Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

View Poll Results: Keep the YJ, or get a TJ with the options I want?
You fool! Keep the YJ, and build it up! 4 25.00%
Go for it! Save the time and hassle, spend alittle, get the TJ of your desire 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2002, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

I just checked my dictionary and you did spell the word "that" correctly.
LMAO!!! Really!!! It fell off on the floor. My wife was wondering what the heck happened because it apparently rolled into the hallway. Luckily, she's a doctor and has experience in these matters. Sewed it back on in no time becasue she's done it before.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeper

LMAO!!! Really!!! It fell off on the floor. My wife was wondering what the heck happened because it apparently rolled into the hallway. Luckily, she's a doctor and has experience in these matters. Sewed it back on in no time becasue she's done it before.

Well, you did ask if you spelled "that" right.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:35 PM

'Night all!

Jeeper
Old 07-12-2002, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Dammit you guys! I have like 23 e-mails in my inbox, GUESS WHAT THEY ARE!
Old 07-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeper

'Night all!

Jeeper
Old 07-12-2002, 09:11 PM
Reggae

He he he, Great tread! Any way, I just wanted to pop up and say that the story mrblaine narrated twelve posts ago is completely accurate.

We were a group of three jeeps spending a typical March weekend in Johnson Valley. Eager to try something new I wanted to do the Jackhammer trail. Little did I know that Jack is a triple-headed monster: the very technical part up the waterfalls, animal fear section of the double climb on top of the mountain, and brutal downhill amongst piles of giant rocks of all sizes.

Close to the end of the trail, there was an obstacle that I wouldn?t do again for all the whiskey in the Ireland, as long as it stays as I remember it: a hungry hole the height of a two-story apartment building on the left, a wall on the right, and a rocky descent in the middle, about 75% wide of what would make a jeeper comfortable.

I won?t go into technical and emotional details, but hammering down was involved, and how the jeep stayed in one piece could not be described in English.

So what do we do after we finnished Jack? We run Sledge. And get this: I am driving over nothing. Park avenue. CAVOK. Smooth sailing. And then. Bam-Kaboom-Kamlemo!!! The pieces fly high in the air. The hub has exploded following U-Joint failure...
Old 07-12-2002, 10:30 PM

Quote:

You have illustrated a near perfect cyber scenario to validate your stance, and demonstrated the ability to construct sentences consisting of verbage other than monosyllabic building blocks. It is nice to view your highly verbose modification of the Boy Scout motto with the modifier to be that if one can forsee circumstance that you are not prepared for, that the better part of valor that day may well be mowing the lawn.

Let me put forth a counter scenario that I have been involved in personally that may shed a contradictory shade of view out of your rose colored lenses. Whilst traversing a highly difficult and hair raising portion of one of our more notorious recreational venues, one of my friends committed a driving blunder that resulted in a chance meeting with a rock outcropping and his left front wheel under power. For all intents and purposes, the damage was negligible and limited to a minor scuff to the tread area of the tire and an intense desire to have some upholstery removed from his nether regions. All is well. We then decide that since we have finished in such a timely manner it is only fitting that we reward ourselves with attempting another of these fine trails, only one considerably less strenuous and difficult to negotiate. During this excursion, my friend executes a fairly innocuous maneuver consisting of a slight grade and a slight turn to the left requiring minimal throttle to accomplish. In the midst of this, the left front univeral joint decided that it will no longer be abused and expressed this by exploding itself and in the process passing enough shock load along the componentry that the manual locking hub then achieves the same sympathetic state.

This is very funny. You almost sound like a police officer on TV.

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 07-13-2002, 03:42 AM

mrblaine and jeeper, I understand your point about unpredictable and unanticipated events, often due to cumulative wear on the machinery. As they say in Spain, mierda pasa.

Of course, the very same thing can occur not just on the trail, but in an urban setting as well, and you could find yourself late at night with a broken jeep in a not so fine neighborhood, and maybe you left your cell phone at home............................you can see where this can also lead to an unpleasant outcome.

I have no doubt that the type of trail conditions you seek out are considerably more arduous than those I encounter. And, in my travels, if I come across mudpits or obstacles that I think my 99SE (stock, except for 30" treads) is going to have difficulty with, then I just head another direction. And, although I have owned a Jeep for only 3 years, I have yet to be left stuck in the woods. The Jeep is low in mileage, and it has never been pushed really hard. The chances of mechanical failure are, in my opinion, minimal.

Sure, there is always the possiblity that I will break something I won't be able to fix. But I can tell you right now, with the experience of over 20 years of motorcycle riding behind me, both on and off road, you are one heck of a lot safer in a Jeep than on a bike in any conceivable situation known to man. And if I had to choose between getting stranded on the trail or being broken down in the city (which could happen to anyone regardless of what kind of vehicle you own or mechanical expertise of the driver), then I would much prefer to take my chances in the outback.
I think that the two of you approach this sport from the perspective of purists, which is not at all a bad thing. When in college I played varsity tennis, and those of us on the team were always a bit annoyed by those weekend tennis players who would occupy our courts, and barely be able to keep the ball in play for more than 3 seconds. I can relate to that.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Instaurare
mrblaine and jeeper.
I think that the two of you approach this sport from the perspective of purists, which is not at all a bad thing. When in college I played varsity tennis, and those of us on the team were always a bit annoyed by those weekend tennis players who would occupy our courts, and barely be able to keep the ball in play for more than 3 seconds. I can relate to that.
Rather than purist, how about experienced? I have seen the most simple part really ruin the day of a very experienced jeeper. I am also slightly offended that you even think that I look down my nose at anyone with a jeep that takes it offroad.

I am one of the more openminded individuals that exists when it comes to what people want to do with their vehicles.

An example- If you were to take just about any group of enthusiasists and eavesdrop on the conversations when they assemble, you would find that they are just like we are when we get together.

They talk about the latest products. The last run they went on. Their most and least favorite shop, store, competitor, or even whether or not they agree with competition in and of itself. They look over and admire or pick on each others vehicles. They show off their latest mod. In the group you will have some that are new, some that are older, and some that just show up once in awhile.

This holds true be it a group of lowered hondas, monster trucks, motorcycles, skateboarders, hot rods, old trucks, you name it. It is just the dress code, manner of speaking, and the sheetmetal that changes. Not much else.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:58 AM

I wouldn't say that I'm a Purist. Rather, I have two hobbies that I enjoy and both benefit from each other. One is working on my Jeep, the other is using it.

Jeeper
Old 07-13-2002, 08:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrblaine
[B]

Rather than purist, how about experienced? I have seen the most simple part really ruin the day of a very experienced jeeper. I am also slightly offended that you even think that I look down my nose at anyone with a jeep that takes it offroad.

I am one of the more openminded individuals that exists when it comes to what people want to do with their vehicles.

The term purist was not meant as a derrogative, nor much less an insult. To me it implies a purity of purpose, that kind of dedication that makes for champions in any sport. On the other hand, you have the recreational types, those who enjoy the sport, but who take it less seriously, often much less seriously. When I played college tennis, I was a purist, and I made no apologies for it. Although for me it never meant being rude to others.

So now you feel "slightly offended, " after having made mockery of the language I used in a previous post? Maybe you should lighten up a bit, perhaps try a smiley for a change. Does that agree with an "open mind?"
Old 07-13-2002, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:

I must have misconstrued your intent. In the above post you call me a purist and say that when you were a purist that the less accomplished in your sport "annoyed" the more experienced.

That is why I explained how I look at the sport. As far as mocking you, not my intent in the slightest. I was demonstrating to you that there are those of us that can communicate in any style you prefer. Want to use big words, we can do that. Want to use little words, we can do that also. You pick.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:19 AM

Quote:

I must have misconstrued your intent. In the above post you call me a purist and say that when you were a purist that the less accomplished in your sport "annoyed" the more experienced.

That is why I explained how I look at the sport. As far as mocking you, not my intent in the slightest. I was demonstrating to you that there are those of us that can communicate in any style you prefer. Want to use big words, we can do that. Want to use little words, we can do that also. You pick.

We were a "bit annoyed" that they were using our courts, when we needed the time to practice. That is true. But I do not take it to mean a division between the most and least accomplished, but rather the natural division that you find anywhere between those who are serious about perfecting a skill, and those who are just out for a day of fun.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:28 AM

Poppycock............
Of course you don't need to know mechanical squat to drive a vehicle on dirt roads. Be it a Jeep or a pick up truck for that matter.
I thought we were here to talk about four wheeling.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:15 PM

This is one complicated discussion, you know.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:56 PM

Watch those winkies, Leadfoot, 'cause that kinda stuff will get you in deep trouble 'round these here parts, y'all hear?

(hope mrblaine appreciates my sincere effort to use "little words")
Old 07-13-2002, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Watch those winkies, Leadfoot, 'cause that kinda stuff will get you in deep trouble 'round these here parts, y'all hear?

410 views. Not bad for my 2nd post.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:

First off, no one is in trouble. ("cept maybe Ron) .

I personally chose not to use the emoticons unless I am joking around with someone. I have seen far too many instances where someone intentionally slammed another poster and then put up a stupid smiley as if that could make it all better.

It was also not my intent to have you communicate in a style you are not accustomed to. Do as you wish and I will sincerely try to accomodate you. Personally, I enjoy a lively discussion. I have certainly enjoyed this one.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:42 AM

Smile

Sounds good to me. Much of the time these debates are nothing more than matters of semantics.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Yellow Jeep Chick
Do you want your YJ a LITTLE bit more or a new TJ a LITTLE bit more?? Which will you have more fun with. A bigger or newer JEEP? Just go with your gut, no one can decide for you. good luck
Old 07-14-2002, 03:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to mudpup Send a message via Yahoo to mudpup
Quote:

Want to use big words, we can do that. Want to use little words, we can do that also. You pick.
I vote for little words, big words make my head hurt
Old 07-14-2002, 06:39 PM

Expansive diction can be amusing. Makes one reminisce of past intercourse with mrblaine and Ace. Imaginably, not as distant as we might cogitate.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by LeadFoot

410 views. Not bad for my 2nd post.
I wouldn't get too excited about it. Every time somebody views your post, they take a little piece of your soul.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
Expansive diction can be amusing. Makes one reminisce of past intercourse with mrblaine and Ace. Imaginably, not as distant as we might cogitate.

Makes me glad that I toughed it out and finally managed to earn that H.S. equivalency diploma.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
Ron - I think the word you were searching for was "discourse" or at least I hope it was LOL.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates

Ron - I think the word you were searching for was "discourse" or at least I hope it was LOL.
Intercourse- n.- dealings or communications between individuals, groups, countries, etc.

The meaning you have in mind is further on down the list.

It's obvious that you have never been a member of the Turtle club. One of the membership questions is to give a word that ends in "k" that means intercourse.

talk
Old 07-15-2002, 09:41 AM

Touche'

But don't tell me you didn't look it up to make sure
Old 07-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Touche'

I knew that it meant talk or dialogue between two parties, I just didn't have the exact wording of the definition. That part I did look up.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:30 AM

Robert, when I was a kid and heard about sexual intercourse, the first thing I did was look up sexual/sex, then intercourse. I was disappointed. For some reason I didn't think it referred to men and women talking! I did figure it out though.
Dictionaries have changed since I was a kid, for sure!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Touche'

Much better than to go off half cocked.