Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Stu,

That sucks! Seeing your kid hurt is awfully difficult to handle. My little one cut the fleshy tip of his finger off to the bone and my wife and I were basket cases. Hopefully she'll have a speedy recovery.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:10 PM

Stu;
Sorry to hear that. I hope she will be ok. I'll probably be around most of the weekend if you decide to go for it. I have a 17 yr old here; so they could play video games or swim.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 08-11-2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Eric,

Give me a chance to sort things out here and I'll get back to you with an answer as to my coming over to install the pump.

I just got off of the telephone with my wife. She was informing me that she has decided to fly to Minneapolis on Friday (I think it was Friday).

Our oldest daughter was hit by a city transit bus while crossing the street on her way to work this past Friday. She was knocked unconsious for about 15 to 20 minutes and was hospitalized for about 6 hours. She is now home but things are not going as hoped....she can not stand long enough to walk around the apartment without getting dizzy and falling down. As such, simple tasks like making lunch, etc. are very difficult. So, my Mrs. is heading up to help her for a couple of weeks. That leaves me with our 16 yr. old.

So let me talk to Donna tonight and figure out just what is happening over this upcoming weekend.

Just when you think you have things under control, something comes along and proves you wrong.
Stu,
your daughter has my prayers for full recovery.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:40 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Stu,
your daughter has my prayers for full recovery.
same here stu.. i hope all works out well for your daughter.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 08-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Thanks for the well wishes for my oldest. I'll have Donna convey them to her. She has the worst luck in crosswalks. 2 years ago in Chicago, she was the victim of a hit and run. Luckily, the truck only ran over her feet.

Eric,
It looks good for Saturday if you still want to wrench. We'll have to let the TJ cool down for a bit when I get there as it will have warmed up the engine compartment on the drive to your place. I'll pick up the parts either tomorrown night after work or Saturday AM on the way to your house.

I'll give you a call tomorrow evening and set up a time for Saturday and get directions.

Edit: Found out my 16 yr old is staying with her girlfriend so no problems there.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:16 PM

Stu - my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - I hope your daughter gets well soon.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2004, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes for my oldest. I'll have Donna convey them to her. She has the worst luck in crosswalks. 2 years ago in Chicago, she was the victim of a hit and run. Luckily, the truck only ran over her feet.

Eric,
It looks good for Saturday if you still want to wrench. We'll have to let the TJ cool down for a bit when I get there as it will have warmed up the engine compartment on the drive to your place. I'll pick up the parts either tomorrown night after work or Saturday AM on the way to your house.

I'll give you a call tomorrow evening and set up a time for Saturday and get directions.

Edit: Found out my 16 yr old is staying with her girlfriend so no problems there.
OK buddy. Keep us posted on your daughter's progress and don't forget to ring me. If you want; get here early, park the Jeep in the garage, and we'll head up to Discount for a few minutes for the Jeep show. That will give the Jeep time to cool off.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:10 AM

Stu, sorry to hear about your daughter. Your family has our best wishes and hopes.

[medical-hat-on]
She is displaying typical signs of a concussion, albeit a serious one. The symptoms usually taper off and completely disappear over a few days.

If they do not taper off, or if they worsen (like dizziness, vomiting, lethargy, excessive sleeping, or worsening headache) then I'd suggest additional follow-up....without procrastination.

[medical-hat-off]

Good luck and keep us posted on things.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Darell,
Thanks for the info and well wishes. I'll let my Mrs. know.

Eric,
That sounds like a good idea. Killing a bit of time at Discount while the engine cools down will be a good use of time. I shall call you tonight and work out the details.

Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:03 PM

I've been running a simple, small (two loops), tube and fin cooler for a couple of years and by ps box and pump stay pretty cool.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 08-15-2004, 11:49 PM

Stu;
How'd you make out? Any news from what you told me Sat. on your daughter?
Old 08-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

This is a crazy thread......

OK, the water pump is in. I had so much fun doing it, I did it twice. The 1st time was a practice run so I could see just how much it would leak if I missed cleaning a small area of the sealing surface. The 2nd time was after pulling the radiator shroud so I could better clean the surface.

As for my daughter, it would seem her initial trip to the ER left something to be desired. Yes, she as a concusion but we have now also found that she has a crack in her skull. Why the ER folks never bothered to look for it is beyond me. She has since had a catscan which revealed the crack and they are monitoring for any pressure build up, etc. She spent yesterday in the ER too. He back went into spasms and would not stop. Donna was afraid of a pinched nerve or ruptured disc, etc. A full scan revealed the bones and discs were OK and it is all soft tissue damage so some therapy is being perscribed.

The good news is that Donna and Mel's boyfriend did get her moved into her new apartment during all of this so that is one thing she does not have to worry about.

Donna finally got a chance to see the police report. She was not hit by a city transit bus but rather a tour bus.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:24 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

wow, man... i hope she is ok after all of this. if nothing else, she certainly should have a nice nest eggg..
but the crack in the skull stuff doesnt sound nice.
she will be in my prayers, stu.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 08-16-2004, 08:27 AM

Stu,

BTDT on a water pump... I feel for ya.

Regarding your daughter. I'm a bit surprised they didn't perform simple skull x-rays with blunt head trauma that resulted in loss of consciousness for that long. A slip-up on their part IMO.

Do you know where the skull fracture is? Front, back or side? It's very difficult to fracture the front of the skull due to it's sheer thickness. The rear portion (Occipital area) is somewhat easier, but most commonly it's the side (Temporal region) that suffers injury because it's the thinnest, flattest, and has the most surface area.

I ask because if it's the side of the skull, the middle meningeal artery runs directly beneath the temporal skull plate and is itself prone to injury in temporal skull fractures. All the more reason to closely monitor your daughter for worsening symptoms. Rest is the key for the first several days.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Hi Darrell,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes water pumps so much! LOL

Thankyou for the info in regards to my daughter's injuries. I too am left wondering why her initial tript to the ER did not result in x-rays. Someone needs a refresher course, IMO.

I just spoke with her a few minutes ago. Mom was driving her to the neurologist (sp) for her appointment. She said she got a lot of rest yesterday and slept well last night and felt better today than she has since the accident, so I'll take that as a good sign.

I did not ask Donna where the fracture was located. I shall attempt to do so the next time I speak with her.

In regards to the accident itself, Donna said the report included statements from a couple of eye witnesses. It would seem that the bus impacted her hard enough to flip her up into the air and she landed on her head (hence the fracture) and was then knocked out. Makes we wonder what the bus driver was doing....obviously not looking for people in the crosswalk that he was turning into.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:11 AM

Stu,Stu,Stu....
I tried to throw you suttle hints that my garage and tools are somewhat special. I have the whole Binford Collection and it's autographed by Tim himself.

It sounds like your daughter is holding her own thus far, which is what we all had hoped for. There's nothing like having family there during these times. I hope and pray that she continues to improve. Hang in there; Stu!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Hi Darrell,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes water pumps so much! LOL
Yep, my first water pump catastrophe was swapping one out in the late '70's on my '67 Cougar. That car was a work of art when I got it. Mechanical and electrical problems to no end...the radio wouldn't play unless you opened the driver's door. LOL

Quote:

Thankyou for the info in regards to my daughter's injuries. I too am left wondering why her initial tript to the ER did not result in x-rays. Someone needs a refresher course, IMO.

You're welcome

Stu, you can do what you wish in this regard. I've no doubt you're primary concern is your daughter and her rapid recovery. But the basic facts are an auto vs pedestrian with positive loss of consciousness warrants skull films. Missing a skull fracture in this case is a mistake I wouldn't expect from a first year resident...let alone an ED attending physician.

Quote:

I just spoke with her a few minutes ago. Mom was driving her to the neurologist (sp) for her appointment. She said she got a lot of rest yesterday and slept well last night and felt better today than she has since the accident, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Most definitely take that as a good sign.

Quote:

I did not ask Donna where the fracture was located. I shall attempt to do so the next time I speak with her.

I did not wish to cause alarm, and I hope I haven't. I provided the info simply to allow you and Donna to have some knowledge and an index of suspicion should your daughters condition deteriorate. Thankfully, that sounds like it is not the case, as she is feeling better.

Quote:

In regards to the accident itself, Donna said the report included statements from a couple of eye witnesses. It would seem that the bus impacted her hard enough to flip her up into the air and she landed on her head (hence the fracture) and was then knocked out. Makes we wonder what the bus driver was doing....obviously not looking for people in the crosswalk that he was turning into.
That sounds like a significant impact. If you have any questions as things progress, feel free to PM me. However, I expect she'll do fine from this point forward.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Darrell,

I spoke with my wife a little bit ago and checked on how things were going. My daughter saw a the neurologist today and also her primary care physician. Both were satisfied with her recent improvement. The primary care physician told her to she will be home another week from work. Rest and some therapy for her back was provided. The headaches are become less intense and less frequent and Melanie sounded very good while I spoke with her on the phone. I did inquire as to where the fracture was....she indicated it was about half way up the back of her head, a little off center to her left side.

Melanie has obtained some legal assistance via a contact from her biological mother (my ex-wife). Donna said he seems to have his ducks in a row and will be taking care of things.

Thanks again for helping with info and such. It makes it easier to work through these kind of issues.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Back to the power steering cooler

I stopped by the local AutoZone today (the big PepBoys performance store only had empty shelves were the coolers were suppose to be). I picked up a Hayden Ultra-cool tranny cooler. Not quite what I wanted but the low $20ish price was OK. It is the smallest one they make in that style, about 5x12" or there about if I remember correctly. It came with a bag of fittins and some hose so that should work OK.

Next question....where to splice the cooler in to the return line hoses? I'll have a T fitting where the return line from the gear boxd and the hydroboost meet up and go back to the low pressure side of the pump. Logic says it would go there. If I had to guess, I am thinking I'll most likely be generating more heat in the gear box. Also, plumbing the cooler into the gear box's return line will logistically be easier since the gear box and the cooler will be in very close proximity to each other (compared to the hyroboost or the T connector for the joint returns.

Am I on the right track here?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:20 AM

Stu, I hope everything works out with your daughter, and she recovers fully.

I'm looking forward to the steering cooler write-up on your site!
"ALIEN" <>< Heb. 11:13

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 08-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Doing much better.

I spoke with both Melanie and Donna this evening. She says she is feeling much better. Mom's version is that she is getting better. Some headaches yet but much less pain than before. Still working on getting her back into shape but even that has stopped with the intense pain she had during the weekend. I think she will be cleared to go back to work next week.

Thanks to everyone that had prayers and good thoughts for Melanie....I've no doubt that they all helped her through this very uncomfortable time.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:24 PM

"Ooh good news, good news!!!"

What TV series did that come from? Anyone?