Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-01-2002, 05:07 PM

Back from Moab..................

I just got back from a great 5 1/2 week trip. I had a blast. I took about 5 days off total and only broke one tie rod end. Lucky me.
I saw Tracy, JimB and Josh get upside down. Two broken drive shafts and one front axle. A destroyed ARB and a broken (pretty new) winch rope like the ones you guys run. It was a pull up a waterfall at the end of Upper Helldorado. They were using two winches when it broke. It may have gotten backlashed but no one knows. A break there while winching could kill someone. One guy said he has seen four break now. I'll stick to cable. I met a guy who broke a CTM u-joint. He had all the weight on one tire, had it in full turn and hammered it backing up. He was not surprised and very happy that Jack sent him TWO new ones! I saw him sell one to a guy on Rusty Nail.
Had a great time with Hellbender and his friend Doug. I only wish he had more time. When he parks, folks start crawling all over his Jeep. I wonder why? They never do that to mine.
I made a lot of new friends. I did Upper Helldorado with no damage. Last year I thought you had to be crazy just to attempt it. Proving
Grounds is INSANE!
I DID NOT ROLL MY JEEP, but I did put it straight up (actuall it was pointed backwards sitting on the spare tire) and on it's side in Micky's Hot Tub. I only tore the top up a bit.
I had a ball with good friends! JimB, Hanz, Boulder Bob (I invited to this board) and a crazy guy from Florida named Jerry and his stretched (12") TJ with a Corvette engine and tranny.
I got to vist with Brad Kilby during Easter Safari and watch all kinds of crazy people! Guess I was in good company.
My web space is gone so I need to find some space to post pictures. I took about a zillion and printed a few for everyone I wheeled with. I used over a hundred sheets of paper. I loved it.
Ron
Old 05-01-2002, 10:46 PM
Banned

Hey Ron! I was wondering when you were coming back. I thought maybe you were moving out there.

It was good seeing you out there and thanks for keeping me company. I was hoping to hook up with you to go wheeling but.....well next time. Welcome back!
Old 05-02-2002, 07:29 AM

I'm jealous Ron! The chance to wheel all you want, and meet all kinds of people, for weeks at a time is cool!

If you get a chance and find space for proving grounds and upper helardo, I'd like to see that. I'm think that lower heldardo is something I'd like to try next year.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:53 AM

William,
Lower Helldorado has changed a bunch. Word is some shiny Toyotas didn't want to scratch so they winched a bunch of rocks to make the trail easier. It's still great fun but less of a "body damage" challenge.
Brad, maybe next year some wheeling in Moab? I know you're busy wheeling with all the big shots but I'll bet they didn't take you through Upper Helldorado? We could do that!
Ron
Old 05-02-2002, 09:18 AM

Well Ron I am glad you made it back in one piece.

if you want type a little story and send it and the picts to me and I will put it up on my site.

Scott
Old 05-02-2002, 10:47 AM

Ron, this time next year you'll be ready for upper proving groungs won't you
Old 05-02-2002, 11:15 PM

Them dang retired guys! Glad you made it back OK Ron.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON

Brad, maybe next year some wheeling in Moab? I know you're busy wheeling with all the big shots but I'll bet they didn't take you through Upper Helldorado? We could do that!
Ron
Shoot, I was ready the moment I saw it! The first day we ran lower, upper was fairly empty. I just couldn't get anyone to go. On the second trip, upper was packed like Los Angeles traffic on a Friday afternoon. I watched one guy attempt the first rock and after 10 minutes or so, I left. Even if he did make it (he didn't that I saw), he would have gone 50 feet then sit for 2 hours waiting for everyone to get out of the way. Heh heh!

Yeah, Moab is on my "to do" list for next year.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:24 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Ron,

Glad to hear you made it back safely. It was nice seeing you again even though we didn't get on any trails together. I promise I'll hook up with you when I do Cliff Hanger again.
Glad the hot tub damage was minimal.