Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-07-2003, 06:55 PM

another question re: WJ brakes

after reading MJR's write-up and looking at pics I wondered... would it be possible to press apart a set of WJ hub bearings and a set of TJ hub bearings, swap the WJ inner portion (the part that bolts to the knuckle, which is where the depth difference appears to be) to the TJ outer (part that the wheel bolts to) , and press them back together?

It looks (i can't measure the parts from here ) like the unit bearing is the same overall depth, but the mounting flange (that bolts to the knuckle) is in a different position for the different models.

Just a thought that popped into my feeble brain, and I'm sure it's been considered and rejected for one reason or another, but I couldn't find anything using the search.

thanks-
Chuck
Old 05-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Chuck, without you having been too specific about what you are trying to do, I am going to assume that you are converting to the WJ brakes in the front and using the WJ knuckles to facilitate the process.

If that is the case, just get the stuff that Mark Hinkley developed that will greatly simplify your life. He has the spacers for the knuckles that weld on and work perfectly.

You will most likely wind up with trackbar and swaybar interference and he has the bracketry to solve that problem. Not only that but he has a reinforced frame side track bar bracket that works perfectly with your new higher steering and better brakes. I have the taps for the 24 x 1.5 right and left hand thread that will allow you to use stock steering ends off of a WJ.

Mark has a new trackbar that works also.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:32 PM

you got it blaine... i didn't quite 'splain myself. i am gathering parts, odds & ends to do the WJ brake conversion. I did see ORGS's parts for this swap. Question about using the weld-on spacers: are the WJ knuckes cast steel or cast iron? I've read of varying results concerning welding steel to cast iron.

Of course, there is the cost factor (for me): which is cheaper, having a shop do a couple of presses, or buy & weld pre-fab parts?

I want to do it right, but I want to spend the least amount of money to do so. My girlfriend is getting awfully upset with me spending all my oney on the Jeep (and not her)
Old 05-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cbremer
you got it blaine... i didn't quite 'splain myself. i am gathering parts, odds & ends to do the WJ brake conversion. I did see ORGS's parts for this swap. Question about using the weld-on spacers: are the WJ knuckes cast steel or cast iron? I've read of varying results concerning welding steel to cast iron.

Of course, there is the cost factor (for me): which is cheaper, having a shop do a couple of presses, or buy & weld pre-fab parts?

I want to do it right, but I want to spend the least amount of money to do so. My girlfriend is getting awfully upset with me spending all my oney on the Jeep (and not her)
I would guess that the knuckles are cast iron, but not gray iron.

I have welded up several sets as has Mr. Hinkley. No issues to date.

They are simple to do. Preheat in your oven to 400 degrees, grab them with a pair of big pliers, run them out to the garage and fire up the MIG. Run a fast hot root pass all the way around, come back over the top with a wider slower final pass and your good to go. I wrap them in house insulation and let them cool down. Takes about 24 hours to get to ambient that way.

As far as cheap goes, I prefer to do it right if I can when it comes to anything holding on my front tires.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
Chuck,

I just had all my stuff apart today and the welds look great! I just changed all over to 5x5.5 warn kit on mine.

mark
orgs mfg

ps. check out the pricing on the bracket stuff it will be hard to beat having them made one-off. All are lazer cut!