Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 03-02-2002, 11:50 AM

Great Trip To AZ!

Got back from AZ late last night. Tom and I had a great time. We were a little disappointed that things weren't as green as last year but then we realized we were just lucky to have been there last year. It was a record year for rain and I imagine seeing wildflowers and a totally green AZ was about as rare as it would be in NV.
We did some trails around Oatman and then headed over the Hualapais towards Wikieup and froze our butts off. Nice scenery and a great exit through some unknown canyon with lots of old mines.
Then we headed for the Table Mesa area to meet up with Stu and Kevin. We had a good day! I think we were all more into BSing than killing ourselves on a long trail so we had a very relaxing fun day with some great terain and obstacles. I like lots of lines to choose from there were lots to choose from!
Kevin bought his Grand to wheel it and wheel it he does:

I am hoping Stu likes this picture:

As you can see by his smile, Stu is comfortable with a bit of air!
From there we headed for the Mineral Mountains and found Charles A. Wells just comleted an AZ trail book. We picked up a couple copies and found it very helpfull. We camped for two nights at Martinez cabins and couldn't believe how many old farts passed through the area in their SUVs! We played on the rocks and spent a lot of time exploring the mines.
They say TJs aren't wide enough to get through here but I had to give it a try (I failed).

We did WoodPecker where I slipped off a rock on V-Notch and and put a big dent in my passenger door.

Tom didn't get a good picture as he decided to put the camera down just as I slipped in.
We walked Axle Alley and I didn't like it. Garry would! We also walked Highway to Hell and saw some not too bad obstacles but the really bad stuff must have been further than we wanted to walk.
We then headed back to Phoenix and took a very long Back Way to Crown King and Desoto Mine. The later was a total blast, fairly easy but full of fun! Some friends bombed out on a meet to do a trail around Bullhead City so we drove home the same night. I'm dead so the Jeep will have to get cleaned tomarrow!
I might post some more pics later.
Thanks, Stu and Kevin, we really enjoyed our day with you guys!
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 03-03-2002, 04:12 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Good Pics!

Ron,

For the record, that V-notch you slipped off of on Woodpecker is called the "File Hole" (at least it appears to be from the pic and that is the only one I am aware of on that trail).

As the story was told to me, its name comes from the fact that several of the early attempts at the obstacles would result in a CJ losing the correct line and dropping the passenger side into the crack. This would cause the hood/fender to dent in and lay across the battery terminals and start a fire. Hence, it was named File Hole (of course, the entire story could be BS but it sure sounds pretty cool). If the story is in fact true, it is probably one of the few obstacles that has a "fire risk" associated with it....we are use to driveline risks, sheet metal risks, but a calcuated fire risk is rather different.

One part of the Fire Hole lore that I did confirm for myself was the fact that the big V notch part was actually filled with a concrete barrier at one time during the last century. I assume this was done to cause the water to dam up behind it, as the entire wash right in that area is bedrock and would create a good watering hole. You can see the remains of the concrete in the bedrock notch from where it was blasted out and turned back into the natural notch it is today.

The ONLY cabana boy in this community who has won a raffle!
http://www.stu-offroad.com

[This message was edited by Stu Olson on March 03, 2002 at 05:25 PM.]
Old 03-03-2002, 08:08 PM

Looks like a great trip Ron! I've wheeled around the Hualapais area a few times. One of my best friends lives close to Kingman (actually Golden Valley), and he's shown me around some. We've deer hunted there a few times too. Did you see any wild pigs?
Old 03-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Dillard:
Did you see any wild pigs?[/quote]

As Kevin and I were approaching Ron and Tom's camp site, I thought I smelled some wild pigs (I'm sure you have too if you have ever gotten down wind of those little musky buggers!).

Once we pulled up by the tents, I realized there were no wild pigs in the area.

(oh, I couldn't resist that one! Besides, Ron said it had been a couple of days with no shower and he needed one!)

The ONLY cabana boy in this community who has won a raffle!
http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 03-04-2002, 11:03 PM

No Joe, no pigs. Talked to some pig hunters though, saw a few herds of dear, a cardinal or two, some squirells and a herd of wild mustangs on the Indian Reservation north of Phoenix.

OK Stu, I'm gonna remember that remark!

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 03-05-2002, 04:52 AM

Great pics...wish I could have been there!

Stu, For the record, you are correct about it being named "Fire Hole" and for the reason you mentioned. However, the cement part was due to a few idiots who decided that they could not make the obstacle without a little help so they filled it in with tires, garbage and then cemented it all in there. This happened about 2.5 years ago. Several months later some of the more extreme groups got rid of the junk to bring it back to its original difficulty.

Jeeper

Many Jeeps with Stuff
Old 03-05-2002, 10:13 PM

We did indeed have a GREAT run that day. Looking forward very much to the next time!

Talk to you guys soon,
Kevin

KevinsJeepParts.com
1993 Black Bulletproof Bus with only one mod...EVERYTHING!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 07:04 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeeper:
Great pics...wish I could have been there!

Stu, For the record, you are correct about it being named "Fi_r_e Hole" and for the reason you mentioned. However, the cement part was due to a few idiots who decided that they could not make the obstacle without a little help so they filled it in with tires, garbage and then cemented it all in there. This happened about 2.5 years ago. Several months later some of the more extreme groups got rid of the junk to bring it back to its original difficulty.

Jeeper

Many Jeeps with Stuff[/quote]

That is amazing. This obstacle is totally optional and some dickweed would screw it up so he can "make it". People are strange