Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Banned

Thinking about hanging up the 4x4 hobby.

I have enjoyed somethings about this hobby but I'm getting pretty sick of the people. Almost all the deals I have made recently have fallen through. My puppy pictures on this site have been blocked. And the my Jeep is bigger then yours attuide has really been shining lately. While I have met some pretty cool people the good out weight the bad. I'm going to sell every thing and you can find me in the woods enjoying nature getting fit on my mountain bike something that I have enjoyed for over a decade and I have never had to put up with the attudes except for the hikers.

Bye All
God Bless

02_White_TJ_X
Old 02-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Reggae

What makes you think you pictures were blocked on this web site?
Old 02-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Reggae

I visited the following thread:

http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showth...&threadid=6530

Pictures in the first message are in fact blocked, but they are blocked by imagestation.com not by this web site.

Many web sites such as imagestation prohibit direct linking to pictures because they want visitors to go to their web site. Instead of using their bandwidth and bypassing their ads.

We didn't block your pictures, your host did.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Imagestation caught onto the go around... I'm looking to try www.imageevent.com when I get a chance.

Sergey is right....
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:33 PM

Re: Thinking about hanging up the 4x4 hobby.

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
While I have met some pretty cool people the good out weight the bad.....

Bye All
God Bless

02_White_TJ_X
Thanks.

But, if the good outweigh the bad, why are you leaving?

I'm thinking you forgot to take your paranoid pill again.

Nobody is out to get you.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Someone got a little caught up in the drama of the SAGs the other night.

Buh-bye, dramaqueen.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:07 PM
AA reject

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
Someone got a little caught up in the drama of the SAGs the other night.

Buh-bye
Now how did I know that line was coming from you
Some people just need to move closer to the bigger rocks
Old 02-24-2004, 04:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
I visited the following thread:

http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showth...&threadid=6530

Pictures in the first message are in fact blocked, but they are blocked by imagestation.com not by this web site.

Many web sites such as imagestation prohibit direct linking to pictures because they want visitors to go to their web site. Instead of using their bandwidth and bypassing their ads.

We didn't block your pictures, your host did.
All the pictures in the past I have posted where from image station on JU and here. I find it real interesting when you post a pic you see it then it disappears. I'm not saying your not telling the truth but thats what happened here on Thursday.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:08 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Thinking about hanging up the 4x4 hobby.

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
Thanks.

But, if the good outweigh the bad, why are you leaving?

I'm thinking you forgot to take your paranoid pill again.

Nobody is out to get you.....

Allen
No pills... No drama.... Glad I met you Happy jeeping Happy life.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
All the pictures in the past I have posted where from image station on JU and here. I find it real interesting when you post a pic you see it then it disappears. I'm not saying your not telling the truth but thats what happened here on Thursday.
You are welcome to leave or stay. If you are leaving the sport over some pictures that did or did not post, you shouldn't have been involved anyway. It takes more intestinal fortitude and gumption to own an offroad vehicle and actually use it, than a few pictures posting one way or another should be able to upset.

You should also very well know by now if we were doing something to you, it'd be a lot more drastic that messing with your pictures.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
You are welcome to leave or stay. If you are leaving the sport over some pictures that did or did not post, you shouldn't have been involved anyway. It takes more intestinal fortitude and gumption to own an offroad vehicle and actually use it, than a few pictures posting one way or another should be able to upset.

You should also very well know by now if we were doing something to you, it'd be a lot more drastic that messing with your pictures.
I agree with you Blaine. But once again we are misunderstanding each other here. The picture is the only thing I have against this board and it really is no reason at all. Focus on the other 2 reasons I have put in my first post. The beginning and sell of parts is what really took the fun out of it. I used to buy all new parts but funding got short pretty quick. I have had 10 deadbeat buyers in the past month on Sammy parts and I have only sold 11 items. I have stated in the past that I have had pretty good luck with jeep people.

I really don't like being associated with a sport that is considered by most as a hobby that is for drunken rednecks. When I first got into doing 4x4ing I figured I could make a difference and help the sport. There are many good things going on around the sport but it's doesn?t take long to see that there is more garbage in this sport then good. Blaine look at what has happened out at JV with you in the recent past the same crap happens over here. You have had some pretty big run-ins with people about drinking, burning cars, recklessness and just plain foolishness. This has also taken the fun out of it for me.

In the past year I have only been wheeling 5 times. I have spent thousands of dollars it?s not a real good bang for the buck. This has also taken the fun out for me.

Right before I bought the jeep I was doing adventure racing ?Mountain Biking, Trail Running, Kiaking? the people involved with this sport are very encouraging and you don?t see abuses to the environment and the foolishness that goes on in the 4x4 sport. While not all mountain bikers are great people there is a higher percentage that are.

I have enough stress at work during the week that I don?t want to have to put up with a bunch of Crap on the weekend. I want to go out enjoy the woods and not have to put up with other people drinking on the trail and having to pick up there junk. I never had to pick up a beer can while mountain biking unless it was left behind by an off roader.

There are many reasons I?m calling it quits but this is just a couple of the reasons. My goal now is to get back in shape I need to loss a ton of weight and go racing again.

This being said does not reflect what I think of people on this board. This board is about the best when it comes to the off road comunity.

02_WHITE_TJ_X
Old 02-24-2004, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I really don't like being associated with a sport that is considered by most as a hobby that is for drunken rednecks. When I first got into doing 4x4ing I figured I could make a difference and help the sport.
If you were not one of the above mentioned people, you did help the sport. Thank you.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Banned for being bad

ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:26 AM

So, does that mean you'll be trading in the TJ on a nice Subaru Outback (sometimes I think they come with mountain bikes already installed on the roof) or are you just going to keep the TJ on the pavement?

Mike S.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by meatblanket
So, does that mean you'll be trading in the TJ on a nice Subaru Outback (sometimes I think they come with mountain bikes already installed on the roof) or are you just going to keep the TJ on the pavement?

Mike S.

Keeping the TJ I love a convertable. My mountain bike goes on top of my wifes Xterra. Nissian puts on the Xterra adventure race series. And the only Subaru that I like is the WRX
Old 02-24-2004, 08:52 AM

Let me use three of my favorite cliche's, all of which work well here:

1.Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

2.You're either part of the problem or your part of the solution.

3. If you don't like it, you can get the **** out.

Seth
Old 02-24-2004, 08:53 AM

Hmm.
If you keep the TJ, you'll wheel the TJ. Maybe you won't spend $ for mods, maybe you won't go very often, but it will still get wheeled!
Old 02-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Hey 02,

It still sounds like you have your doubts on the pictures. In the past, the way to get around Imagestation blocks on direct linking was to delete the extra .jpg text at the end of the link. Apparently they wised up to the fact that people were easily bypassing it and made a change to the system. If you doubt this, go on JU and read through some of the old picture threads and look for all the red X's.

As for wheeling not being worth your $$ investment, only you can decide that. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by JLemieux
If you were not one of the above mentioned people, you did help the sport. Thank you.
Thanks

But I also made a complete idiot of myself also arguing on the jeep boards and that in it self was bad for the unity of the sport. I truly think if the good side of the off road community does not unite it will be beat out by the environment whacko?s. Yes I know about the Blue Ribbon coalition but they have about as much power as a stump lets not fool ourselves.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
Let me use three of my favorite cliche's, all of which work well here:

1.Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

2.You're either part of the problem or your part of the solution.

3. If you don't like it, you can get the **** out.

Seth
That attitude is really good for the sport
Old 02-24-2004, 09:24 AM

Tracy,

I've used to be into MTB big time this was 14 years ago when we all road rigid bikes. I've been in and out of that sport/hobby since then. I raced once in Big Bear - it sucked for me (because I'm not, nor never will be, in uber shape) I have a $3000 garage ornament now that I hardly ride due to time - which is sad.

Let me tell you though that egos, attitude, trash, and bull$hit are in high supply in all sports - 4x4, bikes, boating, golf, softball, etc.

If you don't want any confrontation you should pick a solitary hobby like bird watching - although I'm sure you'd run into someone someday that gave you crap about your binoculars.

Just off the top of my head - the list of BS around bikes:

Baggy shorts vs tight shorts
Roadies vs. MTB
Shave vs. Hairy
hardtail vs. full suspension
Single speed vs. gears
etc. etc. etc.

See the parallels? Wait until you find a MTB forum and get into the same $hit there that you get into on the Jeep boards.

Here is my advice - enjoy whatever you want to enjoy, but stop playing on the internet. I don't think you handle this form of communication very well and tend to overreact and blow up pretty quick.

Have fun and send me a dog before you go.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2004, 09:25 AM

Quote:
That attitude is really good for the sport
Almost as bad as saying "I really don't like being associated with a sport that is considered by most as a hobby that is for drunken rednecks" ... not! Intentional or not, your post came across as I'm better than all this riff raff and I'm heading to greener pastures away from the unwashed masses. What's Seth supposed to think and do ... convince you you're wrong and should stay?

People have been courteous to you on this board, drooled over your puppies (Robert & Jeff both even wanted one) and you basically drop a few terds on the board and say you are leaving. Seth was basically saying goodbye.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Banned

Ok I agree picture where not blocked still has no effect on my decision. But I do find it very interesting if you look at that Thread and when the pictures disappeared you would find it very suspicious.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Ok I agree picture where not blocked still has no effect on my decision. But I do find it very interesting if you look at that Thread and when the pictures disappeared you would find it very suspicious.
... only if you're paranoid! Why would two of the senior members on this board drool over said dogs and then have your pictures disappear? Your "reasoning" confuses me.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:35 AM

I don't know that I necessarily disagree with you, maybe more in the way you have expressed it. I've met some great people and some real a$$holes - no different than anywhere else in life IMO but really, I'm pretty much done with the entire "I'm hardcore" "bring it on" thing that seems to permeate the sport lately.

To me its no big deal how hardcore somebody is or says that they are, all it takes it time and money - I'm proof of that. I didn't know a thing about this stuff or Jeeps when I bought my rig in 98 and after a serious infusion of dollars and time, well, my rig works pretty good and can take on some pretty tough trails.

Big deal. There will also be someone else with more money, time and resources and I have other things to do. My wallet is done with spending money on my Jeep and thats where I'm at. I don't care if I only wheel 3-5 times a year at the moment as long as they are meaningful trips that get me into the backcountry and far away from the a$$holes. I get enough of them at work.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Tracy,

I've used to be into MTB big time this was 14 years ago when we all road rigid bikes. I've been in and out of that sport/hobby since then. I raced once in Big Bear - it sucked for me (because I'm not, nor never will be, in uber shape) I have a $3000 garage ornament now that I hardly ride due to time - which is sad.

Let me tell you though that egos, attitude, trash, and bull$hit are in high supply in all sports - 4x4, bikes, boating, golf, softball, etc.

If you don't want any confrontation you should pick a solitary hobby like bird watching - although I'm sure you'd run into someone someday that gave you crap about your binoculars.

Just off the top of my head - the list of BS around bikes:

Baggy shorts vs tight shorts
Roadies vs. MTB
Shave vs. Hairy
hardtail vs. full suspension
Single speed vs. gears
etc. etc. etc.

See the parallels? Wait until you find a MTB forum and get into the same $hit there that you get into on the Jeep boards.

Here is my advice - enjoy whatever you want to enjoy, but stop playing on the internet. I don't think you handle this form of communication very well and tend to overreact and blow up pretty quick.

Have fun and send me a dog before you go.

Jeff
You only have 1 bike? I have a Hardtail and a Full suspension and road bike I'm not into the single speed thing. I agree with you the problems that I had on the boards comes from being to uptight. I do not belong to any bike forms and I'm not planing on joining any I have been riding bikes for over 15 years and raced road bikes at the USCF junior level when I was in HS and after that raced mountain bikes and after that tried some adventure racing. Thanks for the advice Jeff and I agree with you the Internet is not a good form for me to communicate. I only have 1 puppy left and my offer still stands from last week. You fly me and the pup out to CA take me to JV talk Blaine into letting me ride with him and fly me back you have my last pup for free
Old 02-24-2004, 09:58 AM

I'm gonna skip the foreplay and get to right to ****ing.

You are an attention whore. This post, and virtually every other post I've EVER seen you put up is all about YOU. No valuable tech, nothing about driving skill, nothing about the good times you had on trail, just LOOK AT ME and how the world has WRONGED ME !

'Woe is me! I'm not wheelin' enough, I've spent too much money, the people are assholes! Woe IS ME!

GO AWAY! We don't need your negativity and I, for one, have absolutely no intention of trying to convince to do anything other than LEAVE.

And when you say things like 'I'm getting pretty sick of the people', you're insulting each and every one of us who love wheelin' dearly. So. You've insulted me and my friends. I'm not gonna stroke you off and beg you to stay. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Jerk.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:10 AM

I must say I'm about at the same point.
I'm real tired of the mine is bigger than yours or our group is better than yours attitude. We (the offroad community) seem to be getting louder not better.
I was mentioning it to the wife this morning. She thought that maybe it was just winter and that I need to get out more.
I kind of feel like Robert lately. I have a few projects to finish on the jeep then I think that it for a while. The jeep will be following my fifthwheel and taking me to the farthest deepest place that I can get to cast my fly line. Monache Meadows comes to mind as well as a few sierra hidaways I know.
Hopefully my feeling will change but if they don't... what ever.
I need to get back to making the sono tube airplane for the kindergarden vehicle parade... and you thought jeep mods were time consuming.
Scratch
Old 02-24-2004, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
I'm gonna skip the foreplay and get to right to ****ing.

You are an attention whore. This post, and virtually every other post I've EVER seen you put up is all about YOU. No valuable tech, nothing about driving skill, nothing about the good times you had on trail, just LOOK AT ME and how the world has WRONGED ME !

'Woe is me! I'm not wheelin' enough, I've spent too much money, the people are assholes! Woe IS ME!

GO AWAY! We don't need your negativity and I, for one, have absolutely no intention of trying to convince to do anything other than LEAVE.

And when you say things like 'I'm getting pretty sick of the people', you're insulting each and every one of us who love wheelin' dearly. So. You've insulted me and my friends. I'm not gonna stroke you off and beg you to stay. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Jerk.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:14 AM

Arrow

O2,

With a string of what can be viewed of defeats:

Differences with friends.
Rolling my jeep pretty hard.
Loss of time to Jeep.
Deteriorating condition of Jeep.
Smaller funds to repair/upgrade.
Friends selling thier Jeeps.
Others not wheeling anymore.
Lack of stomach to run severe trails in my own jeep.

I can easily cry fowl and be justified giving up. It's broken, people are not wheeling, some are leaving, and some of the issues you have.

But upon the counsel of several friends, and upon thought: I've made some great friends, and met some great people. While none would "abondon" me if I gave up, I'd loose the connection. And, even more so, there is the oppertunity to meet more people, and learn more things. The Jeep will get repaired eventually, some kind of way. Some friendships will mend. Others will strain and break off. It's less about the Jeep, and more about a state of mind. Less about a sport, and more about a feeling.

So, consider that. If your heart isn't in it, give up the speeches and move on. As Saul Bellow said "Live or die you fool, don't poison everything".

And, BTW, single speed is all you need. Anything else is just floppy chains.