Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Talking Screw Jeepin'!!!

Now that that got your attention, I hooked up with a buddy from Tucson and another from the Tempe/Mesa area and went on once heck of a bike ride. From my place back to my place was 303 miles, the longest ride I have done so far on my Intruder.

I started out at 7:30am and met up with Hanz (drummer in the local band RadioBox) and then met up with my friend Aaron in Florence. On our way we stopped for a few pics.

This is my bike:

and this is Rt. 79:

We passed through Oracle and saw those funky A frame hotel rooms, I have to get back to get a pic and to stay in one just to say I did. From there we went to Winkleman and stopped off at a local park and checked out the Gila River which was flowing pretty good:

Onward from Winkleman we passed through some nice sweeping turns/twisties and some beautful scenery:

We stopped off in Globe for lunch. What a cool little town, so quaint and charming. Though a lot of stores appeard closed. Onward to Superior and the Worlds Smallest Museum:

And then we swung by downtown Superior. I was so astonished by the look. Since the cooper mines died out, so did they town. But today, amoung the boarded up stores, hotels and shops were about 50 people by the time we got there for the All-American Soap Box Derby with the winner going to Akron, OH for the World Championships. We showed up as they were running the last heat for the winner. We got told how the Derby worked and this years winner was a chick!!! Go girl power.

This was from the first heat of the finals, she won the next heat and the 1st place trophy:

From there it was back to FJ where Aaron took off back down 79 and Hans and I took off back to the Phoenix area. One last milestone for the bike happened today, it turned 10,000 miles near the Stapely Rd. Exit on 60:

Of course me being somewhat tired and slightly stupid, forgot to put my kickstand down and it ended up slowly on the ground, with my camera flying into uncoming traffic. Playing frogger, I got the camera back but now it needs to get a loose wire taken care of, or so I hope that is all it is. It will go into the shop on Monday. This was all because I wanted to get a good picture without the reflection. LOL Oh well. Maybe I'll make it a tradition to lay it on its side every 10k. hehe

Now if anyone knows how to change a Streets and Trip .htm map to .jpeg, let me know. I have the whole route mapped out and wanted to post it.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Lastly, my favorite pics of the day:

Hans on an old piece of machinery:

Pretty cactus:

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:44 PM

Hah! You dingleberry! Those so called "A-framed shaped hotel rooms" are not hotel rooms. That's the Biosphere! Hehehe.....

Do a google search on the Biosphere. It was an incredible experiment and I was lucky enough to visit it during that time.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 05-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
Hah! You dingleberry! Those so called "A-framed shaped hotel rooms" are not hotel rooms. That's the Biosphere! Hehehe.....

Do a google search on the Biosphere. It was an incredible experiment and I was lucky enough to visit it during that time.
Was not jerky, we passed the road leading to the Biosphere about 2 miles or so from there. LOL

I was wondering how far it was from PHX, now I know and you can still visit it. But I'm sure it would have been a lot better when the experiments were going on. Still something I'd like to see, just to say I did.

BTW, http://www.worldssmallestmuseum.com/ is the link to the museum above.

Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 PM

Depending on direction; you will see the Biosphere before the road. It's a pretty good drive down to it from the main highway.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 05-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Arizona Chick

We came up from the South so I didn't see any of it unfortunately. Not for lack of trying and nearly running into a cactus. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right spot.

Gotta remember, "look where you want to go and you will go there."

Old 05-14-2005, 11:13 PM

Going from Winkleman to Globe, Superior, and making the loop back down through Kearny used to be one of my favorite bike trips. Not a lot of traffic, some fun curves, and great scenery.

Thanks for making me miss my bike even more - I saw one just like it last week (maybe even my old one) and that started things off.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Arizona Chick

LOL, sorry Dan. That was another choice to do but we opted for the longer route.

You didn't happen to be out in the FJ area were you? I had passed by a large group off Jeepers staging at the pull off and I honked and waved, got a few waves back too. This was right around 9am.

Anyway, here's a link to the route map from today:

http://tinypic.com/53lrme

Old 05-14-2005, 11:40 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by DanB98TJ
Going from Winkleman to Globe, Superior, and making the loop back down through Kearny used to be one of my favorite bike trips.
ever since seeing the movie U-Turn I've wanted to take a trip to superior. maybe get a doctor pepper and check out apache leap.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 AM

Jamie - I wasn't up around FJ yesterday, but we will be today. Fred and I are going to head up there and get some wheeling in - I haven't been out in way too long....

Haven't seen U-Turn - didn't realize Superior was so well known.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-15-2005, 07:30 AM

Yup, screw jeepn'
Can still smell the grape scented alcohol from last night.
Can still feel the thunder in my chest
Winged sprints, modifieds....
Ahhhhhh, life is good.
I think that I'm turning into a "redneck".
I have this urge to go out and buy a couple of those oil burning candles and burn methanol in 'em in the house

I had motorcycles from the time that I was 16 years old until I moved to Miami, after high school.
I still get the urge at times.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i