what was installed when I had my axles built.