Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-16-2002, 06:23 AM

Blain or others need your expert opinions on tires.

I need new tires I dont feal safe driving it again with a whole set of safty seals used in the 2 rear tires . I have been sold by my experience watching MTR on the trails I run,the type of tire is not up for discussion.

the question is will the setup I have now do better with the 35's or 37's??? can I run the 37's with out starting to rip parts off my Jeep. you all know how drive and that wont change. neither will my axles any time soon. I am leaning twords the 35's to save some stress on parts but if I could get away with 37's that might be nice.

let me know what you think. opinions and experience welcom.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 04-16-2002, 06:40 AM
Reggae

A couple of years ago, 35” tire on a jeep was rare, these days almost everyone got 37 and up. The trails get bigger holes, and now you need bigger tires, if you don’t want to build the highway in front of the jeep every time.

Other than that, you can run over very large rocks with 35” tires as well as 37” tires.

That’s what I think.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 04-16-2002, 05:56 PM

Well I guess it just comes down to weight I think the 37 it is only .5 inches then what I am running now.

any one know what the 37x15 weighs.

Old 04-16-2002, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Scott, there are three jeeps in this world that no one should use as any other example except one of anomally. One would be yours and the other two belong to Garry and Brad. You three do not fit the normal parameters and therefore should not be what others compare to or against to decide on any mod.

Your front axleshafts should have died a miserable death long ago. Brad's HP rear 44 should have suffered the same fate. Garry can and has broken everything there is to break with the exception of the Warn premium hubs and the Tera 60R. According to the experts, the Tera piece is suitable only for a boat anchor and yet his still lives quite happily and functions flawlessly.

All of this rambling is to make a point. I would normally not recommend anyone to run 37's with your set-up. Yet, you get by with stock axleshafts up front. Brad made what he considered a poorly built 44 live forever under his jeep and Garry murdered one repeatedly.

I have what I consider the barest of minimums under my rig to run 37's and it is built considerably stronger than what you have.

I am quite fond of my 37's and don't wish to trade them. I wish I could recommend a great course of action for you, but sure as I do, you will or won't break something. I just don't know.

For normal people, I would say no. But, I would also say that you should have killed many sets of front axleshafts by now. So, what do I know?

Good luck with your choice.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:09 AM

Blaine,

Does the breakage come down to weight, leverage, and wheel spin, causing more leverage?? I know there is a lot more to it then that but that should be the basics of it right??

if I loose weight but increase leverage a little, and definatly reduce spin and slide. Do you think the loss of weight will compensate for the increase in leverage??

I know I have been lucky with my setup, I dont want to cause a lot of stress on parts, I think I have pushed the axles to their limits and been lucky. The future will bring hp 30 and a warn kit but that is 6 months away at least.

The only thing I know is the t-case tranny and engine should hold up to what I do the rest has always been held together by a prayer.