Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-19-2004, 08:47 PM

2 much

....transport and not enough driveway. seriously, I used to commute to work by bus and now need to drive both to get to my new office and for the job itself and the idea of doing so in a 10 mpg suburban isn't sitting to well with me. i'm looking at several options:
1. drive the suburban. its paid for and 10k on a commuter car will buy a lot of gas.
2. kick down the 10k for the commuter car. 25 mpg will keep the gas bill managable.
the problem here becomes what do I do - the idea of managing 4 vehicles is simply mind boggeling. the jeep is going to be re-geared no matter what so I am seriously thinking of selling the burb and my trailer and going for a decent car. am I nuts or am I missing something? I don't have 30k for a new truck.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Your not nuts. Other than driving during work, your story is similar to mine.
We have the following:
'99 Durango: low-mid teens mpg, will drop in single digits in bumper to bumper. Wife doesn't like to commute in it due to mpg. Comes in very handy about once or more per month in moving people/garbage/stuff.

'95 Geo Prism LSi: 27-30mpg. Wife's primary commuter car. Quick like car. Runs like a top; at ~180k miles, has been trouble-free every mile.

'87 VW Cabriolet: 30mpg. Got it for $300 off a former colleague who moved to Ireland. My primary commuter car, except during rainy season due to swiss cheese ragtop.

'76 FJ40: 10mpg. Fun as hell to commute in, especially when the Lockrite unloads in bumper to bumper , but the mpg is a killer- plus not a nice way to use the 40s.

Yeah, 4 cars is kinda much for a two-driver household. However, each car serves a purpose that would be dearly missed.

You needn't dump 10k on a commuter. Get something reliable and used. Something similar to our Geo would run 3-4k in our area.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Reggae

Here is an idea. I am not a tax professional, therefore double check with one, before you implement.

- Purchase a diesel truck that weights over 6,000 lbs.
- Get one of the off-road companies enroll you for product testing and development, so that when you travel to JV and other places, you travel on business
- Make sure at least 50% of the truck use is for business, 100% is better, but commuting does not qualify as business use, running errands for work does

You are going to get about 16 MPG or better, on diesel fuel, which is cheaper than regular gasoline (in many places). You are going to get a nice write off on the business use of the truck (only if you itemize your deductions). Your Suburban is very clean, so you should be able to sell it for some nice money.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:29 PM

I've been thinking about the car situation a lot lately, and I haven't come up with anything useful. There is just no good compromise vehicle that I've seen out there that would be a resonably decent commuter vehicle (for a truck) and still be able to tow every now and again.

The fullsize pick ups and SUVs are just too big, although they can tow and are available with deisel. The slightly smaller SUVs are the right size but top out at around 6000-8000 towing capacity which I think would end up sucking and they get crappy gas miliage on top of that due to only having gas powerd V-8s.

I need something like a Tahoe with a diesel in it. That would be a nice compromise. Although, I understand from the diesel experts that it'd end up being a dog due to size anyway.

The best compromise vehicle out there right now is probably the Avalance 2500, but that's $40K and a gas guzzler.

You're one step ahead of me anyway, Robert, because you have a tow rig and trailer. I just have a commuter vehicle that get's crappy gas miliage (the ZJ).

I'm keeping it until i dies. I've dropped so much $ into it and back out of it, that it's going until it can't go no more. Going out and spending $ to get a new vehicle that gets just a bad gas miliage but could maybe tow every once in awhile, just isn't in the cards for me. Maybe sometime in the future, but I doubt it.

I think what'll probably happen in the next two years or so, is we'll get a mini van, or some such people mover vehicle and I'll end up driving which ever is working better at the time out of our two current vehicles (zj and taurus). After which ever finally dies, I'll probably go out and get a commuter car (since I'm the only one that commutes) or perhaps the compromise commuter/tow rig I wish was out, will finally be available.

All I do know is that with a pretty much all surface street commute, I don't see myself in a full size pick up anytime soon. It just woudln't be a good idea for every day driving.

BTW, you want a nice commuter car. Check out the new Prius. One of my friends got one and loves it. I drove around in it the other day. It is pretty slick. He's getting 45 MPG, real world driving, mixed freeway and city.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Reggae

What we really need to do is pull our moneys together and purchase some land nearby JV. Fence it, put metal buildings, what have you. And then store our jeeps and trailers there.

Unfortunately that wouldn't work due to vandalism and theft issues. Paying for adequate security would probably be too much.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
I think what'll probably happen in the next two years or so, is we'll get a mini van, or some such people mover vehicle
Never in a million years would I have even considered a minivan ... until now. With 3 little ones, the Expedition just doesn't work as well as I'd like and it is just a little bit big for my wife to drive around.

Anyway, getting an econobox commuter car was the best thing I did and wish I had done it a lot sooner. With my natural gas costing only $1.46 and getting 34 mpg (about the equivalent of 50 mpg at $2.15 for gasoline), my fuel costs have dropped dramatically. On top of that, riding solo in the carpool lane is nice! That said, you may want to consider a hybrid. There is currently a push for new legislation to allow them in the carpool lanes as well. With that, the fuel economy and the tax incentives, it may not be a bad way to go. Good luck finding a Prius, however. I'd look for a Civic Hyrbrid or the new Escape Hybrid if you'd like a small SUV.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett

'87 VW Cabriolet: My primary commuter car, except during rainy season due to swiss cheese ragtop.

You drive a girly car !!!!

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 04-20-2004, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cutch
You drive a girly car !!!!
I thought the same thing.....

I thought for sure it was her car.

I bet it's white too.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 04-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
and my FJ's "baby blue"! :-P
Hey, it cost $300, the wife loves it, and it gets 30mpg!

Plus, it's got some dope wheels!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Hey, it cost $300, the wife loves it, and it gets 30mpg!

Plus, it's got some dope wheels!
Ya know, those might work with a little fender trimmin'
Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
[B]What we really need to do is pull our moneys together and purchase some land nearby JV. Fence it, put metal buildings, what have you. And then store our jeeps and trailers there.

]

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 AM

Honda Civic Hybrid, or a Toyota Prius..

Major rebates back from the state and federal, after all of the rebates, you only have about $6k out of pocket on those things.

51mpg...
Old 04-20-2004, 07:54 AM

Robert,

Personally I think you'll be unhappy if you lose your tow rig. It will definately alter your Jeeping hobby.

One solution is to find a super cheap older car or better yet a little Toyota pickup. Something that costs a couple thousand with a four banger and a stick so you get good mileage without a lot of cash outlay.

If you are going new - that Scion wagon thing is the cats a$$ IMO - I sat in one the other day at the Toyota dealership and it is just so cool. Large enough for five people, you can haul your drums in it, only costs $15K sticker with an auto, and gets 30/34 MPG!!! Plus, I think they look too cool.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2004, 08:21 AM

Heh, looks like I am not the only one in this predicament. So much for cheap Iraqi gas eh

Here is my issue, I would like to keep my tow rig but that is simply impossible if I want to add anoter vehicle into the mix. I have neither the room, the time nor the cash flow as the tow rig would simply become another toy like the Jeep that already just sits in my garage.

Yes, getting rid of the tow rig will alter my hobby but I'm not so sure thats a bad thing. I like rock crawling but its hell on my wallet and I am becoming increasingly dis-satisfied with that aspect of the sport. I'd like to not have to work until I'm 70 and that means cutting back in some areas so that I can afford the things I want when I retire at 55.

Suburban and trailer wil net me 4-5 grand which I think would buy me a decent off road camper to haul behind the Jeep. That keeps me off the dirt when camping and lets me use the Jeep as more of an adventure vehicle - I want to do more travelling/exploring anyways.

Folks who are talking about the low cost of hybrids are talking my language - with the tax incentive and great economy, that is a hard option to miss. I figure 10k gets me in and I can manage that payment without having to go into my savings.

I guess maybe I wasn't nuts or missing something - alot of you all seem to be in the same situation.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates

Yes, getting rid of the tow rig will alter my hobby but I'm not so sure thats a bad thing. I like rock crawling but its hell on my wallet and I am becoming increasingly dis-satisfied with that aspect of the sport.
So with this new course you'll be taking with the Jeep what will you regear the axles to? 4.10? Or gear it deeper and look for an O/D trans to swap in later?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:06 AM

4:56's and ARB's front and rear and that will happen no matter which way I go. My air tank, QA2 and ARB air switch will be going bye bye in place of a ARB compressor and a CO2 tank.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:25 AM

The prius is very had to get ahold of if you are looking for the fancy schmancy one with all the options, fancy stereo, and the navagation system. That one runs about $26K and is being coopted by all the yuppies in L.A., so as a result, you have to wait a long time on a list to get one.

The lesser Prius models, like the one with the basic options package which is keyless entry plus side airbags for $21K are actually easier to get.

I have 2 friends that got the basic prius and both only had to wait a month.

I read somewhere that toyota is shipping the fully loaded prius as 80% of its inventory and the other option packages as 20%, but that almost everyone wants the fully loaded prius.

If you're serious about a prius and you don't want to wait too long, you may want to call around for one with a basic package.

The ford Escape is sounding pretty cool too. AWD and 40+ MPG to boot. Still, I haven't driven in one, so I can't say for sure how well it works. All I know is I was very impressed with the Prius.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:28 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with these issues. I've sunk my self by getting the wife a new car and dumping hers off cheap. But I feel your pain Robert.

My jeep has been broken and idle so long that it almost doesn't feel worth while. What with many people leaving the hobby and wheeling drying up so to speak.. it gets tiring.

Problem is no one would pay much for my jeep, and I've got somewhat a sentimental attachement to it.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:35 AM

I will probably go with the Honda Shalom - I've been watching the Prius enough to know whats happening with it. No way I'm ever buying another Ford unless its a Mustang I might even just go for a standard Civic and not the hybrid - leases are at $179/month for 3 years with $900 down which is attractive if I can negotiate some additional miles.

Don't need or want all that extra fancy crap either - the only thing I really want is an XM system and a/c. If it happens to have power windows, seats and so forth, fine but its not necessary.

William - I don't mind my rig sitting in my garage. Every guy deserves to have a toy or 2 But I just can't afford to have a tow rig sitting around either. Get your rig running and then you will feel better about it.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:36 AM

Quote:
uh...I've seen pictures...it's girly blue
Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Here is an idea. I am not a tax professional, therefore double check with one, before you implement.

- Purchase a diesel truck that weights over 6,000 lbs.
- Get one of the off-road companies enroll you for product testing and development, so that when you travel to JV and other places, you travel on business
- Make sure at least 50% of the truck use is for business, 100% is better, but commuting does not qualify as business use, running errands for work does

You are going to get about 16 MPG or better, on diesel fuel, which is cheaper than regular gasoline (in many places). You are going to get a nice write off on the business use of the truck (only if you itemize your deductions). Your Suburban is very clean, so you should be able to sell it for some nice money.

This reply belongs in the Fool Shed
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:43 AM

Robert, consider a used car. Really.

My wife and I were looking looking for a car forever. We picked up an 03 at a Credit union sale. 3.99% financing. With just at 20k miles (03 version first sold in January) it still had factory warrenty, and it cost 7k less than new.. (for a car that is known for keeping value). The dealer figured that it was a loss price wise because of high milage for the 1 year it was owned. A year old, or two, and you can get something that is cheaper, has a few more options available, and find decent financing. She ended up with a car she'd never considered, at a price that ended up being cheaper than we were planning.

Just an idea.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Re: 2 much

Quote:
....transport and not enough driveway. seriously, I used to commute to work by bus and now need to drive both to get to my new office and for the job itself and the idea of doing so in a 10 mpg suburban isn't sitting to well with me. i'm looking at several options:
1. drive the suburban. its paid for and 10k on a commuter car will buy a lot of gas.
2. kick down the 10k for the commuter car. 25 mpg will keep the gas bill managable.
the problem here becomes what do I do - the idea of managing 4 vehicles is simply mind boggeling. the jeep is going to be re-geared no matter what so I am seriously thinking of selling the burb and my trailer and going for a decent car. am I nuts or am I missing something? I don't have 30k for a new truck.

Robert,

how far are you having to commute now?
I guess that would have an effect. I have 2 gas guzzlers for comutting, but even with gas prices it's still cheaper than a car payment.

My wife on the other hand got a cheapie company car, since she commutes 120 plus miles a day. Gas added up quick in the Jeep then, so the cheapie car is good
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 04-20-2004, 10:50 AM

I have an aquaintance who is a registered dealer so I will be able to get the best deal on whatever I decide, if I decide to buy. He is the same person that I got Kendra's XJ through - $15k for a 2000 Sport with 32k on the clock, new tires, new brakes and an extended warranty is not a bad deal and I think we can repeat it. Also got 1.9 financing over 6 years on it which amounts to almost free financing .

The lease is attractive - but only if I can negotiate the miles. I like the disposable aspect of it even if it costs me a bit more in the long run.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:53 AM

Re: Re: 2 much

Quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver
Robert,

how far are you having to commute now?
I don't drive - I ride the bus and that will go away on May 7th. I will have 19 miles each way just to my new office location and that does not include travel to and from meetings which can and from I have been told do, occur anywhere in Riverside County. Its a big county
Old 04-20-2004, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Here is my issue, I would like to keep my tow rig but that is simply impossible if I want to add anoter vehicle into the mix. I have neither the room, the time nor the cash flow as the tow rig would simply become another toy like the Jeep that already just sits in my garage.
I understand your issue with the tow rig, Robert. My only comment would be to try and get a realistic examination of where you'd like to be in, say, the next 5 years or so (that's easier said than done I realize). If you consider reacquiring a tow rig for whatever reasons, then IMO you should re-consider keeping the Burban. I know what changes occur to the home and lifestyle when kids move out, and it sounds like Kendra is getting close to that age.

I'm not forgetting your comments about planning for retirement, just trying to provide another viewpoint.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth

This reply belongs in the Fool Shed
You should know Don - you are our resident Fool Shed expert
Old 04-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Robert,

I got this off Honda's website:

Special lease rates available on all new 2004 Civic models. FEATURED SPECIAL LEASE: 2004 Civic VP Sedan Automatic (model ES1634W) for $159.00 per month for 36 months with $999.00 capitalized cost reduction; $1,333.00 total due at lease signing (includes first month's payment, security deposit, capitalized cost reduction, excludes tax, license, registration, options and the like). SUBJECT TO LIMITED AVAILABILITY. *The specific featured lease listed is not available to New York residents. New York residents should contact their dealer for New York featured lease.TERMS AND CONDITIONS VARY FOR NEW YORK RESIDENTS. IN ADDITION, AHFC LIMITS LEASING TERMS TO 39 MONTHS OR LESS TO RESIDENTS AND DEALERS IN THE STATE OF RHODE ISLAND.
Offer valid through: 5/3/2004

That's a pretty tough price to beat. Due to Honda's strong resale value, they are cheap to lease. I myself am strongly considering the Odyessey at $259/month for 24 months. Comparing the cap cost to the residual, this thing depreciates only about $2600 per year. Even with taxes, I'll be paying about the same or less for my Expedition and have a 5 year newer car. One of the strongest selling points is being able to dump it at the end of the lease and not dealing with a trade-in.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:08 AM

I hear you on the civic Robert. The regular one is a pretty nice commuter car. I have a good friend with one and he has a 60 mile commute total every day and has no complaints. It gets great gas miliage for a regular car as well.

I was also looking at civics and to be honest, the ford focus hatchback as possible commuter cars for myself. The focus is a fun car to drive, that is for sure.

Anyway, I'm tabling the whole thing until at least the end of next year (assuming our cars are still running well then). I don't think we'll really feel the pressure to carpool, have extra seats, etc. until at least then.

Without another kid on the way, there's no real reason to change. Your situation is going to be different since you are changing jobs.

It's funny though, I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how I can commute and swing a sometimes tow rig and you're wracking your brain on how to commute and get rid of your tow rig.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Reggae

Robert,

The company should reimburse you for travels to and from meetings. If not, you are may deduct them on your taxes. As well as any parking fees, toll fees, ect.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc510.html

Keep track of the odometer readings (before and after the trip) and the purpose of the trip.

It's also a good idea to keep the record of actual costs to operate the vehicle: gas purchases, oil changes, maintenance, etc. If it turns out that the percentage of these costs equal to business use of the vehicle is larger than the standard per mile method, you can use that instead.

About hybrid vehicles. Keep in mind that the tax deduction has been getting smaller and smaller every year, and going to be completely phased out after 2006.

Edit: you may know all that already, I just thought it would be good to mention it here.