Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed

Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed Enter at your own risk. This is the land of political discussions, jokes, and nonsense posts.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Back to business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weston View Post
p.s. Cassens, 40?
Yeah - screw you Weston!

I hit the big one on March 11....sign....we had a little shindig at a local bar that our wives rented for the night. Our guitar player and one of my best friends also turned 40 in January. We jammed with some of our musical friends - Phil Alvin of the Blasters showed up at did 2 hours with us - it was truely one of the coolest times I've ever had.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...e11/Philsm.jpg

It was pretty cool to have roughly $130K worth of vintage instruments on stage that night.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

You look like Bun Carlos from Cheap Trick hittin' the skins.

http://gingrichphotography.bizland.c...bunecarlos.jpg

And is that Jon Voight on lead vocals? http://upload.moldova.org/movie/acto...n-voight-6.jpg

I envy guys like you who can make music. Looks like fun!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM

http://www.hightone.com/images/alvinp01.jpg

That's Phil Alvin

Phil Alvin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Phil Alvin (born March 6, 1953 in Downey, California) is an American singer and guitarist. He is known primarily as the frontman of the roots-rock band The Blasters

Alvin grew up in Downey, California in a music-loving family where he and his younger brother Dave were exposed to blues,rockabilly, and country. Inspired and influenced by the music they grew up with, Phil and Dave formed the rock and roll band The Blasters in the late 1970s with fellow Downey residents Bill Bateman and John Bazz. The group released five albums between 1980 and 1985. While never achieving mass market success in commercial terms, their recordings and concerts drew critical respect and a cult following across the United States and Europe .

In 1986, after The Blasters had disbanded, Alvin released a solo album, Un "Sung" Stories and returned to graduate school to pursue a master's degree in mathematics and artificial intelligence. He eventually earned his Ph.D. from UCLA.

In the late 1980s he reconvened The Blasters, albeit without Dave Alvin (who chose instead to focus on a solo career). In 1994, he released a second solo album, County Fair 2000. In 2005, under Alvin's leadership, the revised configuration of The Blasters released a much anticipated studio album, 4-11-44, after more than a decade of touring.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 AM

Are you guys done hijacking Kat's thread?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Are you guys done hijacking Kat's thread?
Why yes, yes they are.