Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-29-2002, 12:26 PM

90,000 mile checkup - am I missing anything?

Hi all,
Preparing for a road trip from PA to CO and need to complete my 90,000 mile checkup prior to the trip. Basic info: 99TJ, 4.0L, 5speed, 89,400 miles right now. All major fluids are synthetic, have 8,000 miles on them (7,000 highway), and are clean. I will inspect them again before the trip but am satisfied there are no issues with them.

Parts I plan to replace:
air filter
oil + filter
spark plugs
plug wires
cap + rotor
ignition coil
oxygen sensors
crank position sensor
throttle position sensor
manifold pressure sensor

Radiator, hoses, belt, waterpump, and thermostat all have under 5,000 miles on them.

All sensors are original and plugs, cap, rotor have 30,000 on them. My question/concerns - am I missing any sensors or parts that could leave the TJ dead on the side of the highway? My concern for the sensores is due to a recent intermittent high-idle condition the TJ has developed.

Thanks folks,
mark
Old 07-31-2002, 07:16 AM
Administrator

I messed around under the hood of mine at one point and partially dislodged a vacuum line that caused an intermittent high idle.

From all that I have been hearing and seeing, the engine management systems on the TJ seem to be pretty sensitive to vacuum leaks.

I, like Ron, had a little battery acid run down under the battery tray and eat a little hole in the line to the accumulator. Really fouled up the function of the HVAC controls.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:36 AM

One of the good things about being an old fart is repeated mistakes eventually force you to learn something.
One thing I try to avoid is doing to many things to an engine at one time. Also doing all those things right before a trip.
You get tinkering around in there and next thing you know something is not right and you have 5 things it could be. Much better to have it be one or two possible things. Murphy's law likes to strike here.
I also hate to take a trip with all these untested new parts. Quality control just ain't what it used to be. Murphy's law again!
Good Luck and have a nice trip!
Ron
Old 07-31-2002, 07:55 AM

Good points.
I'm fairly certain the high idle is sensor related, but I will double check all the vacuum lines. It starts idling high (~1300) after long climbs or descents in low range and occasionaly when driving around town for no apparent reason. It will continue to idle high for however long it feels like it, almost as if it's in a cold idle loop. If I kill the engine and restart, it's all good and returns to a normal ~700 rpm idle.

I have a few weeks yet so I think I'll knock out the tune up and O2 sensors on Friday. See how that works out and pick up the other sensors to carry for spares. Just like to be prepared.

thanks guys
mark
Old 07-31-2002, 04:31 PM

I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking a trip across country, then I've got the bumper for you.

In my garage.

Old 08-01-2002, 03:35 AM

bah. I know....I know....
Perhaps I'll get a chance this weekend to stop by
I'm going to be wrenching all day tomorrow and possibly Saturday if my rear coil springs show up. Fronts are sitting in the garage ready to be installed.

BTW - I may make a junkyard run this weekend if I get time. Would you like me to get a tie-rod/drag link assy for you?

Quote:
Originally posted by PK99TJ
I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking a trip across country, then I've got the bumper for you.

In my garage.

Old 08-01-2002, 04:55 AM

Yes definitely.

Thanks Mark
Old 08-02-2002, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Old 08-02-2002, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Overkill Send a message via Yahoo to Overkill
Hey mark, while your at the yard, would you mind keeping your eye out for an XJ 44?
Old 08-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Banned for being bad

Yea how about a new engine
Sorry that sliped out
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!