Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-21-2004, 09:30 PM

Talking OR Fab sport cage good enough for a mall cruiser???

Giving the limited amount of ?real? wheeling I get to do is the OR Fab sport cage sufficient for some moderate added protection? If I was fortunate enough to have JV or such in my ?backyard? I would opt for a real cage but being that is not the case I am looking for some alternatives.. TIA for any suggestions, Chuck
Old 04-22-2004, 03:20 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Chuck,

How are you my freind. I have been meaning to give you a call, but have been busier then a one arm paper hanger and having a blast doing so too! After this weekend I will free up and get some time.

I have the OR-Fab bolt in roll cage. I picked it up after seeing how effective it was at protecting a young lady during a roll out at Moab (Tracy I think.)

While this is a bolt on design it could easily be welded into place. They make the frame tie in's as well, and spreaders for the top.

I have not had the need to use it yet, but I feel comfortable it will had more protection then the stock setup did.

Hope this helps a bit.

Frank
Old 04-22-2004, 07:27 AM

Its better than nothing, that's for sure. However, I have a friend that just did a big roll in Moab with one of those and it self destructed. Ripped out of the dash and collapsed.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
Its better than nothing, that's for sure. However, I have a friend that just did a big roll in Moab with one of those and it self destructed. Ripped out of the dash and collapsed.

Interesting. Was it welded in? I'd suspect not. I do not recommend any cage that bolts together with self tapping screws.....or whatever it is they provide.

While some add in cages are better than others, I'd say most add a fair bit more protection, and you really can't go wrong with any weld in cage addition.

That said, I personally feel that any cage add on that ties into the windshield frame has a lot more to offer protection wise, than those that don't. It may not look as good with the windshield folded down due to those big plates that bolt to the windshield, but I don't care much about that. I think a lot of people do not understand just how much rigidity the windshield frame and glass provides, especially when tied into a cage.

I personally have the PSC sport cage or trail cage kit.....whatever they call it. Some people knock it because it re-uses the stock side bars that attach to the windshield frame. They are .083 wall instead of .120 wall. However, whenever a top cross bar is added with additional spreaders, you now have 4 bars to help spread the load and keep the front of tha cage intact. Yes, 4 bars at .120 wall is better, but I feel fine knowing that 2 at .083 and 2 at .120 will hold up to 99% of whatever I get myself into.

I would also recommend a rear spreader and angle bars, some gussets here and there, grab handles for the front, and welding up the stock cage solid.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
A friend of mine backflipped at tds this year and the or fab cage collapased on him. I'll never run one. I will be installing the poision spider kit that ties into the floor. Luckly no one was hurt but the jeep was a loss. He drives the "laker" colored tj from inland empire 4 wheelers.
Kory
Old 04-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Reggae

I know somebody who knows somebody who has an ORF cage, and very happy that it provides an excellent place to mount the CB radio. Think about it.

BTW, the El Hill in Los Coyotes (Los Coyotes is a place, where you can go wheeling with a Civic) is much more dangerous (roll down the hill wise) than most of the JV trails, with a notable exception of Jackhammer.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:41 AM

I appreciate those that want to do more for safety and don't want to compromise the vehicle, but after living with a daily drive tj with a thru the dash cage for years, it true is unobtrusive.

Having rolled on that style 3.5x's, I also know that its strong and safe.

Now, my cage is overbuilt and I love it that way. Lots of triangulation, tied to the frame and door bars. The jeep will come apart before the cage does. .. but that's really not necessary for most.

I think that trading a big foot on the floor and nice strong .120 wall DOM for a chunk of angle iron is dangerous.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:47 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Hey Chuck, get in touch with Stu. I think he had a vedio of Tracy's roll out in Moab last year using this OR-Fab roll bar. It was quite impressive.

Frank
Old 04-26-2004, 06:04 AM

Frank, thanks I found that video. I may go that route and possibly some spreader bars and even through bolt it if possible.. Taking vacation next week to start the new project. Clutch, MML, BL and FT 6" LA... Give me call when you get a chance.. Take care. Chuck
Old 04-26-2004, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockjeep
A friend of mine backflipped at tds this year and the or fab cage collapased on him. I'll never run one. I will be installing the poision spider kit that ties into the floor. Luckly no one was hurt but the jeep was a loss. He drives the "laker" colored tj from inland empire 4 wheelers.
Kory
What part of it collapsed? I mean, did it tear out the cowl mounting bolts (3 bolts on each side of the dash), or the bolts that connect it to the main hoop, or did the tubing itself collapse? What kind of a backflip was it? Was it end-over-end(s) like the infamous Tracy's roll, or did it come down on a rock right in the middle of the OR Fab bar?

Now you guys have me worried.... I bought Tracy Olson's Toys By Troy w/2 spreaders, when he pulled it out.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
the top two bolts pulled out and then folded at the second bolt. the spreader bars bent down. if he had the POS kit it would have transfered the load down through the dash into the tub.
Kory