Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 09-16-2002, 03:58 PM

Anza trip

We got off to a late start at the trail head. Seems Duke69 hightailed it from Escondidio and burned a little more go go juice than he figured.

It was cool to catch up with Jason in the mean time, Jason and I hadn't wheeled together in about a year. Between us, there were 10 new tires, 2 new lifts, 3 new lockers, new rock rails, and a few stories to tell about the inbetween days. Time is what happens when you're busy making plans (What song is that?)..

So off we go, down through Jeep squeeze, easy money no damage. Hard top rock almost got it's self an XJ window. I'd say, about 1 inch away.

We got to Heart Attack Hill, and Jason took a look at it, and me and with a little reservation said "yeah, sure". But going down isn't all that scarry. The XJ did a little tire lift coming off the edge, there should be some coool pictures..

We had lunch at split rock (kind of an instituion to have lunch there)... sitting in the shade, enjoying a cool breeze, and the kind of silence only the open desert can provide.

Through the wash, we finally get to Sandstone canyon. It's a cool entrance, about a jeep wide and 100 feet high. near the end, there are plent of areas to play. Decent rockcrawling, I'd say on order of Deep creek at big bear.

Some minor body damage (XJ), and a bent body mount (ME).
We were off trail around 4, and I was in Julian picking up apple pie by 5.

And off to Sandstone canyon!
Old 09-16-2002, 04:22 PM

Hey William, watch this........

Is what I said when we pulled up to one section in Sandstone Canyon that had two rather large boulders which looked just wide enough to fit through. Well, William drove up and over one the rock. 35's uh. Some day.
William said "Don't let the looks fool you. It's really not that wide." I said my YJ and 10.5 tires should be a little more narrow than yours. Well, my Jeep is not a YJ anymore, it's a Wide J."
Had a great time. Loved the canyon. I don't ever think I've seen that section of Southern CA. I may have to spend a couple of days in Anza exploring. Beautiful area.
Had dreams last night of Sand People peering over the canyon walls and all the other Star Wars people.
Thanks for letting me tag along.
Jason
Old 09-16-2002, 06:02 PM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
Anza Pics!!

Indeed, it was a great time!! I have some pictures, lets hope they work.

William going through "Jeep Squeeze"

Me through the Squeeze

Jason through the Squeeze

Jason down "Heart Attack Hill"

William down the Hill

Me down the Hill

Taking a break from the sun

I hope all these work, if not does anyone want to host them?
Take Care,
Chris
AIM: Dukes69
Old 09-19-2002, 11:47 AM

Pics worked fine Chris. Looks like it was a fun run.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:48 PM

That last photo of Jason's XJ going down HAH with its a$$ end up in the air is the first photo I've ever seen that almost does justice to just how steep Heart Attack Hill is, especially that first drop over the edge! Jason's XJ was a little worse for wear from that trip when he got back.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:57 PM
I like jesus christ

That was me Jerry . . . Chris . It looks pretty bad, doesnt it. There is definatly a "Pucker Facter" associated with that hill.
Take Care,
Chris
Old 09-19-2002, 04:44 PM

I was meen to Jason!

I made him go first, and he had no idea exactly what the line was (strait down, hold on..)..

But Jason showed little fear, and not much doubt.. and down he went, no drama.

Chris wins the Acrobatic Jeeper award of the day!! He took some hard lines too.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukes69
That was me Jerry . . . Chris . It looks pretty bad, doesnt it. There is definatly a "Pucker Facter" associated with that hill.
Take Care,
Chris
Oh crap that was my geezerdliness creeping in heheh... of course I meant to say Chris! By the way Chris, has anyone ever told you that you have BIG hands? When we shook hands, my hand suddenly felt like the size of a five year old's!
Old 09-19-2002, 06:47 PM
I like jesus christ

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford

Oh crap that was my geezerdliness creeping in heheh... of course I meant to say Chris! By the way Chris, has anyone ever told you that you have BIG hands? When we shook hands, my hand suddenly felt like the size of a five year old's!
Actually . . . The ladies quiver when they see my hands . I've never really thought about it . . . I guess I do. Just work with my hands alot, wrenching and what not.
Take care
Chris