Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM

Question Cracked exhaust manifold

Hello
I recently purchased a 1998 4.0 liter Cherokee. The exhaust manifold is cracked. From what I hear, this is pretty common. I've talked to 3 guys from 3 different shops. First guy says I need a brand new part because a used or welded piece will crack in no time...Cost(parts and labor): $500. Second guy says he can weld the one that's on there and that this will work just as well or better than having a new one...Cost: $250. Third guy says I should just put a used one in and that he's never had problems doing just that...Cost: $325.
Of course, I'd rather spend less, but I also want the repairs to last. I don't know much about cars and would greatly appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Dave
Old 06-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Welded cracked headers on the 4.0L engine don't hold up, it just cracks again right next to the weld. Lots of positive reports on replacement headers for that engine on eBay for not much $$$. Look for the kind that have flexible steel accordian-like bellows on both sides which flex instead of cracking. By the way, for Internet searching purposes, the 4.0L comes with an exhaust header from the factory, not a manifold. A header is made up of individual tubes, a manifold is cast in one piece.