Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-31-2002, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
I'll also throw my hat in the ring for the Oddesey - it is a fine battery and looks sexy and impressive under the hood.

Oh - sorry - I thought this was JU for a minute...

In all seriousness - I think the Oddesey is the best out there.

Jeff
Do you have a Super Duper air tube thingy that matches the battery? Pictures? (sorry!)
Old 08-31-2002, 11:28 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
I am a little confused. I am a big fan of the Odyssey battery and the reasons for it's existence. However, I read this whole thing and am trying to figure out why anyone would switch from a battery that lasted almost 4 years in one situation, almost 6 in another, and an equivalent term of lengthy service for Stu.

In all reality, the stock battery has only one drawback for most of our needs. It is a spillable battery and has a tendency to drip or pour acid.

You mean I didn't have to buy an Odyssey to remain a member in good standing of this board?

Actually, like I stated, I got one month shy of 6 years service out of my Red Top. I think I could even take it back for part of the pro-rated warranty.

I would've never replaced a newer or well working battery just to have a designer label, nor would I spend many times more money for more battery than I needed. In this instance, my battery died a sudden death and the price of the Odyssey was comparable to a new Yellow Top. I chose not to go with another Red Top, which served me well, so that I could use it with the Readywelder.

I'll be the first to admit that I purchased this battery over a Yellow Top solely on members of this board's recommendations. This has served me well before with the PC springs, RS9000 shocks, Warn hub conversion, etc. While I don't expect this new battery to have the same noticeable effect, I do consider it an upgrade for a few reasons:

- smaller, allowing easier install of 2nd battery for Readywelder if I so choose.

- top posts will allow me to easily connect/disconnect the winch

FWIW, I did have the stock battery leak acid onto the vacuum lines for my front axle in my old YJ, hence the switch to the Red Top.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:51 PM

How much more does the Odyssey 1700 cost over the 1200 and what has to be done to make it fit on a TJ's battery holder?
Old 08-31-2002, 07:51 PM

Well I will say the Excide orbital it is a yellow top with extra set of posts.

100 bucks at most auto stores
Scott
Old 08-31-2002, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
How much more does the Odyssey 1700 cost over the 1200 and what has to be done to make it fit on a TJ's battery holder?
The only modification needed is the lowering of the battery tray itself. The factory one is thin sheet metal with stamped ribs to provide rigidity and a formed edge for the same reason. The overall effect is to raise the battery up over a half an inch. If you cut that down to only an eighth with a piece of aluminum, the 1700 will then be able to slide under the edge of the fender. That allows enough clearance for the longer width between the reciever dryer and the fender side.

You should be able to compare prices on the website that was posted.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
Well I will say the Excide orbital it is a yellow top with extra set of posts.

100 bucks at most auto stores
Scott
And I say that a Taurus is a Continental in disguise. They are both made by Ford, right?
Old 09-01-2002, 08:42 AM

you got it Blaine,

but excide ( interstate ) bought optima 2 months before the release of the orbital. all specs show the same and looks are almost identical. also they ship from the same MFG site.

so I guess they could be a completeley different bread of the same horse.

Scott
Old 09-01-2002, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
you got it Blaine,

but excide ( interstate ) bought optima 2 months before the release of the orbital. all specs show the same and looks are almost identical. also they ship from the same MFG site.

so I guess they could be a completeley different bread of the same horse.

Scott
Did you know that Interstate also makes and markets the Continental brand of battery? About half the price of a good Interstate for the same size, specs are the same as far as CCA and similar reserve capacities.

Why would the same battery by them be that much cheaper if it was the same? I do understand that rarely does price reflect quality when it comes to brand name stuff, but since they are both delivered by the same truck, would they not be shooting themselves in the foot by offering the cheaper battery if it did in fact perform the same?

For that matter, why buy the expensive grades of tires offered by manufacturers? If the logic you offer is correct, then the cheaper grades are all the same as the upper grades and it is not necessary to buy the higher priced tires. We are not even talking the purchase of a company here. Same factory spitting out different priced tires.

Specs are the same, they hold up cars, they are round, black and have tread on them. In fact, many are nearly identical in appearance.