Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-11-2004, 07:29 AM
dennisuello

help me build a Jeep

bottom line: i want a TJ with 35s, that can handle Rubicon-type trails.

My budget is about $16k. A 97-98 TJ will run me anywhere between $7k and $9k, so that leaves 7-9k for upgrades. I wanna do it right from the beginning. I also have some extra parts from previous project:
NVG241OR 4:1 t-case
Currie rear TJ bumper with tire carrier
Warn XD9000i winch
Odyssey 1200 battery
I also have a Dana 60 front HP housing that I want to eventually make into a rear axle.

I want to get Nth Degree Tummy Tucker skid, unless RE long-arm is strongly recommended. But I should be able to get by with 4" SA lift and 1" BL to clear 35s, right?

This is all I have planned for now. Tell me how to spend my money.

BTW, this is my 200th post. can I have a cookie?
Old 11-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Reggae

A TJ with 31s can handle Rubicon-type trails.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:11 AM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
A TJ with 31s can handle Rubicon-type trails.
yes, i know, they also take stock TJs and YJs through Rubicon, but is it fun and easy? how about Hammers?

i just need some ideas for rocker guards, 1/4 panel guards, front bumper and winch mount, lift components.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Reggae

Some complain that Hammer trails are not fun and not challenging anymore. That's usually always someone with 37" or larger tires though.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
I can relate to your point of view, as I built my Jeep up rather quickly, having gotten to the point of my build that I'm at in just over a year. A lot of people can see it as jumping in too fast and building a Jeep before learning how to drive it stock, but I hate trying to build things in stages where I have to redo it when I decide I want something stronger/better/different. As you say, trying to go through a good trail with minimal modifications can be no fun. With my lockers and lift and atlas and such I can now go over most obstacles and have fun choosing my lines, whereas before I was stressing the whole time trying to find lines I could make just to get through the trail, worrying about breaking the whole time. Unfortunately, I've got a YJ and have no idea what makes a good TJ.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:07 PM
dennisuello

i've had a YJ on 33s and XJ on 33s, and TJs are new to me, but i've wheeled nearly stock rigs and build rigs, so know what i want to get to, it's just i want to buy the right parts from the beginning.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Reggae

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by chef
I can relate to your point of view, as I built my Jeep up rather quickly, having gotten to the point of my build that I'm at in just over a year. A lot of people can see it as jumping in too fast and building a Jeep before learning how to drive it stock, but I hate trying to build things in stages where I have to redo it when I decide I want something stronger/better/different. As you say, trying to go through a good trail with minimal modifications can be no fun. With my lockers and lift and atlas and such I can now go over most obstacles and have fun choosing my lines, whereas before I was stressing the whole time trying to find lines I could make just to get through the trail, worrying about breaking the whole time. Unfortunately, I've got a YJ and have no idea what makes a good TJ.
Yes, a lot of people are mistaken in that way. What's the point of learning how to drive a stock jeep, if you plan on lifting it? It's going to be a completely different vehicle after the lift.

In my opinion, if you have a plan to get somewhere in the jeep build up, it's better to just do it, with the least amount of intermediate steps possible.

Basically, I agree with everything what you said.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
right, i pretty much just longwindedly agreed is all i've got friends who enjoy their long arm lifts, yet this group seems to abhor them. as usual, will depend on your terrain. one friend with an RE long arm just did the rubicon in august and did very well. it appears they the arms are frequenly getting hungup on big rocks though (ala the hammers). i think this group is running 4" lifts with a 1" body lift, short arms, and 35/37" tires. majority of the tj guys run a swapped rear axle with the warn conversion in the front. most everyone gets a chubby over the hp 9 as well, f/r. quite a bit over my budget and probably yours too though.

i wouldn't necessarily run the 60 with 35's due to the increase in pumpkin size. price out your lift and other accessories such as body armor and tires and see what you've got left for axle upgrades, and then adjust the formet as required. shop the vendors here and on pirate and other forums as there are substantial price savings to be had. so again, i've really got very little to add to the conversation :P
Old 11-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
I have a 02 TJ on 33" MT/r's, currently open with 3:73's... 3 1/2" total lift. Adjustable LCA's, D30 and35's. I run Sun rocker protection, an upgraded stock gas tank skid, and a Kilby Steering box skid.

Rubicon is a BLAST, there are still some challenges left on it Its not near as challenging as last year, due to a bit more experience on my part, and perhaps some trail changes. I dont run Little Sluice or Soupcan... It sounds to me that you want something a bit more challenging then Rubicon.

That said, My plans include 4" suspension, Dana 30/44 with ARB's and 4:56's. I already have some of this ready for me to do. I need a new gas tank skid, Im the process of putting in a new oil pan (Ill get a oil pan skid at the time). I have Rock-ItMan front and rear bumpers with a swingout. I hope to add a fullcage as well.

I still think Rubicon will be fun...as well as Moab, perhaps Dusy Ershim in the future. I dont think Ill be running JV anytime soon or at all for that matter. It doesnt take much to run Rubicon and Moab...you wont run any of the optional stuff...like Little Sluice, Soup Can, Moab's Pritchett, Behind the Rocks, Helldorado.

Its easy to overbuild your Jeep and take the fun out some of the trails. Of course, once you start doing the harder stuff, it becomes VERY addictive...and thats all you want to do.

HTH...

Tam
Old 11-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Reggae

Re: help me build a Jeep

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
I should be able to get by with 4" SA lift and 1" BL to clear 35s, right?
This is correct.

The classic cookie cutter TJ: 4 or 4.5 inches suspension lift, one inch body lift, motor mount lift (1 inch, plus maybe some spacers to get it as high as it will go ? improves the driveline angle, and razes the oil pan higher away from the rocks)

Belly up ? good plan. I have experience with Terra and Currie. Terra is not strong enough. Currie is good.

Long arms ? nah, I wouldn't do them; I've seen too many long armed people get the arms into the rocks. Full Traption lift kit seems to be everyone's favorite these days, unless I am not on the ball.

I would get rid of the tire carrier bumper, and replace it with the same bumper only without the heavy tire carrier. Front bumper ? Currie shortly with radiator loop seems to be the best one out there.

Don't forget the front Antirock. Those are virtually mandatory for 6-cylinder TJs. Do not get one for a 4-cylinder TJ.

Rear corner protection ? tough one. I have the Avalanche corners that go all the way to the door; they are good, but too heavy. Maybe the same design but out of aluminum would be just right.

Rocker panel protection ? Sun Performance style (round, low profile) is the way to go.

Steering box protection ? something simple, like Currie ? no need for a wrap around design, just something to protect from direct hits.

Edit: $16k? I laugh at you! You will need a Costco size package of "Tums" after you add up the costs when the jeep is finished.

Consider buying a rock buggy on Ebay instead. They often have them for cheap.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:32 PM

I think I put an honest $10K in my TJ and I got some amazing deals - it was built for the Hammers. I also already had my 35 tires and MT/Champion beadlock wheels and my winch.

My TJ is just as Sergey described.

Currie 4"
1.25 body
Currie belly up
Raised skid plate
Currie rocker guards with the tube (I like the tube and the extra protection the Currie offers underneath the tub).
Currie bumpers F-R
Currie steering box skid
Currie HD tie rod
Currie Antirock
Winch with synthetic rope
TJ D44 ARB 4.56
XJ HPD30 ARB 4.56 Warn small hub, CTM, Warn axles

Hammer ready with tough components. Frankly I wouldn't change a single thing on my TJ (except the brakes) which I'm doing next. My TJ takes me everywhere I feel comfortable playing, and some places I don't.

Now - if I had an extra $10K going in I would have done Currie HP 9" front and rear with 1 Ton u-joints and be essentially bullet proof with 35" tires.

I would also mention that most of us who wheel together on the hammers have over $1K in spare parts - hubs, axles, ujoints, driveshafts, tools, tie rods, etc. This of course isn't necessary if you wheel with friends that have these parts, but eventually you'll break something and have ot pay someone back for the parts.

I will also add that many of us have parts that we aren't using anymore, or have collected and could probably help you get your Jeep together. I have a set of Warn rocker guards I want out of my side yard for example and some Rancho 9000 front shocks for a 4" lift that are new.

Jeff