Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-29-2004, 09:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
line locks and twin sticks

Working towards putting my junk back together, and make it wheel again.

Once the front WJ conversion is done I'm taking the Jeep over to Van's for some booster and master cylinder stuff. Leaning toward retrofitting in the TJ dual diaphragm stuff, and started to think (this is where it gets dangerous).

If I were to set up a line lock on the Jeep that would allow me to completely disable the front axle, I could use the twin stick in front low range, and modulate the rear brakes for even better turning capability.
I've been told that the electric ones aren't good for this since you can still add holding pressure to them once they're active by pressing on the pedal. So that leaves a mechanical hyrdaulic ball valve that would do the job.

The twin stick alone will let me do a much better job of these types of turns by inself, this is just like the icing on the cake. So does this seem like a good idea, or is there a better way to go about skinning this horse?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Re: line locks and twin sticks

Quote:
Originally posted by John
Working towards putting my junk back together, and make it wheel again.

Once the front WJ conversion is done I'm taking the Jeep over to Van's for some booster and master cylinder stuff. Leaning toward retrofitting in the TJ dual diaphragm stuff, and started to think (this is where it gets dangerous).

If I were to set up a line lock on the Jeep that would allow me to completely disable the front axle, I could use the twin stick in front low range, and modulate the rear brakes for even better turning capability.
I've been told that the electric ones aren't good for this since you can still add holding pressure to them once they're active by pressing on the pedal. So that leaves a mechanical hyrdaulic ball valve that would do the job.

The twin stick alone will let me do a much better job of these types of turns by inself, this is just like the icing on the cake. So does this seem like a good idea, or is there a better way to go about skinning this horse?
You'd be better served putting in cutting brakes to the rear.

Caution on the good brakes and cutting turns. You can develop enough braking to snap front axles.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
I have a lack of space for cutting brakes handles. I still wheel with 3 people in the Jeep at all times, and DD this thing too.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
I was at the Neuroc comp Saturday and Sunday at Paragon, PA, and most of them had twin stick'ed cases. Locked up the rear, put it in FWD, nailed the throttle and turned em around almost on a time. Granted, most were on 60's, rockwells, or portals.