Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-25-2002, 12:22 PM

Bus Drivers: My buddy needs advice, should he buy a Cherokee or a Grand?

Okay bus drivers, need some advice. A buddy of mine wants to pick up either a Cherokee or a Grand (not brand new but late 90's or newer). Anyhow, he's turned to me to help guide him down the right path and since I'm a TJ guy, I really don't know that much about the buses. What's the differences? What options/features should he look for and what ones should he avoid? Any certain years/makes/models to look for and any to avoid either? Any other tips/tricks/advice would be appreciated. Tks.

Justin
Old 01-25-2002, 12:34 PM

It really depends on what he wants it for.

if he wants it more for around town/family hauling purposes, with offroading as a secondary consideration, I'd go with the ZJ(Grand).

It's bigger, it rides nicer, gets the same gas miliage, has a nicer interior, etc.

If he is looking to build it up for offroading, I'd go with the XJ. The XJ is lighter and smaller, easier to swap a bigger rear axle into (leaf springs in back), etc.

I don't know much about XJs, but I think I remember people saying 94 and up are good years, since that was the last design change in the whole run.

For Grands, I would get 96 and up, preferably a 97 or 98 because they had the most bugs worked out of them and had upgrades to things like the unibody frame strenght as well as having a 5 or 10 HP increase in the I-6 engine versus the 93-95 years.

If he gets and XJ, definitely get the i-6 engine.

For a ZJ, the v8 is nice, but I have the i-6 and it works fine. If he plans to tow stuff, get the v8. (The benifit of going with the I-6 is you most likely get Selectrac 4wd transfer case which I think is better than the quadra drive transfer case).

If he can, he should try to get Selectrac in the XJ too, it's nice to be able to use 4wd in the rain or slight snow but i think XJs come with comandtrac more often than not which is the same T-case as in the TJs.

I hope this helps.

Grey 98 ZJ.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:49 PM

I agree with Grey.

I have a 99 WJ (the new body Grand) and it's been a great truck, and it works great off road, BUT there is little aftermarket support for the Grand and everything becomes some type of pain in the ass.

The ZJ's have it easier with parts, but there are more lift options for the XJ. Also, many ZJ's have CV front driveshafts and other non lift tolerant drivetrain parts that if you go upwards of 4" you'll need to replace.

The Grand is a nicer vehicle and it is larger inside. The wheelbases are only approx 4" different. The XJ's are a tad narrower as well.

Personally - with all I've been through in dealing with some vibration issues lately I'm ready for TJ.

I don't think the ZJ, WJ, or XJ particularly like to be lifted - they seem to groan a lot about it.

For engines - V8 for the Grand, I6 for the XJ. I'd got automatic for both, but a lot of the XJ guys swear by their 5 speeds.

Selectrac (242) or Command Trac (231) is the way to go. Although I think you could only get quadra trac in the V8 ZJ’s. Quadra drive is new – started in 99 and is a VERY good case (247) (it doesn’t have the viscous coupling that the quadra trac case had) The quadra trac case is known to wear the viscous coupling and they can get expensive to fix. You can always swap in a Selectrac case without too many issues (I think they just bolt up, but I’m not sure).

97-98 is a very good year for the Grand. I don't know exactly what year, but I think 1999 or 2000 is when the XJ went to a standard rotation (low pinion) D30 up front that will need to be swapped if you plan to lift higher than 2". You get hellacious driveline vibes from that front end - the old XJ's had a reverse rotation fron D30. But, the D30 is an excellent axle.

Rear axles are a pain in the ass on a ZJ - their are either a 35c clip which doesn't have a lot of options or lockers available for it - and has a reputation for being weak - or the dreaded aluminum D44 C clip. There are NO real locker options for the aluminum cased D44 - the best you can do is a trac-lock. I'm not sure about the XJ but I think they had a D35 c clip in the older ones and a 8.8 in the newer ones.

Chances are the front axles are CV joints instead of U-joints on the Grand. If you ever break one you’ll need to carry a space CV axle as non of your CJ/YJ/TJ buddies will have them and you can’t just replace a CV like you can a u-joint.

There is actually a lot of info on Grands in the archives on JU - you'll need to weed through the jackass posts, but the grand board in early 01 was really good.

Jeff

99 WJ Laredo - lifted with accoutrements
Old 01-25-2002, 04:02 PM
AA reject

Shalom and jeff basically covered all the important info between the two. I love my grand, but to go over 5 inches of lift takes a lot more than it would on a XJ. My buddy Alex {handlebars} on this forum has a two door, 5 speed XJ and it wheels great. Just depends on what he's looking for and if its going to be a daily driver or not. Both can be very trail worthy, although you will most likley have to spend more with the grand.

97 ZJ 8.0" lift, Armed and plated "short bus".
Old 01-26-2002, 02:36 PM

If I was building a rock crawler, I think I'd go with a 2dr Cherokee.

However, if this is a vehicle that is driven on the paved roads, I IMPLORE him to get a ZJ instead. The on-road manerisms are MUCH better in the ZJ. I've owned 4 XJs, and several months ago I rented a 2001 XJ. It had the same hums, rattles, and vibrations that my earlier models had. Even with my 6" lift and 33" tires, the ride is smoother in my ZJ than the STOCK XJ with street tires!!!

If he wants an articulation monster, the coil springs in the rear of the ZJ are a nice deal and ride really well.

Anyway, after owning 4 different XJs (from stock to 6" of lift), I'm sold on the ZJ. It's far superior in almost every way to it's little brother.

KevinsJeepParts.com
1993 Black Bulletproof Bus with only one mod...EVERYTHING!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 01:48 PM

Driver's height ZJ or XJ

If your friend is tall the ZJ is a much better fit.
Regards, John V.

Will add some later
Old 02-01-2002, 04:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John V:
If your friend is tall the ZJ is a much better fit.
Regards, John V.

Will add some later [/quote]

This is very true. I am 6'2 and I have a good two to three inches of space between my head and roof in my ZJ.

When I drive my dad's XJ around (which I do fairly often) unless I position the seat just right and slouch, my head will hit the roof. Adjusted correctly, there's maybe an inch of room.

Grey 98 ZJ.