Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-26-2005, 04:18 PM

Business Idea: Need Suggestions

As some of you know, I've been out of work for a few months now and have been bored out of my mind. I had been very successful in technology sales for the past 15 years. I left to try to start something new and to take some time off to spend time with my kids as well as supervise the remodelling of my home, construction of a pool and complete re-lanscaping.

In any-case, I came across an opportunity to brand my own line of aluminum boxes and cases. (long story). There are two products that I would like your input on. One is an aluminum case (much the size of a briefcase) that is specifically designed to hold tools (foam inserts, cut-outs, etc.). The other is an aluminum case designed for first aid. There are other products (like a handgun case) but I'm asking specifically of these two primarily for the 4x4 world. I have a few basic pics if interested but I don't have them hosted anywhere at this time.

The first aid case measures (roughly) 13x10x5.5
The tool case measures (roughly) 18x13x6

Think there might be a market for this?

Thanks,

Jeeper
Old 04-26-2005, 04:27 PM

Do you have a source for inexpensive construction/production? The product is one thing, being able to manufacture it inexpensively and sell it at a reasonable price is another.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:07 PM

How about a case to hold spare axle shafts? IIRC you can get foam inserts that are perforated so the end user can trim the inserts to fit his particular shafts.

First aid kits are cheap and rreadily available, not suer I'd pay for a nice case.

I like the tool kit idea, but I think it would be dificult to anticipate the tools that the end user would want to fit. Would be VERY cool if you got a list of the most common Jeep specific tools and designed the kit around that... I'd be interested

As Robert said, keeping the cost down is key.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:17 PM

My manufacturing costs are extremely low, which is one reason that this intersts me. I also have the capability to "personalize" each case with logos, club names, etc. for very little $$$.

I like the idea of 4x4 specific tool cases but that might be challenging. This would be more of a general tool case (basic essentials). HOWEVER, I'll have to check into the cost behind cases that would carry spare parts (u-joints, axle shafts, hubs etc)...tough part would be the inserts since sizes vary.

Thanks for the inputs thus far!!!

Jeeper
Old 04-26-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
How about a case to hold spare axle shafts?
zip ties.

I think high-end cases should be water resistant. a great seal to keep out water would be worth some $$$

( but I use soft sided bags... )