Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-20-2004, 10:02 PM

Less than $150.00 and pumps mucho air. Yea, not pretty or fancy like some set ups I've seen but works for me!! Pix at link below!

P.S. Stu, per usual good write up!!

Jim

My York

I'm not young enough to know everything!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:50 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Is it a small building down across from k&h metals. if so thats where i have been going for along time. he has a larger pump than most around here. I also had them do a hydro test on one of mine and he restamped it for me. Really nice guy. There is a fire extingusher shop next door to me but they have this little pump and they can never get it past 3/4 full and still the same price.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:04 AM

Thats him - his name is Rich. I guess we will see what the price is on the fill when I get the tank back. You aren't kidding about the pump size though
Old 07-22-2004, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to frhalevt
Stu,

Great write-up as usual.

I have been debating what type of OBA I wanted for some time now. I have considered engine driven yorks, electrics like the Quick Airs, and Powertanks. After much thought and research and the fact I like to tinker with my Jeep I decided on a York. Snagged a york off of a Volvo at a local junk yard and ordered the brackets and hardware from Kilby.

I have seen all three types of OBA in action and they ALL have their advantages and disadvantages. It comes down to which one you like the most IMHO.

I have noticed that many people are passionate about their opinions of OBA. Not sure why though.

Oh well.

Frank
Old 07-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by frhalevt

I have seen all three types of OBA in action and they ALL have their advantages and disadvantages. It comes down to which one you like the most IMHO.

I have noticed that many people are passionate about their opinions of OBA. Not sure why though.

Oh well.

Frank
The reason for the passion is that is it usually displayed after someone tries to take your very astute observation about like and dislike and then tries to convince you that your likes or dislike are wrong or unjustified because they feel differently.

Failing to understand that it does not matter how you think I should feel, but what really matters is how I actually feel.

The inverse is also true in that sometimes you will find that folks will take very pointed actual experience and then tell you that it either did not happen that way, or you have no reason to be bothered if it was a negative experience or you have no reason to be happy if it was a positive experience.

If you wish to see passion, try and convince me that my experiences don't count and I should ignore them.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:05 PM

it'll fit under the hood also but you gotta move the stock air cleaner

so far the tank hasnt been hit but i keep my eye on it.

its a great compressor, im very pleased with its performance.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

upnovr,

Which air manifold did you use? Is that one from Kilby or Powertank? (looks like the Powertank if I had to guess)
Old 07-25-2004, 06:16 PM

its the KE-AM6 manifold from kilby.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:04 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
for the record... I've hit mine but didn't puncture it. yet.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:56 AM

Stu, I've installed a couple of those Kilby manifolds. Decent little unit.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

They would seem to be. If I new how to use a lathe, I would have finished the one I am waiting on.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:38 AM

I have been running that compressor for over a year now, and it had been great...

It is REALLY tight under the hood of a V8 ZJ..

Old 07-26-2004, 05:28 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Wooders
Fair & valid points...
Engine drag - I'm not hugely focused on performance or I'd have strocked/forced inductioned/etc it....but yeah don't like the idea of giving up some either.
Tight engine compartment - yup - but not so bad a most new motors these days....
Expense - mate you need the joys of paying as much as the orguinal item in shipping then anothe 15% onto of both for import dutiess & taxes....oh yeah an a final $50 slap just for customs looking at it....oh yeah a bad exchange rate doesn't help either

Air volume - My TJ is going the AiRock way and as such would have a reasonable air volume requirement - besides wouldn't you rather more than less
Hi Wooders,

I have a little experience with the York OBA system and the requirements for high volume needed for the AiROCK system.

My York has been installed for more then four (4+) years now. The AiRock for 2.5 years.

I just checked my maintenance records. They say I have added a total of 3 ounces of oil in the four (4+) years I have had it installed. I have never had to change to coalescing filter and have never had to drain the filter bowl either. Three (3) ounces of oil is minuet when you conceder the rather high demands of the AiROCK system, and usually airing up at least 5 or 6 Jeep's at the end of each days run.

A tip for you if you install your own system Plumb the hot air from the York directly to your holding tank. Then take the air out of the tank to process and filter it. This helps the air cool down considerable and also condenses the little bit of oil in the air. It coats the inside of your steel tank and keeps it from rusting.

All in all for my set-up I wouldn't use anything else, but to each their own based on their own needs.

I do have an ARB compressor as well. It is cross plumbed into the York system. Should either have a problem all I do is throw two values under the hood and I am back in business.

As for engine load? I suppose Robert has a point. When the clutch is engaged it certainly does add additional load, but eventually that load goes away when pressure reaches the appropriate point. Then again, now that I am supercharged (which I never really needed) I don't really care.

Come to think of it, there is no room in my engine compartment. In truth it's hard to see the engine. But then again, there's no more room for hot air to build up either!

Frank

While some people swear by the added benefit of being able to run air tools with a York I have never had the need or desire to do so. Perhaps you may or may not yourself.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:43 PM

A question on the engine drag comment that I keep seeing. Are folks refering to drag of the clutch when the York is not engaged, or when it is engaged and running?
I'm not concerned about engine drag when the York is running, since I'm either at a standstill airing up (haven't worked out how to air up while on the move, it messes up my air hose when I try) and when the York occasionally comes on to fill my air-tank, it takes about 10 secs and I'm never in a situation where it would seem I need all the power my engine can provide.
Anyone care to clarify?

Thanks
David
Old 07-26-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi
A question on the engine drag comment that I keep seeing. Are folks refering to drag of the clutch when the York is not engaged, or when it is engaged and running?
I'm not concerned about engine drag when the York is running, since I'm either at a standstill airing up (haven't worked out how to air up while on the move, it messes up my air hose when I try) and when the York occasionally comes on to fill my air-tank, it takes about 10 secs and I'm never in a situation where it would seem I need all the power my engine can provide.
Anyone care to clarify?

Thanks
David
I will not begin to speak for others and their feelings.

Personnally, I feel that engine drag when the clutch is disengaged is not worth talking about. Probably less than when the alternator is working to recover for the headlights.

Concur that engine drag when the compressor is running is not an issue since I'm stopped at that point and airing something up. At least for me that's how it works since I don't rely on the York to power my air lockers.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi
Anyone care to clarify?

Thanks
David
I sure hope no one is worried about drag when the compressor is not working and the clutch is disengaged.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
I sure hope no one is worried about drag when the compressor is not working and the clutch is disengaged.
I hope so too, I've just seen the comment numerous times about Yorks sucking all the life out of the engine that I wondered... So why do you think people are concerned about it?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2

I just checked my maintenance records. They say I have added a total of 3 ounces of oil in the four (4+) years I have had it installed. I have never had to change to coalescing filter and have never had to drain the filter bowl either. Three (3) ounces of oil is minuet when you conceder the rather high demands of the AiROCK system, and usually airing up at least 5 or 6 Jeep's at the end of each days run.

Did you modify your York to reduce the oil consumption (tap and plug that hole behind the clutch)?

I havent, yet, and drain an ounce or so outta my filter bowl after every other wheeling trip.

IMO York OBA is similar to ARB lockers in that the install is EVERYTHING. Just say NO to Home Depot air line, barbed connectors and hose clamps! My OBA system would almost pass DOT compliance for a commercial air brake source

MP
Old 07-26-2004, 08:34 PM

Well I can say that my use of barbed 3/8" hose connections and hose clamps holding quality air hose onto the fittings hasn't hurt anything in the five years they've been installed. In fact, my system is so airtight that it holds its load of air for literally months.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:14 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
Did you modify your York to reduce the oil consumption (tap and plug that hole behind the clutch)?

I havent, yet, and drain an ounce or so outta my filter bowl after every other wheeling trip.

IMO York OBA is similar to ARB lockers in that the install is EVERYTHING. Just say NO to Home Depot air line, barbed connectors and hose clamps! My OBA system would almost pass DOT compliance for a commercial air brake source

MP
Hi Matt,

No I haven't done anything to address the oil consumption problem other then to start with a "re-manufactured" compressor from the start. I think it was $95. It supposedly came re-bored with new piston and ring and new reed valve body. I have never taken it apart to verify as I saw no need to.

By design, the York should not be blowing oil from the sump to the outlets. Think about it. The outlet is normally used to flow Freon (spelling?) for A/C. Having the separate oil sump was to keep the oil separate from the Freon. I don't think folks in the 80's and early 90's, or the truckers who still currently use this unit on the big rigs feed it oil after a good trip down the road.

I would thing oil consumption is an indicator that something is warn in the unit.

I have several friend who have the oil consumption problem. Each has eliminated the problem by going to a remanufactured unit. (please note there are re-built units too, but I don't believe they are the same as remanufactured.)

I also think there is something to be said about not restricting the air intake port to the York any more then is required to filter the air. I got this tip from Bard Kilby. While I haven't tested it myself, I do have my air intake coming from my engine air intake tube, downstream of the engine air filter using a 3/4-inch I.D. hose.

I think your observation on reliability is correct it is all about the installation. I use only Hydraulic hoses with pre threaded ends. And like Jerry's mine will hold air for a very long time without bleeding down. The only problem I had was a leak on the gasket to the coalescing filter right after I installed it. Turned out I pinched the "o" ring and simply replaced it.

I have seen the hose barbs work fine too. I just don't have any luck with them. I think my problem with them is I tighten the clamps down too tight in an effort to prevent leaks, which only causes them. I think I am worm clamp challenged.

Have a great day,

Frank
Old 07-27-2004, 09:57 AM

Well, well, well.....
What a York love fest we have going on here

While I can understand why folks running the Airock suspension have a need, I guess I am wondering what the rest of you are doing. Do you all really carry around airtools, hose and whatnot? How often are you using that stuff on the trail if you do carry it with you? If you aren't carrying or using all that stuff, then the York sure seems like a complicated way to air up a few tires.

I guess I have never found a need for air tools on the trail, or at least maybe I have been lucky enough not to have found a need for them yet. Heck, I don't even use my air tools in my garage all that often unless I'm in for a big job. Seems easier to grab the right socket and just get it done rather than fuss with hose and so forth.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Well, well, well.....
What a York love fest we have going on here

While I can understand why folks running the Airock suspension have a need, I guess I am wondering what the rest of you are doing. Do you all really carry around airtools, hose and whatnot? How often are you using that stuff on the trail if you do carry it with you? If you aren't carrying or using all that stuff, then the York sure seems like a complicated way to air up a few tires.

Mine runs air for my ARB's, airs up tires at the end of the day, and I set it up to blow air into the air-intake. Works like a poor man's supercharger..
Old 07-27-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
I carry an impact, and can use the impact to run the bottle jack, which alone makes a tire change on the trail a piece of cake.

My blow gun has been used a couple of times to clean stuff. I've used it to clean my air filter after a very dirty run before heading home on the highway

I also carry a die grinder. Besides the common uses, it also runs the air powered blender.

At the end of the day there's nothing better than a slushy cold one. fruit smoothies for the kids.
Margi's and Daquiris(sp) for those who wish to imbibe.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
Besides the common uses, it also runs the air powered blender.
Come on...you're pullin' my leg.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
Come on...you're pullin' my leg.
bunch of amateurs

I'm gonna get me one of these and some glow fuel and tune it up a bit.

http://www.blenderblaster.com/blenderblaster/
Old 07-27-2004, 07:03 PM

The bearing in my first blender did not like 20,000 RPM.
Keep forgetting to check yard sales for another.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:25 PM

I've seen it all, now

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
bunch of amateurs

I'm gonna get me one of these and some glow fuel and tune it up a bit.

http://www.blenderblaster.com/blenderblaster/

Hole...E...Cow! I don't believe it. Never heard of such a thing.

Yep, that's the cats-meow. The 4 cycle Honda powered GX25.

Bet that dude has a blower attachment too boot!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:03 AM

I have no need for a blender on the trail but if it gives you folks a nice warm fuzzy feeling about why you have your York, then have at it. Hell, you could make a blender using a spare starter motor which could be used as a trail spare but I guess that might make to much sense.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
I have the air blender but only use it on the overnight trips
Old 07-28-2004, 11:36 AM

You and your Matco Tool truck, er, I mean Scrambler don't count Kory You have alot more room and wheelbase in which to distribute weight.