Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 04-03-2002, 05:14 PM

What year XJ high pinion fits a TJ?

I found an -88 and I'm thinking of making an offer, what's a good price?

Anders
Old 04-03-2002, 05:44 PM
Banned

I think it'll fit, no problem, but back then they may have used an axle disconnect and had the small u-joints. Are you going to "rebuild" it?

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 04-03-2002, 09:01 PM

I've been told that XJ fronts are the same as TJ fronts.

I'd try and find a post 97 because you'll get the stronger u-joints and lose the vacume disconnect thing that people complain about.

Of course if you rebuild then none of that will matter.

Jeff

99 XJ - man is it low right now....
Old 04-04-2002, 03:57 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paradiddle:
I'd try and find a post 97 because you'll get the stronger u-joints and lose the vacume disconnect thing that people complain about.
[/quote]

Jeff,

What year did the XJ's revert to the low pinion fronts? I thought it was around 97, maybe 98. The HP version is the way to go. There is a time frame that has the HP and the 297 joints, those are the ones to get. Can someone help me out with that range of years? I need one of these as well.

It's only a 4 cylinder...wait up!
Old 04-04-2002, 06:50 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim M:
Quote: "Originally posted by Paradiddle:
"

Jeff,

What year did the XJ's revert to the low pinion fronts? I thought it was around 97, maybe 98. The HP version is the way to go. There is a time frame that has the HP and the 297 joints, those are the ones to get. Can someone help me out with that range of years? I need one of these as well.

It's only a 4 cylinder...wait up![/quote]

We have used from 88 up to 98. I do know that there was a split in 2000. Some had them and some didn't.

The only thing to shy away from is the vacuum disconnect. You don't really care about the axle internals or shafts. You have a set in your front axle right now that swap directly in. You also have good knuckles, and good brakes.

I highly recommend that you inspect the lower balljoint at the knuckle. Some of the earlier years used a caster adjuster eccentric sleeve in the knuckle like the older CJ top ball joint. Material has to be removed from the knuckle to put this in and it weakens that area considerably. If you find this to be the case, just swap on the TJ knuckles.

As far as price, anything in the 300-350 range is acceptable. I prefer them to be lower, but it seems we are putting demands on the available supply and they are catching on.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:

The only thing to shy away from is the vacuum disconnect. [/quote]

Thanks for the info.
Any idea what year they stopped using the vaccum disconnect?
Old 04-04-2002, 09:17 AM

Jim,

Blaine is correct (of course) - all XJ's until 2000 had HP D30. You can find a 2000 with a HP but all that I've seen (I've been shopping for a while) had LP. All 2001 had LP. Chryster got cheap in the last years.

Jeff

Old 04-05-2002, 07:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anders Karlsson:
Thanks for the info.
Any idea what year they stopped using the vaccum disconnect?[/quote]

The last year was 91 for the disconnect D30 in XJ's. The disconnect D30 only came with the 231 t-case in these years. If the XJ had a 242 in it then it would have a non-disconnect D30 in it.

84-87 ones will proably have CV joints like a FWD car so you should change them if you go for these years.

89-91 if the vehicle was equipped with the crappy Bendix 9 ABS it will have the 297 U joints in it otherwise all from 88-94/95 would have had the small 260 U joints.

The HP was used from 84-99 on XJ's and LP was used from 00-01.

Got Groceries ?
Old 04-12-2002, 03:52 AM

I'm in the process of removing a D30 in a 1988 XJ(242T-case), and installing a 1998 XJ front end in it. Here is what I have discovered:

-Both are HP, Both have no disconnect feature.
-The 98 D30 has 260 joints, same as the 88.
-The 98 has different knuckles (the way the caliper bolts on.
-The 98 has different calipers, caliper hardware (bolts that hold it to the knuckle), brake pads & brake hoses.

HTH
Old 04-12-2002, 07:31 PM

Chris - that is odd - they were supposed to have switched to the 297 joint in 1997.

Jeff

Old 04-13-2002, 07:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim M:
Quote: "Originally posted by Paradiddle:
"

Jeff,

It's only a 4 cylinder...wait up![/quote]

I think you want one that had a 242 option in it. I once thought it was the ABS that gave you the non-disconnect, 297 jointed D30, but I'm beginning to think the 242 was the indicator. All that I have seen (3-so I'm not the ulitmate expert) do have the ABS on them though.

Upcountry XJ

YJ tub, YJ 'frame', MB 'look', TBI 350/700/D300, GM D60/14 bolt, etc., etc., etc. leaf sprung on a 101" wheelbase

(former station wagon on 35" MT/Rs owner)
Old 04-14-2002, 05:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paradiddle:
Chris - that is odd - they were supposed to have switched to the 297 joint in 1997.

Jeff

99 XJ - man is it low right now....[/quote]

I agree. I thought so too. But I got to looking at the 98 D30, and the U-joints looked rather small, so I pulled out the handy-dandy calipers and sure enough, it had 260's. Now, my customer brought the front end to me, that he had purchased from a junk yard, (without brakes), so, maybe they did a bit of swapin' before he got it?

"Lucy, you got some splainin' to do".
Old 04-22-2002, 08:01 AM
AA reject

1999-2000 was the last year of the high pinion d-30. I just pullled one from an 88 XJ at a bone yard and only paid $35 bucks for the housing alone.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:01 AM

in 91 they went away from the vacuum disconnect, and any abs axle will have the 297 after that for sure.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:07 PM

89-96 with ABS will have the 297 U joints. It was in 95/96 that all came with 297 U joints. If the U joint cap measures 1 1/8" then it has 297 U joints.