Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-10-2005, 09:26 PM

Smile finally got the HP30 under there ...

well, after working on the rig, or better said the HP30, yesterday and today ... I finally got the axle under the front of the rig

Swapped all my current stuff onto it -> knuckles, axles, locker, Warn hubs, Currie steering etc. and pretty much all it needs now is some adjusting on the anti swaybar brackets to clear the steering (with the tierod flip) and get the Currie AR attached to it.

And then hit the trails in Ouray/Montrose in 2 weeks from now and see if I can keep this ring and pinion alive

BTW: I just found out today that my front (upgraded) driveshaft got a bend in it ... dunno where that happened though
Old 07-11-2005, 05:59 AM

Did you have to shorten your front DS to get the axle in?

I am getting ready to do the same with mine -- just prepping the donor axle for the swap. It will be getting my knuckles, shafts, hubs, etc.

I am giving it a fresh set of UCA bushings ball joints before it goes in.

Best regards

John
Old 07-11-2005, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by truckjohn
Did you have to shorten your front DS to get the axle in?

I am getting ready to do the same with mine -- just prepping the donor axle for the swap. It will be getting my knuckles, shafts, hubs, etc.

I am giving it a fresh set of UCA bushings ball joints before it goes in.

Best regards

John
Hello John,

didn't adjust the driveshaft length.
And I also went for new ball joints and UCA bushings (axle end), since the old ones (both on the donor axle and my own axle) are hard/impossible to salvage while doing the knuckle swap.
But let me tell you that it's a real PITA to get them out as well as get them in (torch, hammer and put the new stuff in the freezer)
Old 07-11-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceman
Hello John,

didn't adjust the driveshaft length.
And I also went for new ball joints and UCA bushings (axle end), since the old ones (both on the donor axle and my own axle) are hard/impossible to salvage while doing the knuckle swap.
But let me tell you that it's a real PITA to get them out as well as get them in (torch, hammer and put the new stuff in the freezer)
Ditto on all that. I did use a gear puller with success on the upper arm bushings. The only problem I developed was the upper pass side bushing - the tower for that isn't great the bushing doesnt seat all that well. Hard to explain here, but I'll be replacing that stuff with the Currie kit shortly. As for the ball joints, the right tools make all the difference, and I used my impact wrench to drive them out/in.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:17 AM

I did have to hack the pass side bushing to get it out though, forgot to mention that. Drilled out the rubber to get a hack saw blade through it, then cut it (without cutting into the bracket obviously) and then bent it in to release it.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:34 AM

If you have 4" or more of lift, you won't have to touch the front driveshaft.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 AM

Hmmm...wonder why I had to shorten mine? Maybe my shaft was bigger than normal.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 AM

Gear puller..... DUH... that would work.

I didn't think about using a gear puller.... I was going to go and find a piece 'o 2 1/2" sch. 40 steel pipe -- figured that would work out just fine with a couple bolts and washers.

My HP 30 has cast upper mounts, so I don't think a puller would be any trouble with them. The bushings are in there *good* though. Couldn't budge them with the BFH

I am going to bite the bullet and buy the ball joint/U-joint tool.

I need more tools.

Best regards

John
Old 07-11-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanB98TJ
Hmmm...wonder why I had to shorten mine? Maybe my shaft was bigger than normal.
TMI! TMI!

You run a stick right? I know that driveshaft is physically larger as compared to the auto tranny driveshaft - maybe that has something to do with it in addition to possibly being longer.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:57 PM

Yep, I still have the 5-speed. The shaft is bigger diameter and longer than the auto. Maybe they use a different length slip joint, too.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-11-2005, 02:12 PM

i have the 5pd and 4" PC springs and used my stock DS, and is fine.

i also swapped to a '97 5spd DS, which is a little shorter, but has plenty of slip, and is much smaller in diameter than my stock '98.

i originally got it as a spare, but swapped it in and carry my stock for a spare. it's up out of the way now.