Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-08-2004, 03:57 PM

Currie J arm question

What is the bend radius and degree of arc of the Currie adjustable J arms? For degree of arc, straight line of the arm to center of mounting bolt is fine, with the pivot point being the center point used to calculate radius.

I'm brainstorming some new rear lower arms by flipping the J arms over from their usual mounting method and attaching them to the front of the axle. Trying to calculate clearance and those two measurments would help a bunch.

Any thoughts on this? A bend in the arm shouldn't change my suspension geometry, as long as mounting locations are the same as with a straight arm.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:56 PM

longer J arms

Check out this TJ.

He seems to use longer than normal J arms.

long J arms

Joel
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
So you want to shorten the arms back to being the same as stock, thereby losing the benefit (longer radius) of the J-arms? Or are you planning on pushing the frame mount farther forward, and just want to run the arms upside down to benefit from higher clearance arms?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
So you want to shorten the arms back to being the same as stock, thereby losing the benefit (longer radius) of the J-arms? Or are you planning on pushing the frame mount farther forward, and just want to run the arms upside down to benefit from higher clearance arms?
Planning to run a J arm upside down, attached to the front of the rear axle, and lengthened to attach to my RE belly skid. I was concerned the arms, not knowing the amount of bend they have, might hit something on the "upstroke" of suspension travel.

Blaine and I talked the other night, and we kicked a couple ideas around including reinforcing my RE arms by sectioning them, sliding some tube (or solid rod) inside, welding them back up, then getting them bent near the axle end into a custom J at whatever radius is needed to make it fit.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
Planning to run a J arm upside down, attached to the front of the rear axle, and lengthened to attach to my RE belly skid. I was concerned the arms, not knowing the amount of bend they have, might hit something on the "upstroke" of suspension travel.

Blaine and I talked the other night, and we kicked a couple ideas around including reinforcing my RE arms by sectioning them, sliding some tube (or solid rod) inside, welding them back up, then getting them bent near the axle end into a custom J at whatever radius is needed to make it fit.
If I understand you correctly, you're going to take a J-Arm, and mount it "upside down", that us such that the bend goes upward, then fasten it to the "wrong" side of the axle, that is the front side instead of the rear side of the axle.
Is this correct ?
If so, what benefit(s) are you proposing this will offer over just a straight arm fastened to the front of the rear axle ?

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 11-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthTJ
If I understand you correctly, you're going to take a J-Arm, and mount it "upside down", that us such that the bend goes upward, then fasten it to the "wrong" side of the axle, that is the front side instead of the rear side of the axle.
Is this correct ?
If so, what benefit(s) are you proposing this will offer over just a straight arm fastened to the front of the rear axle ?

Fred
RE makes the skid for the LA kit hang down lower than is prudent for JV style trails. On the Rubicon kit, it's almost as low as the stock skid. The long arms are a pita out there. The hope is to raise the mount points and maintain the original geometry and build in some clearance at the axle end simultaneously.

The standard configured J-arms work best if kept shorter than a conventional long arm. Otherwise you defeat the purpose and wind up with a lower physical arm angle even though the effective angle is improved. Flipping them will help, my only concern is gravity pulling the arm over to one side or the other.