Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 PM

The coolest Adventure Vehicle I've ever seen

This is by far the coolest RV I've seen. Great use of space - especially the tri-level affect. Typical European coolness.

AND - there isn't a Garbage truck that size that couldn't tow a Jeep!

Perhaps this is old news - but new to me.

Jeff

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560899798cMoTzx

Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Those trucks are awsome and they are not garbage trucks by any means. Unicat in Europe (http://www.unicat.net/) has been building such monsters for years. Some of them are race prepped and take part in the Dakar Rallye, imagine one of those hauling arse at 100 mph across the desert

Anyway, this particular one is a MAN TGA 6x6, the engine performance is 353 kW/480 hp, and it has a ZF 12-speed tip-matic transmission. The GVWR is 43,860 lbs and it sold for around 840,000 Euros... Chump change Here are some more pics:

How cool to have your KTM on the back

When you get to your favorite spot, just raise the camper

Looking back toward the Living Room (notice the expresso machine)

They started to branch off here in the US and they have their website www.unicatamericas.com. They are using the International platform but it doesn't seem to be as popular as the cab forward truck (better visibility) the Europeans are using.

As I posted in the other thread, another cool one is www.maximog.com Built by Unicat.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Damn - now that is a beard....

Cool site Lawrence - the thing has a central vacuum sytem and teak counters - it's nicer then my stupid house!!!

Jeff
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
Damn - now that is a beard....

Cool site Lawrence - the thing has a central vacuum sytem and teak counters - it's nicer then my stupid house!!!

Jeff
I know, plus dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc... and it costs way more than our stupid houses. There is one currently for sale in Europe which the interior is all teak, pretty cool but "price upon request"
Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

While growing up I always saw them around (so maybe I am biased) but some cool expedition vehicles, and affordable ones I must add, are Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer. This one pictured is a 712K turned into a camper.

Here is another one (710M) on the rocks

You can find 710s in troop transport (canvas) or communications (hard box) configuration, and 712 in the same configurations pretty easily. There are other variants such as ambulance, but they are harder to find. The 710s are 4x4 and the 712s are 6x6, they are very reliable and they will go anywhere. The only drawback is that they are fairly noisy (not much insulation) and their top speed is about 50-60 mph. However, they can easily tow a TJ on a trailer, so who cares about going fast. I have thought about getting one, but I have no room to store it and I don't need another money pit.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 PM

I spent a decent amount of time riding shotgun in a pinzgauer out in TDS a few years back.

It's a bit disconcerting to ride in front of the front wheels. Either you're getting slammed down like a really fat kid just got off the other side of the see-saw, or your getting bounced up like he just sat down really quickly.

On top of that, it alwas feels like the ass end is about to cartwheel over you on steep downhills.

The thing is pretty impressive, with the amount of weight it can haul and it was actually fairly stable, I just don't think I'd want to wheel one on anything but very flat.

(The thing needs a severe steering upgrade too. It was pretty brutal to try and turn in 4wd in tight spots).
Old 11-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Reggae

If I am not mistaken, certain rules of the Dakar Rally require that vehicles must be (at least to some extent) part of a factory stock series. As such, anybody has a chance to purchase a Dakar vehicle chasse new from the factory; expensive, of-course, and they make very few of them.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Shalom – I agree, riding in a Pinz is quite a different perspective. I wouldn’t want to take it in the rocks either as the lack of flex makes it very easy for the Pinz to get a wheel off the ground. It is just not good for that.

However, I think it would make for a somewhat nice expedition type vehicle. It’ll go just about anywhere, it will tow just about anything, and outfitted the right way, it can give you some creature comforts. It is also very reliable and has outstanding gas mileage. As I said, the downside is that they are fairly slow, they are not that comfortable in stock form, and they are loud since you are sitting on top of the engine. If I didn’t drive my Jeep everywhere I go, I would have considered one of these to tow it. Here are some pics of some modified Pinz:

Sergey – I am not familiar with the latest Dakar rules, but all these trucks started life as factory trucks to a certain extent. You can easily get a MAN, DAF, Tatra, Volvo, etc… and then modify it accordingly. Jan de Rooy is a legend when it comes to the Dakar Rallye in big trucks and he used to run it with a DAF which had two engines, each good enough for 500 hp. I remember watching him on TV hauling through the desert at around 200 km/h, just plain awesome. Nowadays, some of these puppies (including de Rooy's new DAF) run direct injection 12.6L turbo charged in-line 6 developing 800hp, not too shabby either. I can see a WRC car do this easily, but a 10-ton truck

Here are some more pics:

Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 AM

Those are all pretty cool, but a little outside our price range. We're thinking something more along these lines

Old 11-07-2007, 11:17 AM

/\/\/\/\ LOL, my dad had a VW bus for something like 13 years. It wasn't painted as crazy as that one, but it was this really odd, metallic blue/green.

The thing was basically indestructable.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

I think that would be an awesome conversion for your Dodge:

Agreed, these Unicats are way up there in price, so I looked for cheaper alternatives and came across some interesting concepts:

Unimogs are always useful when you take family and friends for an outing

Old 11-07-2007, 05:44 PM

When I did Menefee in my XJ with Robert spotting some guy had a Pinz. It really sucked in the competition and got stuck quickly. To heavy and not enough suspension to compete or rockcrawl, but would be very cool to have a tent on it.

Those are classic pictures.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
When I did Menefee in my XJ with Robert spotting some guy had a Pinz. It really sucked in the competition and got stuck quickly. To heavy and not enough suspension to compete or rockcrawl, but would be very cool to have a tent on it.

Those are classic pictures.

Jeff
The guy who owned the Pinz that I rode around in at TDS, wheeled it with ALL his camping gear in the back.

At night, we pulled into camp, he pulled a couple of boxes out (parts or whatever), dropped them next to the Pinz, rolled the canvas sides down and unfolded his army cot and slept, quite comfortably back in the bed.

I have to admit, a Pinz would make a pretty good expedition vehicle. I just wouldn't want to wheel one really, on anything harder than an easy trail up in Big bear (gold mountain, lets say). It's just too punishing, IMO.