Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-24-2002, 07:42 PM
AA reject

Suggestions on a lift for a 01 TJ

I recently took my future brother-n-law wheeling and he has a 01 TJ. He has now been bitten by the off road bug. He wants to lift it and run 33's. I would like some opinions on what lift would be best to help guide him in the best direction. I will most likely be helping with the install. It seems pretty much the same underneath the TJ as my ZJ is. I was thinking a RE kit, but am not sure what size lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

97 ZJ 8.0" lift, Armed and plated "short bus".
Old 01-25-2002, 06:54 AM
Reggae

I recommend leaving it stock – much more fun this way, and easier on the wallet. Just slap some 31” tires (if he hasn’t got them under there yet), and he is good to go almost anywhere.

That is unless your brother-in-law wants to play on the hardest of the trails. In that case there is no bolt on kit that is complete, they all suck one way or another.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 01-25-2002, 08:22 AM
Banned

I agree with TO, unless he's wanting to tackle the 1% - 5% of the toughest stuff, a budget boost and 31" or 32" tires will get him anywhere else.

Otherwise, he should really determine what type of trail he really wants to do, and build for that (i.e., super articulating suspension, or lockers, or both). First thing though, I'd armor it, with rocker guards, steering box skid and a good gas tank skid plate. I think the type of trail should dictate the type of tire/lift, and in my opinion there doesn't seem to be one manufacturer that gives you everything you need for every type of trail

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 01-25-2002, 08:47 AM

Chris,
You got some reasonable advice here - 33's on a TJ really will not get you any farther than 31's will. Personally, I would have him slap on a spacer kit with longer shocks and then start working on armor. Once he wheels it a bit, then he can start looking at traction devices. Then if he decides he wants to get into running the Hammers and so forth, he really won't be out much money and then he can build to 35's. I ran 33's for almost 2 years and really, while I did the Hammers on them, the Jeep wasn't big enough and I suffered damage for it - but the 33's gave me nothing more for running John Bull and the like than the 31's I used to run. I have had 3 different lifts on my Jeep and its probably cost me a grand or so more than if I had stuck with the spacer lift until I was ready to run 35's.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's

Old 01-25-2002, 09:15 AM

I don't go with the 31s are as good as 33s bull****. An inch is an inch and 33s will go all over Moab where 31s are hanging up and limiting trails. This is also true here in NV and AZ where I have wheeled.
The thing is, to run 33s takes lots of mods where 31s don't. Also the mods that will get you 33s will usually get you 35s.
I agree 31s are probably all he needs but don't be thinking they are as good as 33s. I don't know many people that are happy with 31s.
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 01-25-2002, 11:00 AM

You missed the point I was making Ron - that he can mildly outfit the Jeep, wheel it and then decide what he wants to do with it without spending a bunch of cash. If he wants to run the Hammers, he needs 35's and not 33's (personal experience on that one) and if he doesn't, then he can go from there, particularly if what he wants is looks. But wheeling it first and then deciding how much you want to get into it is a sound way to go so you don't waste cash by doing mods 2 and 3 times.

As for the 31's vs 33's issue, you can run 33's on a small lift with the stock control arms but I guarantee you that you cannot reasonably run 35's on that same lift on the Hammers with any confidence. That lift with 33's though will get you all over Big Bear and so forth if thats all you want to do.

As for people not liking the 31's, I think its a looks thing as well as people using lift instead of other engineering solutions to deal with problems. There is no reason why you can't run a belly up and raised gas tank on a spacer lift and 31's - that makes your Jeep the same as 33's except under the diffs and shock mounts and you drag your diffs and shock mounts with 33's anyways.

98 TJ Sport

Old 01-25-2002, 11:13 AM

The first thing I did was armour. I picked what I knew at the time in armour, and it worked out well, but there is even better armour available now.

Protect it, then lift it.

William "Unless you're William" Karstens
AKA
"I'm not Bill"
Old 01-25-2002, 11:36 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

The first thing I did was armour

And we were darn glad that he got that armour too!

The above pic is where William gleaned his William "Unless you're William" Karstens moniker!

In the near future I'm going to build a thingy for the back of my Jeep and carry more stuff.
http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 01-25-2002, 11:57 AM

Heh, that sure is a nice bumper that rock is resting on

98 TJ Sport

Old 01-25-2002, 12:50 PM
Banned

Just to clarify what I wrote, I'm not saying 31s are as good as 33s (or vice versa for that matter). It depends on what you want to do with the Jeep. There are plenty of 33" - 35" tires on Jeeps that certainly don't NEED them, and it probably cost the guy more to get there than he needed to spend (especially if he did it "right"). I think it's better to shop for a lift and tire based on the trail you want to tackle rather than a lift kit based on the size of tire you want to run (unless you know that tire size to be minimal for the type of trail).

33" tires do offer more ground clearance than 31" tires, but to say 33" tires are better because of that is a never-ending way to look at things. 35" tires offer more clearance than 33", but that doesn't mean they're better, unless you need them to tackle that last 1% - 5% of trails.

Also, if a person ever thinks they'll need 35" tires, they might as well plan out what it takes to get there and do it, instead of planning for 33" tires and having to re-do stuff. 31" tires is a point where very little (none) money has to be spent before you have to start deciding if you're not able to keep up with the type of trails you want to try

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 01-25-2002, 12:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert J. Yates:
Heh, that sure is a nice bumper that rock is resting on

[/quote]
Actually Robert,

(And I get the jab) the problem there (aside from missing a locker or two.. yuk yuk) is that I was hung up on my tomken rocker skids. Now that I have the awesome (yet to be smashed), Sun Preformance skids, I don't think that that line would be an issue.

AKA
"I'm not Bill"
Old 01-25-2002, 01:01 PM

Just taking a friendly swipe there William - its plenty clear that you have other problems going on in that pic

98 TJ Sport
Old 01-25-2002, 03:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris L:
I recently took my future brother-n-law wheeling and he has a 01 TJ. He has now been bitten by the off road bug. He wants to lift it and run 33's. I would like some opinions on what lift would be best to help guide him in the best direction. I will most likely be helping with the install. It seems pretty much the same underneath the TJ as my ZJ is. I was thinking a RE kit, but am not sure what size lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

97 ZJ 8.0" lift, Armed and plated "short bus".[/quote]

Ok, I understand what you guys are saying. I don't believe you can run 33s and articulate much without more than 3" of lift. More than 3" of lift/and or belly up equals SYE. SYE equals adjustable control arms for the rear and some other goodies.
If your friend wants 33s he is going to have to pay about the same amount as he would if he goes to 35s. He will have the same axle strength concerns but not as much with 33s.
If he wants 33s he will not be happy with anything less. Pay once or pay a bunch of times like the rest of us. We all know bigger tires get you more places. Who's to say this guy won't be a
Rock Crawlin' Fool?
So, I'd say go with the best RE 4"+ lift he can afford or learn more about lifts and put the pieces together. There is plenty of advise here for the later.
Robert, there is more out there than the Hammers and John Bull Trail. Some places and most "Events" demand at least 33" tires.
Of coarse, learning on smaller tires is good!
Bulldog Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 01-25-2002, 04:12 PM
AA reject

Thanks for all the great input guys. This is very helpful. Keep em coming!

Old 01-25-2002, 04:20 PM

chris havent you figured it out yet , this is the hammer and 35" tire club with deep pockets so if you dont own the above then dont apply

back street boys rule
Old 01-25-2002, 06:13 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Hey pimp....don't forget the ARBs in that mix too! Geez!

The ONLY cabana boy in this community who has won a raffle!
http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 01-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Just a little perspective.

I built a jeep (TJ) with 33's, locked front and rear, armored as needed, 4" of good lift, parts all working together.

I went wheelin nearly every weekend, and sometimes more for 18 months. Generally, right behind me, was a little black Jeep on 31's, no lockers, a little armor, stock shocks, budget boost, and little else.

He went everywhere I went. Everywhere I went, he went. We did every trail we could find, Big Bear, Los Coyotes, Cleghorn, we ran the tires off of those two jeeps.

At the end of it, the only way I could leave him behind was to step up to 35's and the more extreme trails.

What Ron is not mentioning about Moab, is he is doing the top 5 percent trails there also. I have been there and a stock Cherokee on 31's went everywhere I did.

Take out the top 10 percent of the trails, and 33's are the poorest choice of a tire size there is. Either learn how to drive on 31's and a Budget Boost, or go straight to 35's. Do not stop in the middle. It is a waste of time, money, and good rubber to land there.

The pimp is on 33's, but the truth is, his jeep will not go anywhere now that his other one on 31's wouldn't.

My best advice is to go with the 31's, Budget Boost, some correct armor, stock bumpers to keep the weight down, correct shocks, and go wheel the thing until he figures out how hard he wants to play.

Get with some of us and find out which armor will not have to be changed out if he does decide to go bigger later on. We will be glad to show and tell as necessary.

You are just another ride in the amusement park of my mind.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:52 PM

You guys have seemed to miss the key phrase in his post. He wants 33s.
It's still bullpucky. 33s will take you places 31 will not. If an inch can hang up 33s where 35s can clear, in inch can hang up 31s where 33s will clear. You can find just as many if not more of those "inches" on trails besides the "hammers".
The top trails Blaine is talking about in Moab are rarely done on 31s but done all the time on 33s. This is true in a lot of places I've been. Actually I think the difference between 35s and 33s is less than 33s and 31s.
Robert did some Hammers trails on 33s. Could he do those trails on 31s? I don't think so.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Ro

Old 01-25-2002, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Ron, what size are your tires and why?

Old 01-25-2002, 09:41 PM

Now you've done it!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pimp:
chris havent you figured it out yet , this is the hammer and 35" tire club with deep pockets so if you dont own the above then dont apply

back street boys rule[/quote]

The Pimp has his own place to play and is restricted from posting in the regular forum. I don't know you; I don't want to know you and you are not funny. Be yourself here or don't be here.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:
Ron, what size are your tires and why?

[/quote]

My tires are 35s 'cause you talked me into them.

Actually, I figured seeing as how 33s were better than 31s, 35s would be better than 33s. I was right. I really didn't have to do much to go up a notch so I figured, why not? I could go back to 33s in a heart beat but I would never go to 31s.
How come you have 37s?

Old 01-26-2002, 07:17 AM
AA reject

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pimp:

back street boys rule[/quote]

Hmmm....apparently your not part of the club?

"The pimp is on 33's, but the truth is, his jeep will not go anywhere now that his other one on 31's wouldn't."

Old 01-26-2002, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Ron- I am on 37's for several reasons. It's not that the 35's quit working well for me in the slightest. I got a special deal on a set of tires, America's Tire was kind enough to Warranty them, I had always planned to do a suspension re-design, and I wanted a HP in the rear for a long time.

Everything all came together at the same time.

Mainly, I like to tinker with suspension, I like to weld, I like jeeps, I like figuring things out, (rightly or wrongly), and finally, just because I could.

I have a goal with my jeep, and that is to see how low I can keep it with the biggest tire size feasible.

How long did you spend on 31's?

Old 01-26-2002, 08:53 AM

I bought my Jeep with 33s. A lift and 33s was on my short list of options when I shopped for my Jeep. Most of my Jeep experience was with my son and his friend. My son had 31s and was constantly stuck, turned back, and/or prohibited from continuing on many trails his friend, with a Samurai and 33s, could do. When I bought my Jeep with 33s he could not keep up and prayed for the day he could get 33s. He now has them and he, his friend and I can go just about any where we want. Lockers are the only thing that seperates us.

My whole point here is, when it comes to clearance more is better. More clearance opens not only more trails but many new lines that just can't be done on 31s. 35s open lines that can't be done on 33s. I'm sure you're going to have a ball doing different lines on the Hammers with your 37s. You guys say the biggest breaking point is at 31 inches. I say it's 33 inches. My wheeling is not limited to Southern California.
Another question. If you were going to Moab, the Rubicon or to the Phoenix area or any where you haven't been, would you rather be on 31s or 33s?
The only good thing about 31s is it's a cheap way to go. Who is happy with 31s that wheels much? I don't know anyone. I truly believe if this friend of Chris's goes for 31s he will be wishing he went straight to at least 33s. Didn't most of you guys? Again don't most of the big events require 33s for the more fun difficult trails?
Ron

Old 01-26-2002, 11:08 AM
AA reject

Good points made by all. He has just bought some disco's, and I will suggest the Budget boost and longer shocks for now. I will be selling my 32's, and see if he is interested. Sounds like a good way to start, not too expensive, and he can get some decent wheeling in before making a decision on a full suspension set up.

Old 01-26-2002, 12:37 PM

Gee Chris, just out of curiosity, how come you're selling your 32s. Going to 31s?
Ron

Old 01-26-2002, 01:32 PM
AA reject

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
Gee Chris, just out of curiosity, how come you're selling your 32s. Going to 31s?
Ron

_I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!_[/quote]

Ron--
I am going to at least 35's. Unfortunately means front and rear axle swap's for my bus. When I bought the 32 inch ssr's, shortly after I wish I had the 33's. So I figured just skip that "extra step" of wasting money.

Old 01-26-2002, 01:52 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris L:

Ron--
I am going to at least 35's. Unfortunately means front and rear axle swap's for my bus. When I bought the 32 inch ssr's, shortly after I wish I had the 33's. So I figured just skip that "extra step" of wasting money.

97 ZJ 8.0" lift, Armed and plated "short bus".[/quote]

Good Thinking!
Your buddy may find some used shocks to go with those tires. He will probably want some bump stops also to save his fenders. Some spring spacers would be nice also. You might ask in the swap/want section.
Ron

Old 01-30-2002, 10:09 AM
Banned for being bad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:
1-Don, why do you know what is needed to run 35's?

( YOU SHOWED ME WHAT I NEEDED AND MADE A LIST FOR ME)

2-How do you know you are unable to afford them at this point in time?

( I DON'T )

3-If you could afford 35's and the associated hardware, would you run them?

( YES )

4-Have you ever been wheelin in Johnson Valley?

( NO ) WELL SORTA AND I GOT STUCK ON THE BYPASS ROAD ( DID NOT RUN THE REAL TRAILS )

5-The parts you sold Robert, what were they for? The parts you sold me, what were they for?

( THE CONTROL ARMS FOR ROBERT WAS FOR HIS TRIP TO THE RUBICON I THINK )

( THE SPRINGS WERE FOR KATHERN )

6-Why are you on 33's?

( THEY LOOK COOL )

7-You ran JB on 30's, and 33's, did you make it both times?

( YES )

CRIS IM SORRY FOR MY COMMENTS, I DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND YOU AND I WAS WRONG.

IM SORRY AS WELL TO EVERYONE ELSE HERE ON JEEPBBS.

BUT YOU CAN BITE ME BEAN BOY

I too have wheeled on 4 different versions of lifts, stock tires, 31's, 33's, 2 set of 35's, and can tell you which ones are needed for which trails in the area we wheel in and a few others from Moab to the Rubicon.

The bottom line is that if you stay off of the top 10 percent of the trails, you don't need more than 31's, and a properly equipped jeep to do them.

Why does that offend you so much?

answers here-

1-The reason you know, is because you and I have discussed doing that very thing to your jeep about 50 times. As a matter of fact, that topic comes up anytime we get together.

2-Because we have priced out each and every component needed to put your jeep on 35's. We have discussed how to do it, where to do it, and compiled a list of parts to pre-purchase as money allowed.

3-See above, 1 and 2, why all the questions and conversation about 35's' if that were not your intentions at some point in time?

4- Do I need to have Kat dig up the pics for you?

5- They were RE arms that you were collecting to start on your way to 35's. Part of the list you and I compiled. Also included a set of 4" springs which you were kind enough to sell me to get me out of a bind.

6- You are on 33's because that was the best you could do at the time with what what you had to do it with. We all make compromises, we all do the best we can. You chose 33's when you had the shop in SD do your lift. You made the decision based on the lift you could afford at the time. No harm, no foul.

7- I was there both times, Yes, you did make it quite handily both times.

No one is holding anything over your head. It's not until you start poking at stuff, that things get out of hand. Your comment to Chris was and is out of line. I admit when I am wrong, now it's your turn to do the same.

_You are just another ride in the amusement park of my mind._[/quote]

01 Sport, Auto, BACK STREET BOYS RULE, Silverstone ,IDE RULES, D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 ,Harry B Sux, Tera S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, Currie steering damper, Bilstein Shocks, GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 11:31 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don Palese:
BUT YOU CAN BITE ME BEAN BOY [/quote]

I don't get it, what did I have to do with this Don?

AKA
"I'm not Bill"