Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-26-2004, 06:34 AM
Banned

Where do you stand on the issues

Where do you stand on these?

I always thought that the Jeep community was a very conservative bunch but I see some of you are not. I just wondering where you all stand on some issues.

My Views

Pro-Life

Pro-Gun but
But I think guns should be registered.
I think there should be a 48-hour waiting period.

Anti NAFTA

Anti Gulf War but since troops were deployed I 100% support the troops

I agree with TV rating system and vulgar things should not be on public TV.

I disagree with giving a tax break to people that buy Hybrid cars

100% for alternative fuel sources that are not oil based ?Hydrogen, etc, etc)

I agree with giving a tax break to those that Home School and use private schools.

I believe that a marriage is between a man and woman and I am for a constitutional amendment.

I am for the Death Penalty

I am completly against campaign raising that involves millions of dollars that doesn?t allow for different independent parties to campaign. I think there should be a spending cap for elections.

There are many more but I don?t have enough time to put them all down.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Not myopic, just need glasses

Pro-Choice, wont debate this, just the way I feel.

Pro-Gun any kind any where any time.
Absolutely no registration, Thats what germany did and great britian just before they banned them.

I disagree with federal income tax period.

Don't know enough about NAFTA to have an opion. Shame on me.

I am for the War. I feel we have to be proactive and stop those who wish harm on us. However, to not do anything about tighting our bourders and to give illegals amnesty, is beyond me.

I agree with TV rating system, however it should be self inposed and not by our government.

School vouchers would suit me just fine. We should find away to promote corporate sponsership to bring more money and better managmet to our puplic school system as well.

Isn't marriage a religous thing ? Didn't marriage exist before the U.S. did? Government shouldn't be involved in the first place. That's Gods place.

How is having the ten comandments in a courthouse violating the constitution. Or having God in schools. Again I ask, doesn't the fact we say we can't have those things, break the contitution?
"Congress shall MAKE NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion, or PROHIBTING the free exercise thereof" Just how can that be intepreted to make that Judge in Al. remove the ten comandments, Or to not allow prair in schools, or to take God out of our Pledge. Something is (BEEP)-up.

You left out Hate (thought) Crimes. How Stupid is that.

Another question to ponder:
When was the last time you went to the post office and saw a smile? Or any government agency? Hospitals and Airlines are the same way do to over regulations, they might as well be government run. Oh wait, with all the subsidies, I think they are. Why do we need so much government involvement.

I also would like to add:

I am against Zoning. So many Cities have it why? Houston doesn't and it managed to grow just fine all by itself. WOW

I don't think we should have career politions, there should be a cap. 20 years maybe, for public service, in any office held. And laws should have a maximum life too, renew them if necessary, ie. don't take whats not yours.

Lawyers shouldn't be able to serve in congress, doesn't that almost negate the three branches?

This is supposed to be a free country. It's quickly going away to protect one single persons interst at a time. tick, tock, tick, tock

Just remember, we are all one law away from being criminals.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:51 AM
Banned

This thread is not for debate but more to allow people to see where we are all coming from with are ideas on the other threads.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:54 AM

The term conservative has been co-opted by the radical right whom I believe borders on the edge of fascism in the same manner as the term environmentalist which has been co-opted by the Sierra Club. Both of them are neither.

I also object to being termed liberal if I am not deemed conservative enough by a bunch of fascists. I beleive we have all the laws we need in the orignal constitution and bill of rights and everything else since has been a selective definition of those rights by whomever has been able to get the upper hand in the argument. If that makes me a liberal to you so called conservatives, thats fine by me. I do not want to be anywhere's near in the same company as yourselves.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by shmekelhead

I disagree with federal income tax period.

You may disagree with it, what do you propose in it's place?

School vouchers would suit me just fine. We should find away to promote corporate sponsership to bring more money and better managmet to our puplic school system as well.

something needs to change there. I would like to give vouchers a trial run to see if that makes any difference.

Isn't marriage a religous thing ? Didn't marriage exist before the U.S. did? Government shouldn't be involved in the first place. That's Gods place.

Don't know, is marriage a religious thing. If so, I got married for all the wrong reasons. I didn't do it for procreation. Didn't do it to make a deity happy. I did it because I wanted to plainly show anyone who is interested that I love another person enough to proclaim it publicly with no shame and my intent is the sharing of our lives as one.

I am against Zoning. So many Cities have it why? Houston doesn't and it managed to grow just fine all by itself. WOW

Would you really think it's fine for me to build a bar and strip club next to a public school? How about an animal shelter next to a restaurant? How about a small airport next to your subdvision instead of a golf course. How about a paint shop next to high dollar homes?

Just remember, we are all one law away from being criminals.
If you define criminal as someone who breaks laws, then we all are.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:13 AM

"I disagree with federal income tax period."

"You may disagree with it, what do you propose in it's place?"

VAT or sales tax or consumption tax. Native and legalized citizens of this country are being discriminated against in having to pay for the costs of society and globalization. If the government is going to allow cheap labor to freely follow capital, ie illegal immigration, then it should not expect its citizens to foot the bill for that after all, its coming at their expense, ie standard of living.

"School vouchers would suit me just fine. We should find away to promote corporate sponsership to bring more money and better managmet to our puplic school system as well."

"something needs to change there. I would like to give vouchers a trial run to see if that makes any difference."

The problem here is that it would still be the government distributing the vouchers and all that will do over time is saddle the private educational system with the same BS that passes for public education today. My daughter is in private Christian school for which I am willing to pay the cost - that provides her with an education free of government interference in all areas other than meeting a basic state mandated curricula formula in order to meet college entrance requirements. The government does not get to say what is being taught (in Kendra's case, God) which is most certainly the case with public schools.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:07 PM

I may have used the wrong word with vouchers, perhaps a tax credit would be better. Here in Texas we have no income tax but we do have a rather large property tax. IMO we should recieve a credit if we chose other means of education.

Robert spoke to taxation and I agree with him. How did our country and the Federal Government survive the first 150 years without federal income tax ??? Cut out the Programs!

Zoning:
Come to Houston, there is NO zoning and it works just fine.
There are rules about bars or nude places x number of feet from schools, but that is not Zoning. As far as the rest it just seems to work it self out. ie. the paint shop owner can afford to put his home next to the high dollar homes, it just costs too much.
If the government wants to tell you what to do with your land(makeing rules after you own it) then they should compensate you for it. There's a whole gagle of land use laws I feel are unacceptable. If I were to purchase the land with the rules and laws in place ok. but after I allready own the land just takes away my rights as a property owner.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by shmekelhead

Zoning:
Come to Houston, there is NO zoning and it works just fine.
There are rules about bars or nude places x number of feet from schools, but that is not Zoning.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. Any set of rules that defines a zone which excludes specified activities is zoning.

A rose by any other name....
Old 02-26-2004, 03:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mainejeeper
Pro-Choice, up to a certain period of time
Pro-Gun agree with registration and background checks completely against banning
I disagree with federal income tax.

Don't know enough about NAFTA

I am for the War. We should have finished what we started in the first place

I agree with TV rating system, however it should be self inposed and not by our government.

School vouchers agree

I feel that what ever makes a person happy is what we should do, and i feel that the government has no right to say people cant be marryed if thats what they want, i dont believe in governmental marriage licenses period.

Hate crimes are for people who are too arogant in thinking that their lifestyle and race are better then all the others, ,we were all apes once
Old 02-26-2004, 03:58 PM

Re: Where do you stand on the issues

Mostly pro-life but believe there are some situations where abortion is appropriate.

Pro-gun: Against registration and licensing - it's a right, not a privilege. I support CCW permits as long as specific firearms are not listed/recorded. Training is never a bad idea, and most states require at least some training before a permit is issued.

Anti NAFTA and strongly for enforcement of immigration laws.

I support the war, just wish the job would have been finished the first time our troops were there....

Agree with the TV rating system but also agree with the others in that it should be self-regulated. That's why there is a button marked "Off" on the remote. Parents need to take responsibility for what their children watch.

Disagree with tax breaks for alternative fuel vehicles, but believe we need to reduce our reliance on oil and seek other forms of energy. Maybe tax breaks for companies that develop such sources - maybe that would keep the prices of alternative fuels more in line with oil?

I think parents should have options on where to send their children for education, and either vouchers or tax breaks are fine by me.

Marriage should be defined as it always has been: a man and a woman. I don't agree with screwing with the Consistution though.

Strong supporter of the death penalty, as long as it's applied fairly and with absolutely no doubt about the guilt of the person. Give them one automatic appeal to review evidence and make sure everything was done properly, and if upheld, the execution should take place quickly.

I think the "unwritten" law that you have to be rich to run for office needs to be eliminated. The current system does not allow a true representative of the people to be elected.

I believe "hate crime" is another one of those unneeded laws. There are sufficient laws on the books to cover "hate crimes" - they're usually called murder, assault, arson, etc. If you kill someone, chances are you really didn't like them that much anyway.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:17 PM

I for one hate the terms pro-choice and pro-life.

I'm both.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:19 PM

I'm pro - ignore 02 white TJ. And I support it by action. Of course, when people quote, I'm stuck!
Old 02-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by William
I'm pro - ignore 02 white TJ. And I support it by action. Of course, when people quote, I'm stuck!

Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
I for one hate the terms pro-choice and pro-life.

I'm both.
Do you prefer anti-choice and pro-death?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. Any set of rules that defines a zone which excludes specified activities is zoning.

A rose by any other name....

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

One entry found for zone.

Main Entry: 2zone
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): zoned; zon?ing
1 : to surround with a zone : ENCIRCLE
2 : to arrange in or mark off into zones; specifically : to partition (a city, borough, or township) by ordinance into sections reserved for different purposes (as residence or business)
- zon?er noun

Interpret it as you like
Old 02-27-2004, 05:02 AM

Abortion: Against casual abortion due to one's own irresponsibility, but I won't start bombing abortion clinics anytime soon

Gun Control: Against (All it does is inconvenience the law-abiding gun owners)

NAFTA: Against

Gulf War: For and against - Nobody likes war, but it had to be done by someone

TV Ratings: No opinion (But I think parents should take more responsibility in what their children watch on the babysitter box)

Tax Break for Hybrid Cars: Against

Alternative Fuel: For

Tax Breaks for Home/Private Schoolers: For

Gay Marriage: For. Couldn't care less what the church decides - That's their business. But I think the government should honor a gay marriage just as much as a hetero marriage.

Death Penalty: For

Campaign $ Raising: Against

Affirmative Action: Against

"Hate" Crime Legislation: Against
Old 02-27-2004, 06:18 AM

Re: Where do you stand on the issues

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
Where do you stand on these?

I always thought that the Jeep community was a very conservative bunch but I see some of you are not. I just wondering where you all stand on some issues.

My Views

Pro-Life

Pro-Gun but
But I think guns should be registered.
I think there should be a 48-hour waiting period.

Anti NAFTA

Anti Gulf War but since troops were deployed I 100% support the troops

I agree with TV rating system and vulgar things should not be on public TV.

I disagree with giving a tax break to people that buy Hybrid cars

100% for alternative fuel sources that are not oil based ?Hydrogen, etc, etc)

I agree with giving a tax break to those that Home School and use private schools.

I believe that a marriage is between a man and woman and I am for a constitutional amendment.

I am for the Death Penalty

I am completly against campaign raising that involves millions of dollars that doesn?t allow for different independent parties to campaign. I think there should be a spending cap for elections.

There are many more but I don?t have enough time to put them all down.
Somewhat anti abortion/somewhat pro life.....Yes, I'm wishy washy on this issue.....I'm also a man. As such I believe it's wrong to kill an innocent child.....but I also feel that there are times it may be the lesser of two evils. Notice I did not say it's right. I'm 100% against late term and partial birth abortions.

Pro gun.....no registration.....waiting period ok with me.....look to Cook County's ban here in Illinois and tell me how effective gun control is.....

Anti NAFTA.....anti Mexican truckers.....anti world economy and mostly anti immigration. I have a lot more tolerance for people who seek legal immigration/citizenship than the border runners and those who enter the US illegally.....they are a burden to the economy and they drive down wages.

I support the current wars, support the troops, and mostly support what President Bush does.....but certainly not all that he does.....I want Osama's head on a pike.....

I have no problem with what's currently on TV.....however, that does not make what's currently on appropriate for all viewers.....parents need to take control.....and with a lot more than just the TV.....

Hybrids? Depends on how large a break.....A reasonable break? Fine.....Excessive? No way..... Where's my tax break? I get 10 MPG and deserve a break because my transportation is a gas guzzler.....

Alternative fuel.....I'm for some reasonable breaks there as well.....

I support a tax break for home school, private school, and a trial run of vouchers.....I hope they (vouchers) work.....

I believe marriage is between a man and woman. I have no problems with gays, them living together, adopting, or anything else regarding them. The constitution does not have to be amended to handle this. It can be handled at a state level. If a state decides to honor a man to man or woman to woman union, fine. I still don't agree with it.....I'll never agree with it.....and there's a lot going on I dont agree with. I can only voice my displeasure, get involved, and vote with cantidates whose views and beliefs align with mine.....

I have no problem with how much money a campaign raises.....but there should be limits for individuals, companies, unions, and special interest groups. Basically if you can donate there should be a cap.

Against affirmative action.

Against hate crime laws.

For arctic drilling.

For zoning.

Sex crimes involving children should be mandatory life imprisonment/death penalty elligable. These people are hard wired, just like you and me, and they'll never change, just like you and me. And yes, because they are hard wired, that might make my views extreme. I don't care. If you sexually abuse a child you deserve life behind bars or death. Sorry.....

The penalties for any and all crimes against the elderly, children, law enforcement, crimes involving guns, parole violations, and animal cruelty needs to be strengthened/enforced better. No new laws are needed for the most part, just stiffer panalties and better enforcement.

There's a lot more I'm for and against.

Lawyers, insurance, big business, lawsuits, criminals, and on and on.

I don't have the time.....

But I do try to use my head, be reasonable, and really see the big picture.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 02-27-2004, 06:24 AM

My Views:

Pro-Life (but w/ parental consent for minors)
(I am against abortion but for a Woman's right to choose)

Anti - Gun Control

Anti NAFTA

Pro Bush

Pro War (I agree that it needed to be done)

Pro TV Rating - People to choose

Pro Hybrid cars (sorry but this is the way of the future)

Pro Nulclear Power

Pro School Voucher Type Systems

Pro Marriage (man and a woman)

Pro Death Penalty

Pro Campaign Reform (what a waste of money)
Old 02-27-2004, 07:04 AM

It's pretty sad, I guess, but I'm pretty much a 1 issue voter.

Whom/whatever the NRA reccos is my choice.

If the candidate/law agrees with me on this issue, the other things seem to fall in line.

I ALWAYS vote against ANY tax increase (which does nothing but give the government more power..... which translates to less freedom).

I guess where I live, I take all the problems the rest of the world suffers through for granted, and all the freedoms I enjoy in MO seem to be upheld by the pro-gun candidates.

I just pray my kids/grandkids enjoy the same freedoms.

HB
Old 02-27-2004, 11:07 AM

Re: Re: Where do you stand on the issues

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
I want Osama's head on a pike.....
Why on a fish?