Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-18-2003, 08:23 PM

Smile San Diego to Missouri or bust! Let's go wheeling.

As of this afternoon I start a 4 week vacation and I'm gradually making my way from San Diego, Ca where I live, then going at least as far east as St James, Missouri where my Dad lives. I?m stopping in Pahrump, NV to visit my Mom for a day or so, then head over to the Las Vegas area which is where my sisters live.

My son Rusty & I will make a good portion of this trek together and I plan on hitting the trails along the way wherever good wheelin? takes me. I?m not looking for the real hard stuff that would likely get me in deep trouble. My rig, skills and pocketbook aren?t ready for that. Just some fun places that are scenic with some moderate obstacles thrown in to keep me on my toes. I suspect Johnson Valley would be out of the question, I doubt I?m ready for that. Not that I wouldn?t like to try though.

Not much is written in stone yet, but I have a modest game plan and I?ll adjust it as needed depending on who?d like to meet & greet and possibly do some wheeling. I asked Chris Overacker if he?d like to hit some trails while I?m in CO. Not sure of the specific timeframe just as yet that we'll get together, but he?s fairly open as long as I give him a couple days heads-up.

A few places that are high on my ?must visit? and wheel are: southern Nevada, Arizona, Moab UT, Colorado, Missouri, and wherever else the winds take me & my son Rusty.

So,....are there some recommendations you folks would like to share while I pass through?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:20 PM

you know, attica indiana (badlands) is only about 5.5hrs from MO. according to yahoo maps. then you would get to see what the best of the midwest has to offer too (and see just how lame we have it compared to out west).

greg
Old 06-18-2003, 10:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Joe,
I know its probably out of your way a little, but like McEddie said.. Id do attica.. Ive always wanted to travel out that way to see what kinda slimy mess I could end up wheelin in
Scott
Old 06-19-2003, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mckeddie
you know, attica indiana (badlands) is only about 5.5hrs from MO. according to yahoo maps. then you would get to see what the best of the midwest has to offer too (and see just how lame we have it compared to out west).

greg
"Best of the midwest?" Far from it.

How about,

"All the midwest has to offer." And it's pretty pathetic.

If you're going to head east of Missouri, I'd recommend Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky. It's a lot bigger, with a lot more to offer.

Course you could just suck it up and head to Tellico in Murhpy NC. That place is awesome.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 06-19-2003, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen

"All the midwest has to offer." And it's pretty pathetic.

that's what i was referring too, hence the lame comment compared to the west. kentucky would be better, but also alot further away i think.

greg
Old 06-19-2003, 06:51 AM

I know. I was just backing you up.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 06-19-2003, 07:23 AM

If you are coming that far, do not even think about wasting your time at Attica. That place is a complete circus.

http://rorp.com/home.html

Is a new place opening up soon and is a little ways north of St. Lou. They used to hold a Jeep Jambo in the area.

As you go southeast there is much better stuff... LBL, Natural Bridge, Tellico...
Old 06-19-2003, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The list of possibilities is growing.

I'll likely head into the St Louis area too since my aunt lives there. I'm sure she'll try to get me to go on the Harrahs riverboat while I'm in the area.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:20 PM

Let me know when you will be in Colorado. I'd be glad to run a trail or two.

Mark
Old 06-19-2003, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by karstman
Let me know when you will be in Colorado. I'd be glad to run a trail or two.

Mark
Sounds good! I'm thinking it will be in ~1.5-2 weeks from now. Chris O mentioned that he'd like to show me around a bit. Perhaps I can make a run with you & him at the same time. Holy Cross sounds like a good run to do, and he mentioned several others such as Montrose & 21 Road.

Would you happen to know Boulderbob (Bob Mustard)?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned

Joe,

It's a shame you will not be coming a bit further East and later on the calendar. I was thinking of doing Alabama and Monteagle TN around Aug or Sept. with Tellico, NC in October.

Btw, Bob Mustard, good friend, excellent wheeling partner if you can hook up with him. Holy Cross is a beautiful trail with some decent obstacles. In my opinion Montrose and Independence are the hardest trails in Colorado. You can really mix it up in those areas. Arizona has some of the nastiest I've been on depending on where you go, scenic wise not as beautiful as Colorado. All of these areas have trails for all levels of wheeling.

Here is a tip from someone who has a lot of miles on his back... have a good trip, enjoy yourself, don't hurry to get there, don't hurry while your wheeling.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:51 PM

Jim, yeah, Bob is a friend of mine that I seemed to misplace his #. I wheeled with him, TJRON, shlingdawg, Hanz (ZXBLADE) & a few others a while back in Moab.

I owe Bob a favor since he really hooked me up with some F8.8 parts when I swapped one in. I'd hate to have been in CO & not at least did a meet & greet.

Oh, thanks for the good advice too.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:01 PM
Banned

Joe,

Email me at JJBMail@ADDDDworldoversea.com and I'll give you his personal info. Remove the ADDDD out of the address.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:37 PM

Joe- I'll be in the Telluride area July 4th weekend doing the scenic stuff like Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass and whatever else I have time for. I've never been there before but I picked up Charles Wells' book on the area and plan to wear it out.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:55 AM

Hi Joe,
I"m looking forward to seeing you and I'm game for just about anything. I emailed you e-address at work, but not sure if you will get it, since your about to leave. I'll PM you here the same message I sent you @ work.

Have a safe trip, see Ya soon.
Chris Overacker
Old 06-20-2003, 05:52 AM

I was on a trip with boulderbob last weekend. I didn't really get a chance to chat that much though. Hell of a jeep he's got built for himself

I'll PM you my contact info and we can take it from there.

Have a safe trip!
Mark
Old 06-20-2003, 07:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
My junk is broken but I would meet up with ya in Disney, that shouldn't be too far at all off your path to St. Louis.

(Disney is a 1 day deal BTW and has good camping with a full shop for $7/night and I think full RV is $12. No fee or lincense to wheel in Disney.)

918-857-9018
Collin

Tires, Axles, Lockers, Gears, Suspension, Armor, OBA, Recovery, Communication, Navigation and some misc. other gadgets.
www.BigRedHeep.com
Collin@BigRedHeep.com
---------------
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 Q-drive for daily use, bone stock.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:28 AM

Thanks everybody!

I'm finally headed out the door after lots of packing & all that fun stuff. I've copied the info that was PMed me & put it on disc.

Hope to see as many of you folks as I can soon. If possible, I'll occassionally attempt to log-on here.

Joe
Old 07-02-2003, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
Any updates?

You should be getting broker in Vegas right now.

Tires, Axles, Lockers, Gears, Suspension, Armor, OBA, Recovery, Communication, Navigation and some misc. other gadgets.
www.BigRedHeep.com
Collin@BigRedHeep.com
---------------
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 Q-drive for daily use, bone stock.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:46 PM

I heard from Joe last week and he was heading for Moab. I think he planned on going to Colorado for the 4th.........
Old 07-02-2003, 11:03 PM

Hey Guy's Spent 8 days in Mohab, did most of the fun stuff with exception of Pritchett canyon, couldn't find any body who was game. Left mohab this AM on my way to CO. Stopped by Chris O. place in Rifle, left a note at his home, in hopes to see him soon. I'm in Glenwood Springs camping for the evening. Should meet up with Chris or BoulderBob (Bob M) tomorrow.
It's been great trip so far, looking forword to doing some fun stuff in here CO. Girl Friend Debbie sends.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:14 PM

Hey Joe
big wave from Lake Havasu