Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-10-2002, 10:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Gotta love freakin crappy gaskets!

Well,
Upon frustrations, and lots of crappy things going wrong, to top it all off, the transmission gasket between the tranny and motor completely fell apart, and now the jeep is immobile till at least this weekend. So I get the VW daily driver running again, and when I get to work in burbank, about 70 miles, , I discover a gas leak. So.. now the VW is at dad's shop, and Im driving his yj. Better than mine in one way. Its got a 4.0, and Ive got a 258. Trying to get used to driving a 5 spd again. And let me tell you, driving a jeep on 31's is a whole lot different than driving mine on 35's! Anyway.. I just needed to vent.
Thanks
Scott
Old 07-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Scott, William stumbled across a tranny pan gasket for the TJ auto that is the silicone molded one with the steel inserts around the bolts. No overtorquing and causing leaks.

Might check and see if you can acquire one for your tranny.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:14 AM
Banned

Re: Gotta love freakin crappy gaskets!

I think what Scott meant to say was, the front seal of the tranny took a dump. There is no gasket between the tranny and engine. I could be wrong though. Scott can correct me if he'd like.

This tranny pan gasket sounds interesting though. William, care to share the info?
Old 07-11-2002, 06:37 AM
Administrator

That's what I get for reading the word gasket. Had I read the word seal, I would have known better. Sorry about that Scott. As soon as I read the words tranny and gasket, combined with falling apart, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

So, Scott, get under there and pop in a new seal.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:27 PM

I feel your pain Scott! Hopefully things will be put back together soon.

I spent a good portion of Monday afternoon attempting to remove the oil pan on my wifes Nissan Quest Van (she off-roaded in it & almost tore the oil pan off! ). It was a huge oily mess. After about 2 hrs & seeing what looked like I would need to raise the engine ~3" for clearance purposes, I threw in the towel. I really needed to get this thing going due to missed work for my wife & rental car fees.

After ~$290 in various parts, labor, towing & lost wages, I think she learned a lesson. I'd surely never damage my Jeep like that. LOL
Old 07-11-2002, 07:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Yeah, it was pointed out to me, that its not really a gasket, its a seal... HEHEHE.. Anyway.. Its goingn to be at least next week before I get to it. In the meantime, I gotta get used to driving my VW again LOL. Its definetly not a jeep. William, spill the beans on that tranny pan gasket though! Im defintely interested! Heck, I still need to buy a deep pan from good old Kilby Enterprises

Scott