Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-15-2004, 04:15 PM

ORO's X-line... mrblaine?

mrblaine... weren't you evaluating the x-line? If so, have you come to any conclusions?
"ALIEN" <>< Heb. 11:13

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 10-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Re: ORO's X-line... mrblaine?

Quote:
Originally posted by -=Alien=-
mrblaine... weren't you evaluating the x-line? If so, have you come to any conclusions?
Yes, I have been, to date I find no fault. It works as advertised. It is easy to handle, I haven't managed to break it, I have done a number of good pulls, it functions with the Safety Thimble perfectly and it splices well.

I would only change two things about it, I hate the color and the price is above average for the intended use. If the price were commensurate with the mid priced offerings out there, I feel it would sell a lot more.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:15 PM

Thanks!

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 10-16-2004, 06:13 AM

i thought you had some Krawlers to run also? or waiting for MT/R failure/s?
Old 10-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by KJP98TJ
i thought you had some Krawlers to run also? or waiting for MT/R failure/s?
17" rims. I have a mismatched set and trying to get another from alcoa is a pain.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:57 PM

Is there another synthetic line you would recommend over the x-line? I'm passing my current winch and line on to my brother, so I'm looking for a new one. I had Amsteel before and was happy with it, but I'd like to upgrade if possible. TIA.

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 10-16-2004, 06:26 PM

not sure what the case is, but MP seems to have more failures, or i should say i've read more MP failures than others. i just don't read about amsteel failures, i'm sure there are. possibly on forums i don't read.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:58 PM

I've heard of a few failures with the Masterpull lines as well. A friend of mine broke his on it's first pull! No problems with my amsteel... three years now.

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 10-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I've heard of a few failures with the Masterpull lines as well. A friend of mine broke his on it's first pull! No problems with my amsteel... three years now.
I'm fairly convinced that a bad batch of MP got out of the factory about 3 years ago. That seems to be when most of the failures occurred.
I know we used the crap out of our lines a few weeks ago and they all worked flawlessly. That would be the ORO X-Line and the MP stuff.

The other part is that a few failures propagate enormously until it's just bizarre due to the 'net. Personally, I know of one, heard of another.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:19 PM

I bought my amsteel line from Masterpull years ago. I was under the impression that their lines were now being made of a different, less durable material... the result being failure. If this is not the case, a bad batch would make sense.

I'm just trying to find out some first hand information, because it seems that everyone makes synthetic lines now.

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 10-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
A wheeling buddy has MP line, I have Amsteel Blue. Both have seen their fair share of work, neither have broken yet.
His MP line is looking much more tattered, frayed and sun-faded than my Amsteel Blue.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I bought my amsteel line from Masterpull years ago. I was under the impression that their lines were now being made of a different, less durable material... the result being failure. If this is not the case, a bad batch would make sense.

I'm just trying to find out some first hand information, because it seems that everyone makes synthetic lines now.
I've spoken with Emil at length about this issue. He sees no rhyme or reason for the failures and very few were reported to him.

All the synthetic line suppliers to the 4wd market owe a debt of gratitude to him. He has spent a huge amount of money paving the way for acceptance of a very unfamiliar concept.

He originally started with Amsteel Blue. However, Samson, who makes A/B, will not condone the use of their line for our applications in the sizes we need in order for our winches to have reasonable capacities.

To test that statement by Emil, I sent Samson an e-mail requesting a recommendation from them for the appropriate size to use on a 9500 lb rated winch. True to industry standard that adheres to Working Load Limits, they came back with 5/8" diameter line for my uses. We all know that it's not reasonable to expect us to adhere to those restrictions.

That caused Emil to find another supplier with a similar product with more offroad friendly attitudes, or maybe just turning a blind eye.

Having used all three lines, I would spool up any of them in an instant and hang my jeep from them.

In reality, the only line with a durability issue are those with the aramid family fibers. And then only if you violate certain rules. The fiber does not like being placed under load at 90 degrees or greater to it's axis over an inappropriate radius. That why you need a large roller or radius hawse fairlead and pay close attention to your rigging.

I will say that we got lazy and I used a shackle hanging in a receiver as a snatch block with the MP stuff and I would never do that with the aramid stuff.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
A wheeling buddy has MP line, I have Amsteel Blue. Both have seen their fair share of work, neither have broken yet.
His MP line is looking much more tattered, frayed and sun-faded than my Amsteel Blue.
That seems to be a case by case problem. Robert's line which was my original A/B is almost white and very tattered looking. Scott's very abused MP is actually not too bad considering and looks better than the A/B.

Of course, the A/B is smaller and has been through the mill and then some. Then again, we tortured Scott's on the last run, enough so that we melted the boots on the terminals on his winch. Ah screw it, maybe they need little odometers and stress recorders on them so we can record the number of feet vs. amount of stress to determine actual use.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

<SNIP>

In reality, the only line with a durability issue are those with the aramid family fibers. And then only if you violate certain rules. The fiber does not like being placed under load at 90 degrees or greater to it's axis over an inappropriate radius. That why you need a large roller or radius hawse fairlead and pay close attention to your rigging.

Blaine, which one(s) are made with the aramid type, or family, of fibers.

Thanks,
Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 10-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthTJ
Blaine, which one(s) are made with the aramid type, or family, of fibers.

Thanks,
Fred
Typically, the higher heat resistant fibers such as those used in the X-Line.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:56 PM

Would you recommend running a heat guard on the Amsteel line? I never used it before on my Ramsey 8000, but I'm not familiar with how hot this new Warn (XD9000i) can get.

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 10-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Would you recommend running a heat guard on the Amsteel line? I never used it before on my Ramsey 8000, but I'm not familiar with how hot this new Warn (XD9000i) can get.
Will it hurt anything if you do run it?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Will it hurt anything if you do run it?
Good point...

www.jeepaddicts.com
Old 10-17-2004, 05:59 PM

a friend of mine and i bought our MP lines within weeks of each other. his rig is built much more than mine, YJ, 8274, TBI350, TH350, D300, 14b, D60, 39.5's...etc. broke his MP rope easily with his first pulls. however, my low to medium(now) built TJ has been fine. i've also pulled stumps out and stalled the winch a few times (REP8000).

whereas when my friend broke his MP, at a wheeling trip in canada, several rigs with amsteel (billavista being one) were fine, and still are.

not many people up here like rope, so those are my only "first" hand experiences.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Religious use of the abrasion guards will go miles in extending the line's life. I run two 5' sections.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:45 PM
AA reject

I have a masterpull 3/8's super line rated at 26,500 lbs. Some people think it's a little stiff {you could bend your name in it } . It is a little harder do handle on the drum but seems to work well.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:16 AM

Quote:
The new Masterpul lines come with a heat guard. That being said, I never ran one on my original Amsteel line and it showed absolutely no ill effect after 3 years on the drum of my old M8000. I upgraded to the Masterpul 105' x 3/8ths line for the new 9.5XP winch that now sits on my rig.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:59 AM

I have a hand me down rope and have had no problem until this last trip I melted the corrosion caps on the winch and bonded the last 2 coils to the drum. They where not fused together but it was a BEEATCH to un-spool the last little bit. All in all I would not trade the synthetic rope for anything steel.

Scott
Old 10-19-2004, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
I have a hand me down rope and have had no problem until this last trip I melted the corrosion caps on the winch and bonded the last 2 coils to the drum. They where not fused together but it was a BEEATCH to un-spool the last little bit. All in all I would not trade the synthetic rope for anything steel.

Scott
Wow, didn't know it got that hot, Scott.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:11 PM

Yes 40 min or so of winch time will do it.

all is fine with the wich though that is probally why those XJ ****$ made it over the trail.

Scott