Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-29-2005, 10:01 PM

Monster Box - Final Sanity Check

Got a call from Stak 4x4 sales that indicated they are ready to ship the 3-speed Monster Box transfer case replacements for the NP-231. This Monster Box still strikes me as a great transfer case concept with the 1:1, 3.05:1, and 5.44:1 gearing. I have also not heard anything negative about the design or its operation.

Before I plunk down the $2800, does anyone have any pertinent info that might cause me to rethink getting this unit?

Also, the NP-231 replacement Monster Box requires a 23 spline output from the tranny. I have the older version 3-speed automatic tranny in my 2000 TJ. Can anyone tell me an easy way to find out if my auto tranny has a 23 spline output?

Thanks,
Don
Old 07-30-2005, 01:07 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
I thought I read that that tc weighed in at around 140 lbs. The atlas is 90 or 100 and it's a pig. I wouldn't want that much extra weight. my $.02.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:00 AM

With that much weight low in the frame I would think that it would help your COG. I think the added benefit of having the extra gear is more important than the weight.
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's
Old 07-30-2005, 05:46 AM

The only thing I would check into would be the new Atlas 4 speed transfercase.

It will be ready in about a month supposedly.

supposed to be under 3K also, I guess they felt the heat from STAX
Old 07-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by papromike
The only thing I would check into would be the new Atlas 4 speed transfercase.

It will be ready in about a month supposedly.

supposed to be under 3K also, I guess they felt the heat from STAX

Knowing Advanced, and you being a bettin' man and all, would you like to place a small wager that no mere mortal can get their hands on the new case until next year?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:34 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an enormous backlog. Last year we placed the order for a normal Atlas and still waited over 2 months for it. A whole new 4 spd t-case, I would bet at least a year, if not more.
Atlas 4.3
39.5 Irok's
Old 07-30-2005, 12:11 PM

Advance does not even have a working prototype yet. Sales guys at AA told me december, but that seems a bit optimistic to me.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:20 PM

Brian - if you were concerned about weight, you should have done the autobox instead of the Atlas

Personally Don, IMO if you can get your hands on a Stak, you should.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Knowing Advanced, and you being a bettin' man and all, would you like to place a small wager that no mere mortal can get their hands on the new case until next year?

Well, seeing how long it has taken stax to release theirs, they will both probably be released about the same time my Jeep gets 45mpg
Old 07-31-2005, 11:29 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Brian - if you were concerned about weight, you should have done the autobox instead of the Atlas

don't start.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:29 AM

Thumbs up My Monster Box Arrived !

Just to come full circle on this thread, I received my STaK 4x4 Monster Box 3-speed transfer case. And it is definitely a monster box weight-wise, however, it's a really pretty piece of equipment with some really nice machining work.

However, since I am tentatively planning on going the route of swapping in a 5.2L Dodge Magnum V8, the installation of the Monster Box will have to wait for that ... so I won't get a chance to try it out for a while.

Don
Old 09-24-2005, 11:42 AM

Don - you should buy another Jeep to wheel until your current round of mods are done in 2020.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2005, 12:04 PM

Wink Now don't give me any ideas ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Don - you should buy another Jeep to wheel until your current round of mods are done in 2020.

Jeff
Jeff,

My wife would no doubt say that you know me all too well. And actually, I once did just that when I was transforming my 1975 Scout II into something of a tank at the time, so we went out and bought an XJ in '89 (which later succeeded our Scout).

But I solemnly promise ... these will be the last mods I will ever get involved in. (Am I a pathological lier or am I just the owner of a Jeep?)

Don

P.S. And anyway, come 2020, if I'm still around, I'll be 70 and will truly be the "Jeep'n Grandpa" (of course by then, I'll have a V12 with anti-gravity traction modules in my TJ) ... and I'll probably be divorced by then as well.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:42 PM

Re: Now don't give me any ideas ...

Quote:
Originally posted by DC
P.S. And anyway, come 2020, if I'm still around, I'll be 70 and will truly be the "Jeep'n Grandpa" (of course by then, I'll have a V12 with anti-gravity traction modules in my TJ) ... and I'll probably be divorced by then as well.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 PM

DC, Or anyone with the stak 3 speed

I have been in the market for a replacement box and have been steering towards the Stak 3 speed. I was curious what your experiences with it has been so far.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjsupe
DC, Or anyone with the stak 3 speed

I have been in the market for a replacement box and have been steering towards the Stak 3 speed. I was curious what your experiences with it has been so far.

Thanks.
Supe,

While I received my Monster Box last September, I then made the decision to swap in a Dodge 5.2L Magnum engine, so I wanted to wait and have the 3-speed go in at that time. Unfortunately, the swap job got delayed by another shop, and I ended up going with Rob Hall at Atomic 4x4 (and my TJ is currently at his Texas shop for the work). So, in actuality, I will be using the 3 speed for the first time later this month, or the beginning of April. Sorry I couldn't provide you with any real critique of its performance.

Don