Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-25-2003, 01:22 PM

Is wider really better ?

Hi all,
So heres the deal. As you can see from my sig, I have an 87yj that is getting a new everything.
Along with a spring-over, I was keeping the hp30 up front and going with an Exploder 8.8 in back.
Well, I had a pair of axles fall in my lap yesterday (not as painful as one would think, and yet quite satisfying).
They are "Wide-Track" axles from a jeep j10 (d44f, m20r)

My first thought was to put them under my Grand Wagoneer and take the Wagons f/r d44's and put them under the yj. Now I'm thinking about putting the widetrack axles under the yj. Heres some specs...

Stock yj axles are 60" wide (or so, right?). Stock Wagoneer NT axles are about 60" front and 58.5" rear...
The "WideTrack" axles are about 65" front and 64" rear. I will be running 35's on a 15x8 wheel with 3.75 backspace.

Im figuring that the extra width up front would improve my turning radius by getting the tires away from the springs and the extra width in back would give me room to get the shocks outside the framerails.

I will be doing the Hammers on occasion, but not looking to build just for that. I will also be using this for multi day trails like Dusy and Rubicon, I know that the Dusy has some width issues...

Will I be too wide, or could this work...

kris.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:42 PM

My take is that you either want to be full width wide or close to stock narrow. In the middle would suck. Its all personal taste in the end though. FWIW, mine is close to stock narrow in the rear and marginally wider up front due to the hub conversion and I'm pleased with it - especially for some of the tight crap up at JV which I can sneek through.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:26 AM

I sure hope I didn't goof-up, going 65" WMS to WMS on my new F8.8 build-up (http://www.code4x4.com/projects/axle_88/axle_88.html

I figure that the stability will off-set the other issue of not being able to squeze through and have to drive over. If I don't like the width, I can always install wheels with more back-space.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:44 AM

I think if you are not dodging cones in competition, you can modify moast lines where the width would be a problem. It should keep your body off stuff a lot more and handle sidehills better.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:46 AM

BTW Chris, let us know how your rig handles with a much wider rear than from. It is supposed to turn better with the rear narrower, I think. Maybe it tracks better with the front wider? I am going to order a 62" wide rear. With a hub conversion, it will be the same as stock (60.5" wide stock).

-Bart
Old 07-26-2003, 10:05 AM

Usually you want the front a bit wider than the rear for better tracking through turns and on the pavement stuff.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 07-26-2003, 04:28 PM

Here's Dusy...

Does that look like a spare 5 inches to you?
Old 07-26-2003, 06:03 PM

Re: Here's Dusy...

Quote:
Originally posted by Handlebars
Does that look like a spare 5 inches to you?
Yes
Old 07-26-2003, 06:23 PM

I'm at 65" and would never go back. The entire jeep feels so much more stable. When I go with my custom front end I'm doing to do it at 67".
Old 07-27-2003, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bart
BTW Chris, let us know how your rig handles with a much wider rear than from. -Bart
I have front wheel spacer/adapters ordered and plan on having the front the same width as the rear.

BTW, I finally drove it yesterday! (Just a short test-drive) Got my fuel tank in and still have a few minor issues to tidy up, but it lives!!!

I'll try to get some trail pics soon!