Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Talking Let's talk cell phones

Ok, my cell phone is on its last legs. I got a new battery for it back in July and it's already not holding a charge like it should be... I've even let it drain fully and it still won't work well. I've had this phone (Nokia 5160i) since I got the plan back in 1999 or 2000. I've been fine with this phone, I can text message, program stuff w/o issue and for what it is, it's a good phone. It has no bells and whistles but it definitely is "old school". I really don't need all the extra stuff but I just want something that will work well for me (so texting is a must).

What cell phones do you have?

What do you/don't you like about it?

How much did it cost you? Remember I already have a plan so "signing up" isn't an option.

Do all cell phones work with all cell service providers? I have ATT.

Does anyone know if it's a PITA to just get a new phone or can the store just call the provider and get the new phone activated? Is there a charge to activate it?

I think those are all the questions I have now.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:25 PM

pimp

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/manufacturer.php?id=8

can't help you with the carriers but remember number portability is available to you now.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
True, but I don't want to pay 175 bucks to stop service on my plan.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it after dinner.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:40 PM

Blaine and I both enjoy our Nextel service. I think Blaine likes his better. Ask him about the Nextel mobile antenna on their tractor trailer rig.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:45 PM

What ever phone you decide on make sure it's NOT a Motorola T720.

For the record - the first and second generation Startac were the most reliable, easiest to use, and best sounding cell phones I've owned.

IMO they break down into 4 groups

Under $50
$50 - $100
$100 - $200
$200+

Get whatever you can afford that feels good on your ear - they are Ford Chevy now.

Jeff
Old 11-10-2003, 02:56 PM

And does anyone know of a tri-mode (analog/digital) phone that has a fairly loud speaker? I don't mean a speaker phone and I don't want an earpiece. I've tried several earpieces and none work well enough in the Jeep at highway speeds. The volume of my nearly new Motorola V120 is cranked up all the way yet it's still to soft to hear clearly inside the Jeep... and no I am not going deaf... yet! The sales-droids at Verizon were helpful as usual when I asked them which models to look at that would be louder.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeepik
Jerry,

motorola v60p has the loudest volume i have ever heard in a phone.

i can drive in my jeep with no doors or top and music blasting and can talk just fine on it...definitely a nice phone

you'll have to activate PTT calling in order to get it thougfh
Old 11-10-2003, 03:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
And does anyone know of a tri-mode (analog/digital) phone that has a fairly loud speaker? I don't mean a speaker phone and I don't want an earpiece. I've tried several earpieces and none work well enough in the Jeep at highway speeds. The volume of my nearly new Motorola V120 is cranked up all the way yet it's still to soft to hear clearly inside the Jeep... and no I am not going deaf... yet! The sales-droids at Verizon were helpful as usual when I asked them which models to look at that would be louder.
i keep busting the antennas off my v120. i'll be looking for something different come feb.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Jerry here you go:

Louder cell phones for Jerry B.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by William
Jerry here you go:

Louder cell phones for Jerry B.
Yeah yeah yeah, funny William but I'm not quite at the point I need a hearing aid. It's only around my wife or mother that I claim to have a hearing problem.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Arizona Chick

Anyone have suggestiosn on the different types of modes to look at?

I believ emy current phone is a TDMA/AMPS type, but there are GSM types now and combo TDMA/GSM...

I found a few phones I'm interested in but I want a phone that works all over the place.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:31 PM

had the v60, until i dropped it on our tile floor. guess what i'm getting next? that's right, something CHEAP. i don't need a phone to live, so i'm not paying squat for my next one. especially when i toss it in the jeep, take camping, etc.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:04 PM

ATT is having a lot of problems with their GSM service, if you want good coverage stay with TDMA or get the Siemens S46 or Sony-Ericsson T62u which can do TDMA/GSM.

You can get them on E-bay cheap.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Arizona Chick

Yea, I found a site that I've been reading for the last few hours that basically says the GSM service is pretty poor everywhere still. I'm going to stay digital for now.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to nineonethree
phones phones phones

I hate cell phones and the providers. It sucks that you cannot qualify for a discount even if you have been a loyal customer for YEARS.

But I have found that as much as some people don't like Best Buy they have a decent program when you buy a phone from them. If you buy a phone (at the new sign up discount or at current customer full price) and then get their warranty (2 years for like 39.99), you can trade in your phone for any reason, even if you just don't like it anymore, at any time within those two years for another phone and you get full credit. The length of the service/warranty plan stays the same and transfers to the new phone. Their warranty also covers breakage and stuff, everything except theft. It is better than the "insurance" you get from your cellular provider (I know, I have used that insurance twice, at $4 a month for three years plus the deductible, it doesn't equal out). So I bought my newest phone from Best Buy and got the service plan on it, I think I will change phones about once a year now! A co-worker bought her phone through Best Buy on the same plan and has since traded in and is on her fourth phone in 1.5 years!

And, NO, I am not a Best Buy employee or advocate, just passing on my experience and opinion!

Dane
Old 11-11-2003, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by T.Dome
i keep busting the antennas off my v120. i'll be looking for something different come feb.
I was busting mine too. Switched to the V120e (silver one). It's got a fixed antenna that doesn't break. The blue screen makes for a nice night light to use for seeing key holes and making your way around a dark house at night. (I work swing shift, I dont' want to wake everyone up when I get home.)
Old 11-12-2003, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Blaine and I both enjoy our Nextel service. I think Blaine likes his better. Ask him about the Nextel mobile antenna on their tractor trailer rig.
I'm glad you and Blaine like NextYell. You should (both) think of attending their next "satisfied customer" party - the other three folks could use some new blood in the poker game

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Arizona Chick

Well I decided on a Nokia 3560. I needed to sign up for a new contract but it is ok as I've been with ATT Wireless for all these years.

Plus what's cool is they chared it to my account so I didn't have to pay right now, I'll owe it in December.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:57 PM

You know Jeff, it's odd; I've had NextHell for years, and yet I've never been happy with them. The coverage sucks, the Customer Care Department...doesn't, and the phones are outdated and bulky. Sadly, they are as good as anyone else here in this market. They all seem to suck equally in Maryland. The reason I have NextHell now is that my company provides the phone and the service at no charge to me. Can't complain about free.

When I was out there visiting I had occasion to us emy phone and the service was markedly worse. I thought it was bad here, but it's worse there. I'm not sure how they even stay in that marketplace.

As for that meeting, I think I'm gonna take a pass. Besides, two is company, three is a crowd. I wouldn't want it to get crowded in their meeting closet.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:47 AM

Funny little snidbit (new word -and it's MINE I tell you, all MINE). Back when I was in that industry, at the trade shows and symposiums the engineers would all get together for dinner, drinks, breakfast, coffee - something - and basically shoot the $hit. Talk about equipment, site acq problems, that sort of stuff. No marketing weinies allowed.

The NexTel folks would never show.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.