Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-04-2001, 01:57 PM

Moving to Moab......

It's been a busy few weeks. It's been tough but someone has to do this kind of work!
First we went to Leadville Colorado for a few days wheeling and on the last day I broke a front u-joint/axle on Holy Cross trail. No problem, picked up a used one in Grand Junction on the way to Moab. Wheeled with friends for a few days and finally forked up the $5 so I could say I did Lion's Back. More pucker factor than I thought!

Anyhow, this was our second trip to Moab and my wife and I like it so much we decided to move there. We did some house hunting and came back home to see what our house is worth and so I could go to Big Bear. We left our 5th wheel there and are going back up tomarrow to do some serious re-locate work.
We are staying at Spanish Trails RV Park in space 41. If any body is in the neighborhood, drop by! Always time for wheeling! It's usually under a hundred degrees in Moab so it's not as hot as most folks think. Our cell # is (702) 683 0187......
Yeah, it's a tough life for retired folks!
Ro
Old 07-06-2001, 08:27 AM

and we are supposed to have soemthing nice to say about this Seriously, good luck with the move and buy a big house.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 07-06-2001, 12:40 PM

Yes, buy a really big house so we can come and visit
Old 07-06-2001, 01:23 PM

I am thinking 8 BR 5 bath and a 12 car ooops Jeep Garage make sure it has high rolup doors.
and maybe a grease pit. AC in the garage would also be nice.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 07-06-2001, 04:12 PM

I second both Scott's and Jeepkat's idea's.

For me, just a place to pitch tent and take a shower works.

I do dishes and general clean up, I can also help wrench.
Old 07-06-2001, 06:04 PM

Ron: You suck! LOL
I am jealous!
Old 07-06-2001, 10:42 PM

1800pimpforrelocation
Old 07-08-2001, 11:46 PM

Ron,

Saw your post regarding your anticipated move to Moab ... congratulations. My wife and I escaped the rat race of the hi-tech Bay Area a couple of years ago and now reside in La Sal, Utah. La Sal is located on the flanks of South Mountain, which is on the southern end of the La Sal mountains (that form the impressive skyline just to the east of Moab). Being that you're from Boulder, Nevada (which I am familiar with), the Moab temps may well seem temperate to you (although at this time of year, the y are typically in excess of 100 degrees). Perhaps you may prefer the summer temps of Moab at 4,000 feet in elevation ... but La Sal (just 25 miles to the southeast and at 7,000 feet in elevation), knocks 10 to 15 degrees off the highs in Moab (of course the winters are typically colder in La Sal as well ... and you will see some of the white stuff from time to time ... although not near as bad as in Colorado ... and La Sal is just 13 miles from the border).

It's also a little more rural and isolated in La Sal than Moab, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, but we certainly enjoy it. Anyway, if you like, feel free to come on out our way while you and your wife are checking-out the housing possibilities in the Moab area ... you just might like La Sal (and it's just as close to many of the 4x4 trails as you would be in Moab). BTW, Castle Valley is another area you might want to check out ... it's the next valley to the northeast of Moab ... at the foot of the northern section of the La Sal mountains.

A nyway, I'd give you our address, but it wouldn't do you much good, since there aren't many street signs in La Sal. But here's our phone number ... (435) 686-2541. No pressure whatsoever ... but again, give us a call and drop by if you like when you're back in the Moab area.

Best of Luck,

Don Curley

[This message was edited by DC on July 09, 2001 at 01:06 AM.]]

[This message was edited by DC on July 09, 2001 at 01:08 AM.]
Old 07-17-2001, 10:33 AM

Don,
We went up La Sal Pass and thru La Sal (I think), at least where it said there was a town on the map! Some mighty pretty country up there!
We are desert people and are afraid of cold!
I will call you. I'm at the Library in Moab now and have your number.........
Ron
Old 07-17-2001, 07:34 PM

Congratulations !

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
Don,
We went up La Sal Pass and thru La Sal (I think), at least where it said there was a town on the map! Some mighty pretty country up there!
We are desert people an d are afraid of cold!
I will call you. I'm at the Library in Moab now and have your number.........
Ron[/quote]

Ron,

Good to hear from you, and based on the other thread ("Anyone Know About TJRON?"), congratulations on your land purchase in Moab. Where did you end up ... somewhere in Spanish Valley?

Anyway, I am not sure if you actually saw the town of La Sal or not from the sound of things. Although it's definitely not big by any stretch, there is a general store, a gas pump, post office, and a small elementary school clustered together. Since you came over La Sal pass (I assume west to east?), perhaps you were closer to "Old La Sal" ... which is comprised of a small lumber mill and assorted houses, and that's about it. Anyway, don't confuse the La Sal pass area for La Sal proper, as the former is closer to 11,000 feet in elevation versus the 7,000 of La Sal where we live. That's a major difference in elevation (particularly in winter time ... I would even be afraid of that cold (and snow fall in that area)!

Well, give us a try on the phone when you get a chance. Unfortunately we are going to be in and out quite a bit over the next week or so ... Colorado River rafting Wednesday (7/18), shopping trip to Cortez, CO Thursday, and a business trip coming up between this Saturday through next Wednesday. By the way, I don't exactly know what happened, but our semi-retirement seems as busy as we used to be! Hopefully we can make contact before too long. And good luck on your upcoming building and what not (we're still having fun with that "project" a couple of years after the fact).

Best Regards,
Don

2000 green Sahara, auto, TeraFlex S3T lift, TeraFlex UCA's & LCA's, TeraFlex front/rear track bars, Edelbrock IAS shocks with TeraFlex rear shock relocators, 4.56 gears, Detroit TrueTrac in D30/Dana TracLok in D44, Advance Adapters SYE, TeraFlex HD rear d riveshaft, 1" Daystar body lift, 1" Metcalf MM's, TeraFlex Belly-Up crossmember, Good Year 33x12.50 MT/R's mounted on Mickey Thompson 15x8 Challenger wheels, Car Sound cat, Flowmaster 50 muffler, and 2.5" exhaust piping. In boxes in the garage
Old 07-17-2001, 07:51 PM

Ron,

Well, I no sooner post the above reply, then I look over like a dummy at my phone machine, and there's your phone message blinking at me. Since it's coming up 10 PM, I'm not going to call tonight (in case you and your wife are early risers). We're going to be gone all day on Wednesday on a river rafting trip my wife got comped on (she is the supervisor up at the visitor's center at Arches National Park for the Canyonlands Natural History Association). Anyway, I'll try calling you sometime on Thursday or Friday on your cell phone.

Sorry I missed your call,
Don